Forums are back in action! ×

No more burnouts, time to be SMART about fitness!

Hey everyone, I discovered this site the other day and, after reading some of Steve's blog posts, wondered why I've been approaching exercise the wrong way my whole life! I'm a 24-year-old IT project manager and know all about SMART goals and how to get things done, but when it came to being healthy I always took the all-or-nothing approach. I spent a week eating primal and racking up 20,000 steps each day on my Fitbit only to crash to Netflix binging, frozen pizza and beer. Lesson 1: willpower is finite.

Since I had an aha moment within minutes, I decided I should probably stick around and learn some more!

Right now I'm about 5'7", 160lbs with a small frame, and according to Withings around 21% body fat. I don't have a lot of strength right now and I'd say my body is a little soft right now. Ideally I'd like to slim down a bit, I know you can't spot reduce fat but I want to see a flat stomach one day and if I can trim some other parts of my body that's fine as well. My insurance company will give me some extra money if my BMI is in a healthy range (it's just over 25) so I'm hoping to shed 10-15 pounds along the way.

I'm also hoping that better diet and exercise regimen will help me fight depression. I've been trying different meds and the side effects are often worse than what they're supposed to be treating. I'm hoping that I can use them as a short-term crutch to pick myself up and start living better!

On the nerd side: As I mentioned before my guilty/unhealthy pleasure is Netflix binging, I just started watching the new Doctor Who and I'm really enjoying it! Am I the only one who liked the 9th doctor better than the 10th, though?? I'm an RPG fan, playing The Witcher 3 right now and re-playing various Final Fantasy games as well, and like to read or listen to fantasy novels (starting The Runelords series by David Farland this week).

Looking forward to making new friends and developing better habits!

• Like 1