Forums are back in action! ×

Vibrams for my birthday!

Posted Image

My wife got me Vibrams for my birthday! I thought I was going to have to wait until spring to get them and train in them, I guess not now. The only thing I am worried about is training with them in the cold. Will my feet get cold?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Posted Image

My wife got me Vibrams for my birthday! I thought I was going to have to wait until spring to get them and train in them, I guess not now. The only thing I am worried about is training with them in the cold. Will my feet get cold?

Nice! Welcome to the minimalist club! Training in the cold takes practice if you are used to socked feet. You can get the Injinji toe socks and they help keep the tootsies warm. I've had my KSOs for two years and my feet now are hardened to the point where as long as I don't run in freezing water they'll be fine. Remarkable appendages really.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Yeah, I figured once they toughened up and built the callouses they are supposed to, they would be like the bottom of the feet. I unfortunately can't use the socks because the Vibrams won't fit with them on. I tried at the store and had to pick between the Vibrams that fit with socks but were too big without or the ones that were too tight with socks but fit like a glove without. I went with the later, didn't feel like having another dozen pairs of socks and you can throw the Vibrams right in the washer. Mine are KSO's as well.

They guy at the store told me to be careful not to toss them in the dryer. Have you ever done this accidentally? What are the results? I'm assuming it's because some of the connections are done with glue?

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

noice i'm going to get some in a few days (hopefully!) but i've got to go across the country to get em (2 hours by train is just down the road to u yanks but gotta talk perspective here :P) btw what are they like handling the wet? do they keep you dry (unless u stand in a whopping great big puddle oc)

Raining like crazy here right now. I'm wearing the KSO's and water gets right into them. I imagine there are more water tight models.

Walked around in them all afternoon at work and the mall, also drove for 3 hours. Definitely a small amount of Achilles soreness. I'm going to try to get up early for a very short jog in them tomorrow morning.

500 / 330 / 625

I ran/walked the half mile or so to the park with a major detour through the local cemetery to play with these today before doing my angry birds.

First the positives. I completely understand the whole minimilistic running thing now and am currently in like with it. Love is a possibility, but I don't wanna come on too fast and seem clingy. You can go anywhere and change direction quickly and you feel lighter on your feet. My favorite part was being able to run through mud and muck up to my ankles and not have to worry about destroying my shoes. On a side note, damn the water is cold in pa in December. Also, not nearly as sore as I thought I would be.

The negatives so far are that they are going to take awhile to adjust to for running on concrete and blacktop. Grass was fine, which I can probably attribute to my years of barefoot ultimate, but hard surfaces kill the balls of my feet and I can't accelerate or decelerate on it quickly yet due to weaker ankle muscle I assume. The balls of my feet are very sore, it's going to take a bit to get used to landing on them, even lightly. He only other soreness I have is in my Achilles, but not much and I think that will strengthen quickly enough to go away fast.

500 / 330 / 625

just got mine on saturday!!!!!!! (for those in the uk theres a shop in sheffield called 'Accelerate UK' where you can get em... though if want size 42 KSO's you're shit outta luck :P i got the last pair!) and yh they do leak rather easy and if i stood around too long my footsies got cold and it does take a fair bit of walking before my feet start to hurt which is pretty good. love the fact that they pretty much force you onto the balls of your feet buzzin for the C25K style thing i'm starting soon (and could probably all ready run 5k but i'm using it to build up my feet with the vibrams)

Can I ask how they fit?

I would kill for a pair, but there is no store anywhere near me that sells them, so I am gonna resign myself to buying them online and returning them if they don't fit. Which sucks, because I'd love to try on the different types and see what I like best.

Any advice?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

well for my the don't fit too bad (got some wangy toes on my left foot which a tiny bit of a problem (i've got long toes anyway) but not too bad, and a thinish heel) the ones i got seem to fit a wider foot (maybe could do with size 41 if it existed maybe) they seem to fit the size it says (should be a given but isn't always) but apart from that i can't tell u much i'm sorry and i had to travel an hour to find a shop that sold them, though luckily i was heading that way which is why i got them when i did

i got a pair of komodosport vibrams saturday...got 43s, or 44s...crap, i forget...anyhow, not sure about the fitting...might have to return for the size lower

right foot is bigger than left foot...so, by the time i got a size to fit my right foot the left felt like it was in a size too big

i took the bigger size to seen how they felt...thinking i'm gonna go back and exchange for the smaller size

my right big toe feels barely tight in the size-just-too-small but ok in the size-just-too-big...the other 9 toes seem to fit more comfortably in the size-just-too-small

anybody else have any strange fitting issues, etc? do these stretch out like regular shoes?

oh, and something else i wanted to mention/discuss/ask

i'm a heel walker in my current shoes...i noticed a few times when i landed heel-heavy in the komodos yesterday

does anybody have any good links on wear/walking/running/jogging with these? i know i read something, here or MDA, about people re-learning to walk/run properly after they started wearing these/going barefoot

thanks,

Can I ask how they fit?

I would kill for a pair, but there is no store anywhere near me that sells them, so I am gonna resign myself to buying them online and returning them if they don't fit. Which sucks, because I'd love to try on the different types and see what I like best.

Any advice?

When i was trying them on in the store, I had to decide between a pair that fit me with the toe socks you can buy but were too loose without and a pair that fit me without the socks but were to tight with them. That's how little the size varies from size to size, so you may take a few cycles to do it your way.

does anybody have any good links on wear/walking/running/jogging with these? i know i read something, here or MDA, about people re-learning to walk/run properly after they started wearing these/going barefoot

I know someone who tried Chi-running, and it worked for her. Chi-running is based off someone else's work with a bunch of spiritual crap mixed in. If I could remember what that other work was, I'd recommend that.

500 / 330 / 625