Forums are back in action! ×

First off, the disclaimer:

I am not a doctor.

I cannot make a diagnosis, I cannot tell you what that weird rash is and I cannot tell you to take or give you medication.  Anything I say or do is for fun and information because remember, I'm just a dude on the internet.

HOWEVER

I am a medic in the Army.  I've been one for the last 5 years and while my civilian credentials show me as the very lowest of EMTs, I have learned far above my certification.  I've worked directly for doctors, physician assistants, physical therapists and nutritionists.  I'm like sponge.

Let me wring myself out on you.  Gross.

So, if you have questions about stretching, you can ask!  If you have a little ache or pain, leave me something here!  If you are bleeding, go to the damn ER!

I'll show you what I mean:

I have piriformis syndrome. 

Piriformis-syndrome-web-large800x600.jpg

The piriformis is a muscle that connects from your sacrum to the head of the femur.  Because it is a deep muscle, (deeper than the gluteal muscles), it can impinge (or tighten down on) the sciatic nerve.  This can cause pain, numbness, tingling, and general discomfort.  It super terrible and it can be hard to stretch.  These are the three that I use most often:

Supine (laying on the back)-

proper-pillow-piriformis-stretch-1.png

Prone (on your front)-

DSC01059.jpg

and sitting (on your ass, like I am right now)-

Piriformis-stretch-seated.jpg

If you do these stretches on a regular basis, as in everyday, 3 times a day you will see improvement in your flexibilty and range of motion.  I would recommend ice as well, to bring down inflammation.  Never ice directly to the skin, and only for 15 mintues a time with 30 minutes rest.  Another fun one is using a lacrosse ball.  Apply direct pressure as hard as you can wiht your bodyweight (it's going to hurt) to the affected area with the lacrosse ball.  It helps break up the myofacial trigger points.

68 Whiskeys for you all!

• Like 3

In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas.

Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify.

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

You either do it or you die.

Battle Log

Just did these this morning after my (first in a long time) 2 mile run. Personally, I prefer the first example: one, because it always feels good to lie down after a workout; and two, it feels like that version gives more control over the stretch (aka, "I can't accidentally slip and tear any/every-thing.")

Nice to see another soldier on the forums. My husband was a 68W as well, but he was so fed up with all the bullshit by the time he got out that the only response anyone will get out of him regarding physical health is, "Ibuprofen". :P

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Just did these this morning after my (first in a long time) 2 mile run. Personally, I prefer the first example: one, because it always feels good to lie down after a workout; and two, it feels like that version gives more control over the stretch (aka, "I can't accidentally slip and tear any/every-thing.")

Nice to see another soldier on the forums. My husband was a 68W as well, but he was so fed up with all the bullshit by the time he got out that the only response anyone will get out of him regarding physical health is, "Ibuprofen". :tongue:

800mg of Motrin and drink water.

• Like 3

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

Battle Log

But they're my LUCKY socks!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

But the question was, does dirty underwear lead to athletes foot?

Dustoff 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Human Rebel

-----------------------------------------------------------

Main Quest: Below 20% Body Fat  | Starting: 34% | Goal: 20% | Current: 32.5% |

14.3%
14.3%

Main Quest 2: Lose 50 lbs  | Starting Weight: 250 lbs. | Goal Weight: 200 lbs. | Current Weight: 246.5 lbs |

7%
7%

Fact: Dirty socks lead to crotch rot.

Ummm... But I only keep my socks where they belong?

Ditto for skivies, dustoff.

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

Ummm... But I only keep my socks where they belong?

Ditto for skivies, dustoff.

I know it's hard to believe, but soldiers are inventive and can come up with any sort of way to screw themselves up.

• Like 2

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

Battle Log

I have problems with the poriformas and glutes repeatedly going into spasm and often use a lacrosse ball to release it, I can vouch for the "it's going to hurt" bit, lol!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

s on a regular basis, as in everyday, 3 times a day you will see improvement in your flexibilty and range of motion.  I

How long should I hold them?

And should it be like in "do stretch" relax, do again or just once?

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. Three weeks ago I smashed my shin against the edge of a brick wall. It did cut my shin and while it wasn't long it was deep and should have had stitches, which I didn't realize until three days afterwards. The cut itself is healing relatively well, but my concern is a small lump I have next to the cut and the entire are is a large bump about the two inches by three inches. It doesn't hurt in the slightest. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of the small lump and the big bump.

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

It could be a number of things, but my guess would be some serous fluid that has built up. An infection is unlikely but possible.  Be sure to look out for reddening of the surrounding tissue and if it feels hot to the touch.  You can use a warm compress to help with the bump, so soak a towel and throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  If it lasts for a while, it might be scar tissue and you'd have to see your doctor about what the deal is.

• Like 1

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

Battle Log