Forums are back in action! ×

Craft Selling Ideas?

I figure off topic is the best place to put things, hmmm?

Well, I'm apparently pretty unhirable. I had one job for a month, and then had to leave (doctor recommended; apparently being outside in the heat all day long isn't the best thing when you aren't allowed breaks...).

So, while I'm looking for a new job (aiming for a crafts store, games store, or book store, but it took me over a year to find my FIRST job...) I was wondering what sort of things I could do to make money.

I can do/make/etc:

Knit

Sew/Hem

Make Perler Art

Bead

Sing

Cook

Make Soap

General hair/skin care items

Dog Treats

Little Rinky Dink Crafts

Candles

But I'm not sure how to go about doing it, selling the things, you know.

I'm thinking of joining Etsy, but I also want to be able to reach people other ways as well, especially those in my area. But I'm just not sure how to do that either!

Plus, all the things to be done. Making a logo? Brand name? I am not creative in the slightest. I likely don't even know what all is involved!

I tried looking up a guide for such things, but end up even more confused...

I'm also considering starting a YouTube channel. I mean, hey, that would be great for advertisement.

What are y'all's opinions? Ideas?

Criticisms?

I think the first problem there is your belief that "I'm not creative in the slightest." Someone who succeeds at making crafting a business has a passion - they can churn out new products and new ideas quickly and keep stock on the shelves, as well as having a product that stands out, either through originality or quality, in a crowded market. It's like becoming a writer. You can't muse "Hm, I can't think of any stories, but I'm totally gonna nail this writing thing."

So, let's say you do have a genuine desire to make this work. Home-crafting is saturated. Etsy is full of pretty terrible knitted things and wonky drawings, and those who make a good product and whose shops are successful will tell you that they are barely compensated for the hours put into an item. Knitters, especially, I believe, shell out a lot for wool and then put in the hours and don't make very much profit on the items at all. For many it's a labour of love rather than a primary source of income.

Your local area might have craft fairs which you can look into. The cost of the stall and the insurance could eat into profits. Like I say: labour of love.

Your efforts might be better focused on the job search itself. While it would be lovely to work in a book store or games store, these shops are highly sought after by all the other fans, and just about every student in the writing/publishing/media areas wants the job in the bookstore as a stepping stone. You may need to consider less 'dream' roles like retail or customer service. Any of those looks good on a CV and gives good experience - cash handling, customer service, the basics like turning up on time. Personally I think coffee shops have been totally recession proof and baristas are going to take over the world.

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I think Tanuki's advice is pretty good. (Also: of course baristas will take over the world! Anyone who can handle grumpy coffee addicts before their first fix will. :lol:

A whole different aspect I thought you should consider... depending on where you live, there is a whole lot you have to consider about taxes and laws you need to comply to. A friend wanted to do something similar and I had a look into it for her - she asked me because I am doing freelance work and while there are similarities, this was quite a bit different. (E.g. I believe if you were trying to sell products you sew yourself here and the fabric has an easily recognisable pattern, to be on the save side you'd have to get the manufacturer to allow you to use their fabrics for your products.) But this all really depends on your home country. Just saying it might be a lot more work than it initially seems - even apart from all the aspects Tanuki has mentioned already.

And then it might not even pay off. There is so much competition and then there people selling at those extremely low prices....Makes you wonder if they actually have any idea how to calculate them. I mean there is more than just materials you have to cover. 

Good luck if you try it though! :tiger: I'm sure if you manage the initial problems, it has the potential to be a rather fulfilling job. 

Hello fellow crafter!  I am a crocheter, and though I personally don't sell what I make, I used to belong to a local stitch-n-bitch group I found via meetup.com...  One of the perks was that the group pooled money to rent tables at farmers' markets and craft fairs, and everyone submitted a few things to sell.  It was a great way for people to make a small number of items but still earn an income from them, and was indicative of what kind of stuff sold quickly.  If you're looking to sell without the online element, that might be a good option for you!

Plus... come on, stitch-n-bitch circles are good fun!  We met at bars.  I was so sad when I moved away. :(

ETA:  If you're serious about jobs in craft-stores gaming stores etc, a good way might be to drop by, hang out and/or take classes.  Getting to know the staff goes a long way in a niche field that a lot of people would love to work in.  I worked at a bookstore through college and got the job from a friend/passed it on to a friend when I left -- a lot of employers value that kind of reference over a random applicant.

:: wanderbound ::

Level 2 Gryffindor half-elf assassin & rider in The Wild Hunt

STR: 4 |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 2  |  CON: 0  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 1 

..... current (2nd) challenge! ..... epic quest! .....

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist