Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings (this is long)

I am a happily married 43 yo father of a 6 mo old and a 2 ½ yo. My nerd credentials: I studied engineering in college, before my ADD made me bored of it, and I finished with a degree in biology; in the process of writing my senior paper I caught several hundred frogs in the north woods of Minnesota; I currently teach middle school science. In my younger days I raced road bikes and mountain bikes and dabbled in cyclocross. In the last 10 years I have become overweight and seriously unfit. I am working back toward being fit and strong.

Stats: 5' 11''. Currently 177 pounds, with a 20.1% bodyfat, I can now do 11 push-ups and 1 pull-up. In June, just before the birth of my youngest, I was at 192 pounds and ~ 25% bf and could manage 2 push-ups and no pull-ups. For reference, racing weight was 155 (road) and 165 (MtB) at 9% bf, I probably couldn’t do any push-ups or pull-ups back then.

My nerd fitness goal: I am going to become fast enough, strong enough, and fit enough to survive the zombie apocalypse. Weapon of choice – 6 pound splitting maul, hand axe if we’re on the move.

My selfish fitness goal: I am going to become fit, strong, and lean enough to race mountain bike racing and cyclocross again (I don’t have the financial resources or time for road biking).

My life fitness goals: to become more fit allowing a better quality of life with my family. Surviving into old age - almost none of the men in my family survive into their sixties. As an older dad, I must be one of them.

None of my goals require a lot bulky muscle, strong and lean with a big dose of muscular endurance is what I’m looking for, in other words functional fitness; swinging an axe all day can wear a guy out.

Tools: I’ve been doing Shovelglove since September 1 – this is a great metcon workout and has really leaned me down and made me stronger. I’ve started to mix in kettlebells. Sandbags, running, and riding are next on the agenda.

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom,

-ted

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hi Ted, I am a 41yo with a 4 and a 1yo daughter. I weigh 160#s from 255 in 2011 dropping from 28%bf to ~14%. I run ~40 miles/week, alternate 50 pullups and 100 situps every day, and recharge my energy by reading about the amazing achievements of the people on this forum. I also did it to be able to make it to the day when my daughters marry, and would like to send my grandkids off to college. Look fwd to walking through my journey alongside you, fellow traveler...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Hey Ted, I'm 37yo with 4 and 6yo daughters. I am working toward that fit healthy lifestyle as well so I can be there for the long haul with my family. I can't keep up with Etf, but I have been moving forward as well with running, push ups, pull ups and weight loss. Welcome to the forum.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Hi, I decided to delurk after noticing that not everyone here is a kid. It's nice to see people with similar goals as me. Despite wanting to race again, my real goal is to develop life long habits that will see me through the long haul without taking handfuls of pills like my dad. I haven't thought about my grandkids going to college, but I sure want to meet them one day.

ETF, that is amazing. From where I stand, doing 50 pullups in one day is something akin to flapping my arms and flying.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

This is the pic. that motivated me to get back in shape. I had spent the summer going to the Y 3 days a week and using the machines and riding my bike ~100 miles a week, with little change in my strength or body composition. I figured I needed something different and did some Googling on functional fitness and a week later I was Shovelgloving everyday.

post-3909-13567243246781_thumb.jpg

On 12/6/2011 at 8:16 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I am a happily married 43 yo father of a 6 mo old and a 2 ½ yo. My nerd credentials: I studied engineering in college, before my ADD made me bored of it, and I finished with a degree in biology; in the process of writing my senior paper I caught several hundred frogs in the north woods of Minnesota; I currently teach middle school science. In my younger days I raced road bikes and mountain bikes and dabbled in cyclocross. In the last 10 years I have become overweight and seriously unfit. I am working back toward being fit and strong.

Stats: 5' 11''. Currently 177 pounds, with a 20.1% bodyfat, I can now do 11 push-ups and 1 pull-up. In June, just before the birth of my youngest, I was at 192 pounds and ~ 25% bf and could manage 2 push-ups and no pull-ups. For reference, racing weight was 155 (road) and 165 (MtB) at 9% bf, I probably couldn’t do any push-ups or pull-ups back then.

My nerd fitness goal: I am going to become fast enough, strong enough, and fit enough to survive the zombie apocalypse. Weapon of choice – 6 pound splitting maul, hand axe if we’re on the move.

My selfish fitness goal: I am going to become fit, strong, and lean enough to race mountain bike racing and cyclocross again (I don’t have the financial resources or time for road biking).

My life fitness goals: to become more fit allowing a better quality of life with my family. Surviving into old age - almost none of the men in my family survive into their sixties. As an older dad, I must be one of them.

None of my goals require a lot bulky muscle, strong and lean with a big dose of muscular endurance is what I’m looking for, in other words functional fitness; swinging an axe all day can wear a guy out.

Tools: I’ve been doing Shovelglove since September 1 – this is a great metcon workout and has really leaned me down and made me stronger. I’ve started to mix in kettlebells. Sandbags, running, and riding are next on the agenda.

Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom,

-ted

Hi Ted,

You've been a member at NF for a long time - longer than most.  

How have you found it?  Good?

How are you in terms of achieving your fitness and health goals?