Forums are back in action! ×

Help taking the Next step, ideas for workout

I'm not the most active person per-say but I do walk about a mile a day >_>

At the start of this year I was around ~410lbs due to laziness, injury, and other life funsies.

I've since been able to correct my diet and continue my somewhat active lifestyle and I've dropped my weight down to ~350lb

So now I would like to add a little more exercise to my lifestyle and being a fan of nerdfitness have come to ask for assistance. 

I'm somewhat able to do at least 1 circuit of the Beginner Body Weight Workout with a few minor problems like having to do elevated push-ups and needing a column for balance during a squat.

Any ideas how would I take this?

20 body weight squats
10 push ups
20 walking lunges
10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug)
15 second plank
30 Jumping Jacks

And tune it to something I can handle a little bit better.that will build more myofibrillar hypertrophy aka strength so I can in turn do more? :D

Also before someone freaks over my diet + slightly crazy amount of weight lost
I've already consulted a doctor about it and they have checked that I'm healthy and not killing myself :tongue:

Well done loosing 50 lbs.  What is your specific goal for target weight?  Keep up the beginner body-weight workout.  Keep using the modifications you have in place till you no longer need them, that's exactly what you are supposed to be doing.  You have a great start already, imagine what you will be able to do with the support of the community.

You rock.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

What about it can you not handle? You mentioned two alternatives for push ups and squats that seem to be appropriate and functional modifications for 2 of the exercises.

Can you handle lunges? Those and dumbbell rows might be doable- 

If you can't do jumping jacks, how about step outs? Step your right leg out and lean into it, step back to starting position and then step out with the left leg and repeat while doing the arm motion. 

If your arms are having trouble with planks, how about hollow men for core? You may have to reduce the time to start but you can build your way up. 

Also, just walking will help a lot and get the joints used to the body moving around at first- start increasing distance or timing yourself and trying to beat your previous time to slowly increase endurance and intensity. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Well done loosing 50 lbs.  What is your specific goal for target weight?  Keep up the beginner body-weight workout.  Keep using the modifications you have in place till you no longer need them, that's exactly what you are supposed to be doing.  You have a great start already, imagine what you will be able to do with the support of the community.

You rock.

Target weight? Goal? Bah I don't think about those things. The goal is when ever I'm happy with the results :D

But for arguments sake lets go for broke, around 200 same time next year.

What about it can you not handle? You mentioned two alternatives for push ups and squats that seem to be appropriate and functional modifications for 2 of the exercises.

Can you handle lunges? Those and dumbbell rows might be doable- 

If you can't do jumping jacks, how about step outs? Step your right leg out and lean into it, step back to starting position and then step out with the left leg and repeat while doing the arm motion. 

If your arms are having trouble with planks, how about hollow men for core? You may have to reduce the time to start but you can build your way up. 

Also, just walking will help a lot and get the joints used to the body moving around at first- start increasing distance or timing yourself and trying to beat your previous time to slowly increase endurance and intensity. 

It's not so much that I cannot handle everything, it is just all I can handle to do 1 circuit.

Just wondering if it would be better to lower the reps and try to do more circuits or increase the difficulty as I go and stick with just one circuit for now.

Need to work on stretches and such because I'm barely able to do a lunge, I swear legs don't bend like.

Dumbbell rows are fine however I need to increase the weight as 10lbs is a little on the light side, bonus to being fat, free strength as long as you can move ^_^

However that hollow men looks like it might work better instead of a plank due to the strain it puts on my toes/feet  

Hi canuckgamer! Nice to see, what I assume, is another Canadian on board.

I've only ever been able to manage 2 circuits of the beginner bodyweight workout (and I still do elevated push ups since I have damaged rotater cuffs). Actually my current challenge is to increase into doing the 3 circuits. I've personally set the goal into adding one more exercise from the next circuit each week. So this is the second week and I'm doing BBWWx2 plus the squats and the push ups. You can always do a slow build, one circuit plus however many of the squats you can manage from the second circuit. Once you can manage all 20, start adding the push ups, etc. Or try your best to do as many unmodified as you can in the one circuit then finish the rest modified. Not sure which would be better. But the fact that you're doing it is great! 

Level 2 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 4| WIS 3 | CHA 3

First Challenge

Current Challenge

Hi canuckgamer! Nice to see, what I assume, is another Canadian on board.

Partly Canadian,

Also good luck on your goal, I was thinking about trying something like that myself. Maybe I'll make that a July goal, add one more set.

I just switched over to doing a high plank, arms fully extended, to see if that is any better then doing a low one. Works my arms more that's for sure.

• Like 1