Forums are back in action! ×

Cold showers

After reading about the benefits of cold showers in another thread, I decided to start taking them. I started with the water luke warm, then after I soaked myself, I turned it all the way to cold. After washing from head down, my body had pretty easily acclimated to the temperature and I found myself standing in the water for several minutes, soaking, like I do with warm water. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 3

Ugh. This board is turning my mornings in to a nightmare :/ I'll start doing this once a week. On a monday :P 

• Like 1

Recovering from an epic clash with gravity, which I lost.

Nobody gets out of life, alive || Senpai noticed me! || Company of unemployed superheroes

Trying to get back on the forums and back in exercising in life any help motivation is welcome

I do the dollar shave club.  I wake up much too early to mess around with a safety razor and have my morning routine down to a science before I leave the house.  Maybe life after the military...

But I do use a brush, oil, cream and after lotion.  I went to the Art of Shaving store at the mall.  Totally changed my perspective.  And my bank account.

• Like 2

In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas.

Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify.

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

You either do it or you die.

Battle Log

I do the dollar shave club.  I wake up much too early to mess around with a safety razor and have my morning routine down to a science before I leave the house.  Maybe life after the military...

But I do use a brush, oil, cream and after lotion.  I went to the Art of Shaving store at the mall.  Totally changed my perspective.  And my bank account.

Gah.  Get a decent double edge.  Better shaves, cheaper than anything else, less waste, and just as fast as any of the overly-processed crap (Gillette 8 - The Ocho!) you can find, once you get used to it.  From another military guy, the double edge is the way to go.

• Like 3

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I hear you. I just got a badger hair brush from there (probably not the same mall though). The first time I dipped it in hot water I thought, "Hmm... I guess badgers smell bad wet."

Gah.  Get a decent double edge.  Better shaves, cheaper than anything else, less waste, and just as fast as any of the overly-processed crap (Gillette 8 - The Ocho!) you can find, once you get used to it.  From another military guy, the double edge is the way to go.

Seconded.  That's what I use. I've discovered I can use one side on the down stroke and the other side on the up stroke. It is a great shave and they practically pay you to take the blades home with you (at least that's how it feels after switching over from said Ocho.)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I shave in the shower too.  I do that last.  I tried it w/ cold shower and it really didn't work good.   Yesterday I tried shaving first then everything else after.  Out of my usual order but it seemed to work.  I'll give it a shot for a couple weeks and see how it goes. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

No cold showers for me, kthx.  I loathe cold water.  But I do believe giving my hair a cool rinse at the end of a shower helps it stay shiny.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I hear you. I just got a badger hair brush from there (probably not the same mall though). The first time I dipped it in hot water I thought, "Hmm... I guess badgers smell bad wet."

Seconded.  That's what I use. I've discovered I can use one side on the down stroke and the other side on the up stroke. It is a great shave and they practically pay you to take the blades home with you (at least that's how it feels after switching over from said Ocho.)

Thirded!

I took the plunge a year ago and got and Edwin Jagger DE razor, some shave soaps and a Boar bristle brush. (Also a 100 pack of razor blades for $10, for which I have only used 10-15 in a year period)

Now, I shave probably just as fast as I did with the disposables, with less irritation. Plus it makes me feel Dapper...

Bonus: Sentimental value to the razor. It's nice knowing I can teach my son with this razor and pass it down to him, because I know it will last forever..

• Like 2

Fatherx4/Husband/Doctor/Superhero

6'2/205lbs/15% BF

Squat 330 / Deadlift 430 / Bench 275 / OH press 175

Heroes are made by the paths they chose, not by the powers they are graced with"

One thing I would recommend for guys using a brush, make sure to get a stand so you can store it with the bristles facing down, otherwise the water will drip down to the glue holding the bristles together and to the handle and the thing will eventually fall apart. Fortunately this happened with the cheap boar hair brush that came with the $20 dollar kit from the grocery store, so it didn't hurt to buy a new one. It also gave me an excuse to shell out for a badger hair brush.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I've started doing this. I have to ease into it though.

I actually started doing it because I take such hot showers I'm sweating when I get out of the shower and it's impossible to get dry, then I read about the health benefits so I kept doing it.

The first time I tried it I tried easing into cold but underestimated how a little movement on the hot side had a HUGE effect on temperature and it got ice cold FAST. I started struggling to take full breaths and hyperventilating : / Not sure if that's normal.....

Now I ease into it and it feels great after getting out of the shower.

Level 1 Beast. No other modes necessary

I've never done it for any benefits (I've never looked it up and thus haven't really heard of any) but I am partial to the occasional cold shower. I'm just quite fond of them. I mean, of course, not icy cold water but less than warm. They're very refreshing and seem to be better for my hair and skin. :)

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

I've never done it for any benefits (I've never looked it up and thus haven't really heard of any) but I am partial to the occasional cold shower. I'm just quite fond of them. I mean, of course, not icy cold water but less than warm. They're very refreshing and seem to be better for my hair and skin. :)

I have heard that long, hot showers in the winter can contribute to dry skin.

Current Challenge

I have heard that long, hot showers in the winter can contribute to dry skin.

Ah, really? That might be why cold showers tend to help keep my skin soft. :)

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

I exclusively take cold showers now.  I had read the Art of Manliness article about a year ago and still wasn't 100% convinced, but especially now that it's summer and I've started to see and feel the positive results, I'm hooked.

The cold of winter might change my tune though.  I can imagine the appeal of a steamy hot shower after being outside in sub-zero temperatures.

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I saw this tip in a teen magazine ages ago, and I still do it on occasion. I turn off the hot water at the end of my shower and I never last long with the cold water... it does actually feel great on my face, though.

I read that in a magazine too! I do that when I do have hot showers too, especially when I wash my hair - its supposed to "close the hair cuticles" and thus make it frizz less when it dries? I don't know. All I know is that even now, for no real reason, I still do exactly that - its just a habit. I never last long either, ha! Its very refreshing though. :)

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender