Forums are back in action! ×

Shakeology

One of my goals is to gain some muscle mass, and right now I realize that I don't eat nearly enough. I remember awhile ago, a buddy of mine let me borrow a bag of Shakeology, and I remember it making me feel reasonably healthy and it tasted pretty good to boot.

However, at 120 dollars per monthly supply... let's just say I'm your typical broke college student. Does anyone have any personal experience with Shakeology (that lasted longer than my puny 2-week sampling).

http://www.shakeology.com/

If you want more muscle mass, you need to eat more protein. Sod paying early 1500 dollars a year on a "snack"

Buy chicken, beef, lamb, tuna etc, eat more of that instead.

just had a further look, its bascially a low fat, low calories drink to replace a meal. 140 calorie meal replacement? Not great for you.

Gimmick.

Improve your diet instead.

If you want more muscle mass, you need to eat more protein. Sod paying early 1500 dollars a year on a "snack"

Buy chicken, beef, lamb, tuna etc, eat more of that instead.

just had a further look, its bascially a low fat, low calories drink to replace a meal. 140 calorie meal replacement? Not great for you.

Gimmick.

Improve your diet instead.

This. No supplement is worth that kind of cash.

If you think protein powder would be a good supplement for your goals and life there are numerous brands out there that are less expensive and taste just fine.

Moar food first.

Supplements second.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, either eat more whole foods or, at the very least, make your own shakes. That's ridiculous money. A couple tubs of quality whey will cost you a third of that, and will likely last longer.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

One of my goals is to gain some muscle mass, and right now I realize that I don't eat nearly enough. I remember awhile ago, a buddy of mine let me borrow a bag of Shakeology, and I remember it making me feel reasonably healthy and it tasted pretty good to boot.

However, at 120 dollars per monthly supply... let's just say I'm your typical broke college student. Does anyone have any personal experience with Shakeology (that lasted longer than my puny 2-week sampling).

http://www.shakeology.com/

I like the Beachbody workouts but that price is f'ing crazy. Go with someone to Costco and buy a giant bag of muscle milk powder. Mine has lasted for about 3-4 months. Buy a bag of spinach, buy a jar of peanut butter, buy bananas and throw them all together with ice and milk (or more muscle milk in liquid form) and you will have shakeology at 1/10th the price. If you're feeling particularly deprived from Shakeologiy's b.s. nutrients, take a multi-vitamin.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will probably just purchase more meat (Pretty sure I could finish off a small river's worth of salmon) and see if that is enough without introducing additional protein in the form of shakes and whatnot. I'm interested about going Paleo, but being Asian I eat a hefty amount of rice per day...

My sister-in-law keeps trying to pedal that Visalus crap on me. She even asked if I would talk to people at the gym about it... I told her thanks, but no thanks. I would be laughed out of my gym! I agree with everyone here... Eat more meat (something I struggle with).

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal