Forums are back in action! ×

I only want to lose weight. Why is everyone trying to make me feel so bad about it?

Warning: For most people, this might be a "too long, didn't read" post, but if you just read the bold, you'll get the point.

Hello. My name is Bro, and I'm about 5'6" and currently 136 pounds. It's really hard to believe that just one year ago, I was 124, but I eventually just lost control of my eating and gained a lot of weight.

Anyway, my main question is this: If I begin a Paelo Diet, will I be able to lose weight while on a running program alone? I can already run for 35 minutes, or 2.5 miles daily, and that's easily improvable. Running is something I'm good at, but I do NOT plan on lifting weights or other exercises that are not cardio? Why?

I do not want to build any additional muscle in any other area besides my abs. Yes, I am relatively small already in terms of muscle (not fat), but I love it.

I like my skinny clothes and form-fitting shirts, and gaining even a small amount of muscle (or even any more additional fat) will make most of my stuff not fit anymore and I'm not dealing with that. I just don't see the aesthetic appeal in having significant or noticeable muscle mass.

And how, here's when I start getting angry replies on any other forum. People always reply to my threads acting like something is wrong with me, or trying to make me feel ashamed of myself for just wanting to lose weight. I'm done feeling like I'm trying to do something wrong here, so I'm not going to take it anymore. If you have anything negative to say about me, please don't say anything at all.

*shrugs* My BF is around your stats and slim build. If you want to lose that much fat off your frame, you will probably want to replace it with a bit of muscle as muscle is considerably more dense than fat (ie, you could probably lose 10 lbs of fat, replace with 10 lbs of muscle, and still be too small for your current wardrobe), but ultimately your goals are your goals. I think most people are surprised a guy doesn't want to get BIG AND RIPPED LIKE BULL, that's all. It depends on how you're eating now whether paleo is the right course for you. Paleo and running don't tend too agree with one another too much, but if you want to add in some primal friendly carbs like rice or potato if you're finding yourself 'running on empty' then it will probably work for you. Keep us up to date on stuff! (and keep the ladies up to date on your abs?)

Oops, I completely forgot to mention my current habits! Here's a day in the life of Bro:

1 1/4 Cup Frosted Flakes + 2/3 Cup 2% Reduced Fat Milk

Deli Ham & Deli Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread

Peperoni Hot Pocket

Cookies

Basically those four things, I tend to just eat and repeat throughout the whole day. I'm surprised I'm still alive to be honest. I get other nutrients when I'm out at restaurants and other places where my regular food isn't available.

Oops, I completely forgot to mention my current habits! Here's a day in the life of Bro:

1 1/4 Cup Frosted Flakes + 2/3 Cup 2% Reduced Fat Milk

Deli Ham & Deli Cheese on Whole Wheat Bread

Peperoni Hot Pocket

Cookies

Basically those four things, I tend to just eat and repeat throughout the whole day. I'm surprised I'm still alive to be honest. I get other nutrients when I'm out at restaurants and other places where my regular food isn't available.

I f'ing love it! It's about to go apesh!t up in here!

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I replaced the comment I made and a few posts down posted this apology:

js290, I think that I got carried away and maybe took things a little far. I think that in the past, you really were in the discussion to contribute something that you believed in to help me out. I appreciate what you have done, and that you have opened yourself up to us and I apologize for my comments. I hope this doesn't keep you from sharing who you really are with us going forward.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Hahahaha, oh man. I hope they somehow involve science and my body in a confusing and not really relevant context but I'm not sure if anything like that exists. Anyone help some bros out?

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

@Bro: If that's your current diet you may not be able to avoid putting on some muscle going paleo. Be prepared for some serious withdrawl from the sugar/carb/processed foods. If you can do it though, I think you'll be pleased with changes in yourself, both physically and energy/psychologically

@Bro: If that's your current diet you may not be able to avoid putting on some muscle going paleo. Be prepared for some serious withdrawl from the sugar/carb/processed foods. If you can do it though' date=' I think you'll be pleased with changes in yourself, both physically and energy/psychologically[/quote']

I'm kinda confused. What do you mean about not being able to avoid putting on muscle? Are you basically saying because I eat food so low in protein that by introducing protein I'll inevitably gain muscle?

@bro I don't know your current protein levels, but yeah, if that's your diet it's likely you're operating in a protein deficit and once you're getting the proper amount (1g/lb lean body mass) you may start to put on some muscle. I'm not saying don't eat paleo (I would advocate a protein + nutrient dense diet regardless of anything else, for your health) but it may be a side effect.

I'm kinda confused. What do you mean about not being able to avoid putting on muscle? Are you basically saying because I eat food so low in protein that by introducing protein I'll inevitably gain muscle?

Well, no. Since you don't want to add strength training and are taking the mainly cardio only approach what will happen is you will lose both fat and muscle mass. Strength training helps to keep the reduction of muscle mass in the single digit percentage range while a cardio based regiment will see the muscle reduced in the 20% range of your over all weight loss. Can't build muscle when losing weight since you'll lose both muscle mass and fat.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

js290, I think that I got carried away and maybe took things a little far. I think that in the past, you really were in the discussion to contribute something that you believed in to help me out. I appreciate what you have done, and that you have opened yourself up to us and I apologize for my comments. I hope this doesn't keep you from sharing who you really are with us going forward.

Be prepared for some serious withdrawl from the sugar/carb/processed foods.

I've tried cutting them in the past, and I know how hard it was for me then. Is there anything I can really do to try to make the withdrawl a little less devastating? I used to have a hardcore sugar addiction where I would eat a box of poptarts and drink cups and cups of chocolate milk as a midnight snack. I don't quite do that anymore with sugar, but I'm definitely too comfortable with my carbs in general.

Cut down over the course of two weeks, drink TONS of water, and go cold turkey after 2 weeks. Use ibuprofin liberally. The first time I stopped completely I had headaches for about 2 weeks. Be sure that the second and third day after you go cold turkey you don't have much that you have to do, as you may not feel able to do any of it.

Replace sugar and carb rich foods you love with fat rich foods you love (as in, say, non-breaded hot wings 3-4 times a week). It makes it easier.

As for your size, my buddy at work is the same way and I wouldn't worry about it. Build your body to be what you want it to be and screw everyone else.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Replacing the sugar, which is definitely causing you major insulin swings and making your crave more sugar is especially critical in the morning which will set you up for the day. Have a high fat, low carb breakfast-bacon and eggs with sour cream and then replace your carbs slowly with healthier choices-aka no sugar--little fruit and finally remove all gluten and polyunsaturated fats from your diet.

Running can be an autophagic activity which means you will lose body mass as you run. Most people do not want to lose muscle because muscle is more metabolically active and helps you to maintain your weight even when at rest. I also think, even at 5'6" that a ten pound weight gain is out of control. It should be about how your body looks and not how much it weighs on a scale, but that is basically your choice. I would certainly opt for long term health and wellness over a number on the scale, but thats my personal choice as well.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Anyway, my main question is this: If I begin a Paelo Diet, will I be able to lose weight while on a running program alone?

If you want to purely lose weight, and nothing else, eat less calories than you use.

If you want to get healthier while doing so, a paleo diet would help (and that's not me being biased to the paleo diet, that's me comparing meat and veggies to hot pockets and cookies)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I also think, even at 5'6" that a ten pound weight gain is out of control. It should be about how your body looks and not how much it weighs on a scale, but that is basically your choice.

I'm not really sure what you mean here, but I was surprised to see that I had gained 10 pounds and can't understand how it happened so fast when it didn't seem like I changed a whole lot about my diet or exercise. It happened over a few months, too. For years I had maintained around 124-127, and then BAM 140. I lost four pounds off that, but I still think it's way too much to have gained.

Are you sure you have the genetics to pack on a lot of muscle?

Let me put it this way: I have HUGE thighs and big calves. Even during the years I wasn't running, they were still really hard and muscular, and honestly it's always kinda bothered me. I always wished there was a way to reduce that, and it's confusing to me. Most runners I know have very thin legs, yet somehow mine are huge. I am worried that this might be a genetic thing because they have never gone away.