Forums are back in action! ×

Getting out of the house

Hey, NF community!

So, I've been floating around reading on the NF website for a while, now, but I never quite had a reason to join the forums until this summer break. After a session of summer classes and a two week trip to Europe, I'm stuck in my house away from most of the people that could help me get off my rear and do something, and I honestly just need people to keep me accountable and help me figure out where to start.

Some biography:

I'm 20 years old, 5'11", and 170 pounds. I'm a pianist, a filmmaker, and I love working with people. I hope to move to California, one day, and break into the film business, but for the time being I'd settle for being happy with myself. Anxiety and depression have been a big battle for me in the past, and I would like to use my fitness goals as an outlet/hobby to keep my mind off of some of these things. I was extremely self-conscious of my weight in middle/high school, and it caused a lot of posture problems in my upper back (I have an abnormal curve). Now that I'm in college, I have more time to do things for myself and means of transportation, so I'm at least able to get myself away from home to do things other than sit on the couch.

I've biked a lot and done some running, and biking is one of my favorite hobbies. Other than knowing how to pedal or put one foot in front of the other, though, I'm almost completely in the dark as to how to keep myself healthy. I've worked out in gyms before with friends at school, but I'm still pretty clueless as to how to build a workout (I basically followed them around and mimicked what they did; it never lasted long enough for me to figure out why they were doing what they were doing).

As for goals, I have a general idea of what I want to accomplish:

• Strength: be strong enough to move in and out of my on-campus apartment by myself without being out of breath after one flight of stairs
  • Posture: improve posture and strength in upper back;
  • Image: while I definitely want to feel healthier, I also simply want to take pride in my appearance, knowing that I have worked hard to look a certain way (nothing particular in mind; less flab, more muscle I guess).

I have to admit that I'm terrified as I type this, because getting to know new people scares the living daylights out of me. I'm always nervous about trying new things, but I know that this getting healthy is extremely worth it, and I hope to hear from some of you, soon!

Until later,

Chris

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. My recommendation would be to keep doing the pedaling and running, and add in some yoga for posture and the beginner body weight workout for strength. Yraen is right about pull-ups, if you're not there yet Steve has a great blog post about how to do a pull up (the blog is also where you'll find the beginner body weight work out.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Welcome aboard. My recommendation would be to keep doing the pedaling and running, and add in some yoga for posture and the beginner body weight workout for strength. Yraen is right about pull-ups, if you're not there yet Steve has a great blog post about how to do a pull up (the blog is also where you'll find the beginner body weight work out.

I second this. I was just coming back to post a link to the artical he mentioned. So here it is

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/