Forums are back in action! ×

No equipment, bodyweight-only exercises.

Hey there Rebels. I was wondering if you more experienced people would be willing to share a bit of your wisdom here. I've been wanting to lose weight, well, lose fat, if I gain weight, I can assume it's muscle, and I want that XD. But I don't have any equipment Except for a assault pack full of books that weighs about 25-35 lbs. So would you guys mind telling me some good exercises?

Here is my current "work out regimen"

• Without the back pack
  • Curl ups- Started at 5; now i can do 25.
  • Bicycle kicks- Started at 60 rotations; now I can do 180 rotations
  • scissor kicks- I can do about fifty
  • Push ups- Im pathetic, I can barely do three without my arms shaking and quivering
  • leg lifts- 25
  • jumping jacks- 200
  • Planks 1 minute. then I hit the floor gasping for air and lay there for while trying to recuperate
With the back pack
  • Bicep curls-50, I'm stopping these, I read on a forum here that these are bad for you because they don't train your muscles the right way.
  • tricep curls- 50 same as the bicep curls.
  • I dont know what to call these I just lay down and lift it like a bench press-100

I can't buy anything because I dont have a job, and it is hard to get one here in Puerto Rico. So I need some help. My work out area is my room. have a large empty space right in the middle, I have not bars for pullups or dips or anyting to make a make shift one. (The one thing I thought I did have nearly killed me, let's just leave it at that.)

Thanks you for those who help.

You could use your assault pack as a sandbag - there are lots of good workouts here. I have to confess, I haven't actually done any sandbag exercises - my winterbreak goal is to make one and start using it.

Keep doing sets of 3 pushups until you can sets of 4. Maybe you could swap out some of the jumping jacks (200? Wow!) for burpees. There is no reason to stop doing curls, but you might want to try doing push-presses, basically a curl immediately followed by a shoulder press. If you can do 100 reps of the floor press, you should see if you can stuff some more books in there or try filling it with baggies of sand. Is there a playground nearby where you can pull ups? You should definitely start doing squats, with or without the pack.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

List of Ideas

Body weight Squats

Goblet squats with your pack

Pistol squats once you get strong enough.

Lunges with or without your pack

Dips with a chair.

Inverted bodyweight rows with a table

Dumbbell rows with your pack

Overhead press with your pack

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Try an Elbow Press. Basically, lay flat on your back as if you were resting. Bend your elbows to a 90 degree angle, and press them as hard as you can into the floor, trying to get only your elbows and feet to be touching the ground. Even though it's a Press, it works the lats. For Biceps, clasp your hands together, and resisting with the triceps of your other arm, curl for the desired amount of repetitions.

For Push-Ups, try Ladders. If you can only do 3, do something like this: 1-2 (3X). Basically, do 1, rest for 15 seconds, then 2, and rest for 30 seconds. That's one Ladder. Repeat for however many Ladders you want to do. Start with 3, then the next day, or day after, do 4, etc.... Once you can do 5-6 Ladders, add a Repetition. So, then you'll do: 1-3 (3X)

For your Core, you really only need Planks and Leg Lifts. You can use Ladders for these too. So something like this for Planks: 15 Sec-30 Sec-45 Sec (3X) Leg Lifts: 5-10-15 (3X) You can also wear the backpack on your back for Planks and hold it with your ankles for Leg Lifts.

For Conditioning, Burpees are great, but Jumping Jacks can be good too. Since you can do 200, do 25, rest 10 seconds, and repeat. Try to keep track of how many rounds you did and do better next time.

Start doing Squats. Once you can do a reasonable amount, start working on Pistols. Look up some ankle stretches in the meantime.

Check out the angry birds workout on the resources tab on the main site. It starts at very beginner exercises and works up and works the full body.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with continuing to do curls and the like. if you had the option of a full range of gym equipment, sure, there would be better choices. If you're limited in your gear, though, the more stuff you do with it the better. Curl away, my friend.

And welcome!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell