Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Ya!

I'm a long time lurker. I've been following the site since around October of last year when I started my Walk to Mordor. I'm not sure 100% about what I'm hoping to get from coming out of the lurky shadows but I'm pretty sure I'm looking for community and accountability. So let me tell you a bit about me and my goals.

I'm female and in my mid-twenties, over weight and sorely lacking endurance. For work I take care of my mother who's recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers (which does not help me stop stress eating), and for fun I play Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion and I absolutely adore embroidery so yeah not exactly active past times.

One great thing is I don't have internet at home, or a car, so I have to walk to the the college library whenever I want to get online, about 2 miles round trip. Since October I've gone from gasping for air and doubling over when walking just a block to now walking on average 5 miles a day. My current goal is to walk 10 miles/day consistently and work myself up to 20miles/day. I mean if hobbits can do it why can't I? My Walk to Mordor is seven months in and I'm only fifteen days into the journey, it's a bit of a kick in the pants. My absolute huge goal is to walk the Appalachian Trail. That'll be down the road though. I'm so happy to be here and a part of this finally.

So to sum it up:

female

mid-twenties

overweight (with bad knees)

bit of a gamer

becoming an avid walker

my guild: Rangers!

Do you know what's wrong with your knees? 

Docs always thought mine had cartilage issues and I had patellofemoral syndrome making it painful to go up stairs and impossible to run without a brace unless I wanted to dislocate my knee (I had tracking issues in both knees). 

A year after picking up cycle and strength training I have 0 issues (actually 0 issues 6 months after starting cycle and strength training, to the point where I did a 10 miler without a brace and didn't bust my knee or feel any pain during the run!!). Turns out that if you strengthen the muscles in your leg it helps take a ton of stress off your knees- who knew!? Basic bodyweight and increased walking would be a great start based on the info you provided!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I know what's wrong with my knee the big sciencey word was Patella tracking disorder but it's essentially my kneecap is grinding on bone because the kneecap refuses to go where it's supposed to. The Physical therapist I went to see said the same thing, you just need to strengthen the leg muscles and they'll pull the patella back where it belongs, so that's what I've been doing (not very consistently) and now I can climb stairs without excruciating pain.

I'd love to get into cycling but out here the cars practically gun for you so I'll stick with walking for now ^_^

• Like 1