Forums are back in action! ×

I want to do this thing

Hey there, I'm Kai, 20 (almost 21) year old male weighing in at 109kgs/230 pounds and 5’10â€. My health (mental and physical) is definitely below par and for ages now I have wanted to do something about it.

I found NF a while ago and have read many an article and post here in the forums. My issue is with a lack of motivation to do anything about it. I really want to, and I know I need to. But due to my health things keep getting in the way.

I play sports usually at least once a week in the form of quidditch (for those that don't know, I mean the full contact, mixed gender, hardcore game played with a PVC/wooden pole between your legs) and I love it. Thing is I really don't have the stamina to stay on pitch as long as I would like to. I stay in defence instead of offence simply so I can stay on for longer and I really want to change this.

I had a major operation on my chest following gynocamastia back in December which my body is still recovering from and now I have a massive beer belly with a flat chest and look entirely out of proportion. I also have weak joints due to severely low vitamin D and bad knees following an accident as a young teenager.

Now don't get me wrong, I want to get fit, I want to eat healthier (I aim to go paleo eventually but my current living situation leaves me in a difficult position whereby my partner - due to their own health - struggles with me going in the kitchen, but also is unable to cook themselves very often), and once I get back to university in September I am living with another NF member who is also going paleo so hopefully it should be a little easier. But for now I want to make a start in some way, even if it is small.

So right now I have a two questions.

1. What advice can people give me baring in mind the above? I am also on a very tight budget.

2. What class/race do I fit? I have zero clue, despite having looked at so many articles and posts about it.

Sorry for such a long rambling post!

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion!

To answer some of your questions:

You can get lots of produce for a very reasonable price. Lettuce, cabbage, squash (all kinds), onions, carrots, etc. are nutritious and usually not too expensive. For protein sources, that's going to vary based on which cuts you buy and what animal it's from. Track down stuff that's on sale, collect coupons religiously and buy in bulk then freeze.

Batch cooking then freezing meals is a good time saver too. Do you have a slow cooker? That's a great way to make cooking easy. You can find one for a good price if you shop a bit. 

For the class and race thing: Race is mostly about your general appearance. Ogres are tall and big, Elves are slender, etc. Feel free to pick whatever mythical creature you like. Class depends on the kind of exercise you intend to do. Everyone starts as a recruit for the first challenge, then you can move on to a guild of your choice. You can check the guild sub forum for more info.

The basic breakdown is like this:

Adventurers: beginners, weight loss, general health improvement, etc.

Warriors: weight lifting

Assassins: parkour, bodyweight training, gymnastics, etc.

Monks: martial arts.

Druids: Yoga, meditation, etc.

Scouts: long distance running, cycling, etc.

Rangers: Mix and match. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

My desire to respond to your race/class question with 'Yer a wizard, Haribo...' is very, very strong. 

I honestly think one of the hardest parts about changing your diet is living closely with someone who doesn't want to/can't eat the same way. I went through it in my later years living at home as a new vegetarian, and in past relationships... now, it's a little easier, though my boyfriend and I refer to it as the Jack Sprat life. (He'd like to lose weight, I have the metabolism of a hummingbird.) It'll take some getting used to, but I think once you get into the swing of your diet changes, it won't seem so difficult.

Welcome Kai!!!!

Good for you on recognizing your needs and even recognzing the challenges associated with them.  Start with one step, followed by another, and another , ....lather, rinse, repeat.  Your journey will unfold as it should, and soon you'll frind yourself in exactly where you should be.  Enjoy the journey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, thank you for your wonderful input!

I do have a slow cooker actually yes. I haven't used it yet though, mostly as I am afraid that everything will turn to mush as I have had a few times before!

Also that's great advice with the classes too thanks. Tbh I think I will be a bit of a Ranger! I want to do swimming, bodyweight training, cycling and also some meditation and martial arts along with my quidditch haha.

I will have to think a bit more about my race, I am pretty average height but a chubbier guy (not 'large' perse but I definitely have a stomach on me).

Class/race:

While you figure things out, you can always go adventurer (you'll have to be in the recruits to start with, anyway).

For your race--hmm... well, there's nothing wrong with being human. :)  Don't stress about it too much, as you can always change it later, but you could go half-orc? Or, pick a race that fits your personality/aspirations. For example: I picked air elemental because I'm an aerialist. I'm not particularly fae or dainty, but it fits what I do, instead.