Forums are back in action! ×

Interval Training/New Rules of Lifting for Women Question

I know quite a few people around here have done or are currently doing NROLFW so I thought you all might be able to help me out.

What do you do for your interval training? I have zero access to any sort of cardio machine and everything I've found so far refers to using an elliptical or treadmill. At this point I was just planning on doing 2 Tabata intervals or some sort of yet to be determined HIIT.

Any advice?

Thanks!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

I did NROL (minus the FW :P). I seem to recall sprinting at the track, but it was summery then I was in that phase.

Tabatas could likely work as a swap. Or you could walk during the lower intensity periods and do squats or pushups or burpees for the surge.

Good luck!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I agree with sprinting. You don't need a machine for that. Also, the squats, burpees, pushups, etc. Mountain climbers, box jumps, jump rope drills, jump squats, thrusters-any of these done in tabata format will definitely count as HIIT.

You can also check www.bodyrock.tv for some workouts. They have plenty of interval workouts (just look for them to say that or note the timing is 20:10) mixed in with their other stuff.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Guest Carjack

One hand deadlift (preferably barbell) 30 singles with each hand, little or no rest.

One hand snatch with dumbbell or barbell.

One or two hand swing with dumbbell.

One or two hand clean & press from the floor with dumbbells.

One hand clean & press in between sets of squats.

Two dumbbell farmer's carry.

Barbell overhead press and walk with it locked out overhead.

Barbell complexes (curls, French press, overhead press, row, bench press, behind the neck press, all done with the same weight for high reps with little or no rest)

Dumbbell complexes.

Squat jumps an inch off the floor with a bar high on your back.

Spend ten minutes on any of these and let us know how it goes.

I know quite a few people around here have done or are currently doing NROLFW so I thought you all might be able to help me out.

What do you do for your interval training? I have zero access to any sort of cardio machine and everything I've found so far refers to using an elliptical or treadmill. At this point I was just planning on doing 2 Tabata intervals or some sort of yet to be determined HIIT.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I usually did HIIT on the stationary bike (because I had one) when I was doing NRoLfW. Occasionally I did them tabata style, which was an awesome way to die when I was short on time.

However, I got a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Abs when I was coming to the end of the NRoLfW to see if I wanted to do that next (I got distracted by StrongLifts) and am keeping a bunch of things from it even though I'm not doing the actual workouts. They have several different metabolic training exercises which take the place of the HIIT on the bike and so far I prefer all of them. They have them to put at the end of your weight training; I like to do them on my non-lifting days.

1. 6-10 burpees a minute. Start with 10 minutes, add a minute each week. (The idea is to spend 20-30 seconds doing burpees and then resting for the remaining 40-30 seconds.)

2. 10-12 kettlebell swings a minute. Start with 10 minutes, add a minute each week. (Ditto on the ratio of swings to resting.)

3. Alternate sets of burpees and kettlebell swings. Start with 10 and ladder down. (So 10 burpees and 10 kettlebell swings followed by 9 burpees and 9 kettlebell swings and so on down to 1+1. Add a rep every time you do this)

4. Alternate sets of squats (at bodyweight) and pushups. Ladder up and down. The first time you try it do 3 squats and 3 pushups, then 6+6, 9+9, 6+6, 3+3. The next time you do this go up to 12+12. Then 15+15. Etc. See how long you can keep this up.

In NRoLfA they put #1 at the end of A workouts and #2 at the beginning of B workouts on one stage, and then #3 at the beginning of A workouts and #4 at the beginning of B workouts in another stage. But you can mix them up however you like.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhc7eLpQY

Jump rope works well

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZu1teFcqOM

You should see me jump rope. I have zero coordination. The only thing funnier than me jumping rope is me trying to do Zumba or maybe punching myself in the face when I tried kickboxing.

I might have to stick to Burpees and tears...

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

ironic because i'm fairly coordinated but i can't seem to get the hang of the jumping out with both feet at the same time in burpees. also, what is tabata?

Tabatas are a type of interval training. Basically you do something for very high intensity for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. You repeat this eight times, so the whole thing takes 4 minutes. You can do this with pretty much anything -- bike, squats, pushups, sprinting, whatever, as long as you're going pretty much full out for the high intensity bit. It's a very long four minutes. :)

Love bodyrock tabatas...miss Zuzka as the regular leader but sean is durn good as is the other two girls they added. I usually do a 50/10 split of 12 segments and we do classic moves like jumping jacks, squat jumps, mountain climbers and disco dance moves to make it fun!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

also, what is tabata?

Tabata and his research team published a paper where they found out that stimulating the anaerobic pathways improved both anaerobic and aerobic conditioning, while aerobic (cardio) does not improve anaerobic capacity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897392

In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.

I miss Zuz, too. I love her! But I'm enjoying the others.

Speaking of tabata...did tabata thrusters tonight. Let's go ahead and add that to your list..oy!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!