Forums are back in action! ×

CoreyD's Failboat!

All Aboard!

So I had my first fail last night and I'm really excited about it. During my overhead press I failed on the 3rd rep of my 3rd set (I do 5x5 normally) at 110lb. It's been my hardest lift and I've been struggling with it the last 2 weeks, so I was expecting this. I was actually pretty surprised I didn't fail at 105lb.

Anyway, I'll try 110lb again next time it comes around (probably Monday), and if I failboat it again, I'll download to 100lb for the next workout and build it back up again. Either that or continue working at 110lb and finishing the rest of the sets at 100lb once I fail at 110lb.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

All aboard the failboat! I failed the first time I did squats, lost my balance and made a big scene since it was so loud when I dropped it. (My husband had wandered off to look for a plate instead of spotting me. He learned after that.) A really huge body builder with a vaguely eastern European accent came over and showed me how to squat properly and got me a chair so if I fell again I could just sit down in the chair. I was very embarrassed at first, but now I think it was neat. :)

Leimanu: Well, I stalled the second time I tried to do 110 lb 5x5, so I added a heavier 115 lb 5x3 on my other lifting day and it helped me power through the 110 lb 5x5 the next time with no problems. Yesterday I did 120 lb 5x3 and think I should get through the 115 lb 5x5 tomorrow. I've found that the ease/success of this lift more than any other varies most with my daily energy levels. If I'm tired or feeling weak, this will be the lift most likely to fail, and if I have high energy and am feeling good, it's the easiest lift of the day.

Nutmeg: Congrats! Failing at lifts is always a net positive as long as you don't get hurt in the process. You always learn something new or are forced to push harder. My only concern is that if you are squatting shallow enough that you could sit in the chair if you failed, you aren't going deep enough. I know my butt comes within 12-18 inches of the ground when I squat down.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Another voyage on the failboat! I failed on the last rep of my last set of 270lb squats. It wasn't as bad as I thought, though I set it down in a different way than I thought I would. I just went back down to the bottom of the squat, let go of the bar (stayed on my shoulders itself) and leaned forward. Since the pins are only set about 2 inches below the bar at the bottom, I had to lean forward just a bit before it rested on them.

I also failed on my bench at 205lb on the last rep of sets 4 and 5. The first time I roll of shamed just to see what it was like. It sucks. I won't be doing it again unless absolutely needed. The second time I had a spot.

ALSO failed on bent rows, but that was more a product of being exhausted from the other two lifts as well as my confidence being shot for the day than anything else I think.

500 / 330 / 625