Forums are back in action! ×

New Recruit Reporting for Duty

Hello everyone! 

I'm finally biting the bullet! (Note: This post is a bit of a brain dump but I just want to get it out there.)

Origin Story

I have never been an active person apart from walking a lot when I was younger. I was always terrible at sports in school and that kind of put me off. Now I'm 35 years old and over the past 7-8 years the weight has really crept up. I've realised that I've been avoiding going to social stuff because I don't like how I look and how fat I've become. It's also a general fitness thing for me. When I'm fitter, I feel more alive and that I can take on anything. 

Also an older woman I work with is having serious knee issues relating to being overweight for years and that was the final wake-up jolt that I needed that I need to do this now rather than keep ignoring my own personal situation.  

Major Hurdles

1. I have the willpower of a... well, of something that doesn't have much willpower! This is a skill I need to nurture but know it'll take time and patience. 

2. I drink soda... too much soda. I know, I know...

3. Patience and understanding (for myself)... Giving myself the time and space to do this bit by bit. In life, I am way too self-critical and tend to be very 'all or nothing'. 

I've decided to join the Academy so that I have a clear path to follow to keep me going in the right direction at least while I get started and find my feet. 

To be honest, I find all of this a bit scary but I'm here and I'm going to fight for myself and towards my healthy future. 

Kathryn

Welcome to the rebellion, Kathryn!

I totally get feeling self conscious about weight. I avoid swimming for the same reason you avoid social events. As for your goals, building accountability helps to overcome the lack of motivation until you've built a habit.

I quit soda cold turkey, but you might want to gradually decrease how much you drink. Whichever works best for you. The 'all or nothing' mindset can be countered with the 'high score' mentality.

For example: you decide to quit soda cold turkey, but during the week you slip and drink a can/bottle. Don't be discouraged if that happens. Count the days you spent without soda, and beat that score! 

Good luck and keep us posted.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Welcome :D To develop willpower (especially in the exercise part of life) is there anything you really like doing? Maybe see if you have a group in the area to start walking/jogging with or other organized events- that way you get both a support/training group as well as a date and something to strive fore achievement wise. That could help keep you on track for a bit willpower wise until it becomes habit! (Or you can be like me and keep signing up for things at future dates so you always have a date to work towards :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both