Forums are back in action! ×

Several w00ts for me

Guest guest4729

Guest guest4729

I know I just started, but any support is awesome. Some of the things I'm happy about:

• I have NOT given up on working out and now I get EXITED to go
  • I have spent money on work out clothes and equipment so I keep motivated
  • I have lost close to 10lbs in the past month or so - mostly through diet change (150->142 in the morning before eating)
  • I finally got my iPod Touch in the mail so I'm super excited
  • I think I aced my first two finals out of five
  • I am starting to realize that I don't want to be just thin, I want to be fit

WOOTS indeed! Remember... strong is the new skinny!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Guest guest4729

WOOTS indeed! Remember... strong is the new skinny!

I could NOT agree more!

For the longest time all I wanted was to be skinny...I was one of those girls who thought that losing weight meant sitting on an elliptical or running on a treadmill for long periods of time. Now I know that cardio is great, but I don't need to do it for two hours. I do a mix of cardio, lifting weights at home and using the machines at the school gym. I do about 10-15 minutes of cardio, do some of the machines that I'm comfortable with and then when I'm home I do some free weights with the two that I have. I also just bought a resistance band to do some stuff with that and I'll be looking for some core strengthening exercises as well. :)

I am VERY pleased with myself.

Guest guest4729

I hope my daughters grow up to be smart and confident like you.

That totally made my morning. A lot of people I know now say that they wish they had my motivation, dedication or time management skills.

This was my semester this year:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1199[/ATTACH]

I work close to or over 40 hours a week between two jobs. (The one blacked out is my second job and those hours vary since it's a restaurant.)

I had six classes this semester - three of which being very demanding and difficult.

I am involved in three organizations on campus. That "Brotherhood Meeting" is for my co-ed business fraternity. The MAPP thing is that marketing committee I'm on for the group that plans campus activities and the Organization of Freethinkers is the new secular group I joined.

I kept saying "I don't have time to work out! I don't have time!"

Well, guess what? I MADE time. I started going to bed earlier, spending less time on the computer, eating better and waking up earlier. I now go to the gym 3-4 times a week and it's almost always at 6:30am because that's the only time I know I'll go and spend 45 minutes there.

I'm very proud of myself. :)

post-3966-13567243258013_thumb.jpg

Well, you are certainly exercising your planning "muscles" as well. Congrats all around...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Guest guest4729

Well, you are certainly exercising your planning "muscles" as well. Congrats all around...

As a business major it's crucial that I learn to plan my time wisely. Besides that one of my long-term goals is to live and work in Germany. Business there is normally VERY punctual, VERY orderly and VERY serious. Gotta start now if I want to be that way. :)

Guest guest4729

Wow! That is all awesome! I LOVE my ipod touch :D I hope you enjoy yours too.

You are inspiring me to be more organized!

You have to start small and work your way up. By keeping all my important things on my Google calendar I've helped myself a lot. You can get e-mail and popup reminders for events so you don't forget them as well!

Other than that I try to plan things out as best I can WITHOUT planning it down to the exact minute. I also work to keep my room as organized as possible so I don't get stressed out. A clean room helps clean your mind. A clean diet helps you work out. A clean mind going into a work out gives you that extra strength you need. I can NOT work out knowing that my room in my apartment is an absolute mess. It just screws up my focus.

I am starting to realize that I don't want to be just thin, I want to be fit

I'm still working on this and I want to get there. How I look is very important to me but I also want to be able to play sports and such. I think it'll help once I get more involved in sports once it warms up, it'll give me more motivation to improve my fitness to improve my sport performance rather than my shape being my motivator. One of my favorite quotes is "Shape is a result of your fitness, not the other way around.", and I say it to myself every day when I look in the mirror. Congrats on the Woots!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest guest4729

I'm still working on this and I want to get there. How I look is very important to me but I also want to be able to play sports and such. I think it'll help once I get more involved in sports once it warms up, it'll give me more motivation to improve my fitness to improve my sport performance rather than my shape being my motivator. One of my favorite quotes is "Shape is a result of your fitness, not the other way around.", and I say it to myself every day when I look in the mirror. Congrats on the Woots!

I agree - looks are also VERY important for me. I was always bigger when I was a kid and I got made fun of a lot when I was younger. A lot of kids didn't understand why I was so heavy but it was all as a result of emotional eating. A series of 3-4 deaths in one year wasn't easy for me when I was 8 so I turned to eating lots of snacks to cope. I'm actually starting to feel a little queezy right now thinking about sitting in front of the TV and mindlessly eating chips or cheetos or whatever snacks. I have bought ONE bag of chips this school year and I'm pretty sure they're stale at this point. To think that I used to eat half a bag in ONE sitting grosses me out now.

You totally have to look into the mirror and get over yourself when it comes to losing weight and getting fit. I have accepted that I won't lose it in a week or a month - maybe it'll take 6 months. Who knows. What I DO know is that if I don't get out of bed and get in the gym I'm not doing myself any favors. Sitting around makes me feel weak - going to the gym makes me feel strong. I noticed an awesome change in myself this week. I was walking around campus and I could feel the burn and pain in my muscles but I was PROUD of it. I wanted to work out more, I wanted to sprint to my car, I wanted to get down on the ground and see how long I could plank and I couldn't wait to get home and try out the resistance band I bought in the morning before I had to run to class.

Today is going to be a rest day for me after three consecutive days in the gym. I plan on doing SOMETHING though to make up for it. Possibly some planking, some use of the new resistance band and I might even go out and buy a pullup bar if my door measurements are okay. If the molding is too small and/or my frame is too thick it won't fit. Gotta remember to measure it.

I agree - looks are also VERY important for me. I was always bigger when I was a kid and I got made fun of a lot when I was younger. A lot of kids didn't understand why I was so heavy but it was all as a result of emotional eating. A series of 3-4 deaths in one year wasn't easy for me when I was 8 so I turned to eating lots of snacks to cope. I'm actually starting to feel a little queezy right now thinking about sitting in front of the TV and mindlessly eating chips or cheetos or whatever snacks. I have bought ONE bag of chips this school year and I'm pretty sure they're stale at this point. To think that I used to eat half a bag in ONE sitting grosses me out now.

You totally have to look into the mirror and get over yourself when it comes to losing weight and getting fit. I have accepted that I won't lose it in a week or a month - maybe it'll take 6 months. Who knows. What I DO know is that if I don't get out of bed and get in the gym I'm not doing myself any favors. Sitting around makes me feel weak - going to the gym makes me feel strong. I noticed an awesome change in myself this week. I was walking around campus and I could feel the burn and pain in my muscles but I was PROUD of it. I wanted to work out more, I wanted to sprint to my car, I wanted to get down on the ground and see how long I could plank and I couldn't wait to get home and try out the resistance band I bought in the morning before I had to run to class.

Today is going to be a rest day for me after three consecutive days in the gym. I plan on doing SOMETHING though to make up for it. Possibly some planking, some use of the new resistance band and I might even go out and buy a pullup bar if my door measurements are okay. If the molding is too small and/or my frame is too thick it won't fit. Gotta remember to measure it.

Lots of good stuff going on here. I was pretty hung-up on looks, too, when I started my turnaorund a few short months ago. Funny thing is, the best and most noticable results have started to happen after a) a little bit of time, and B) giving up the focus on aesthetics and concentrating on working as hard as possible.

Guest guest4729

Lots of good stuff going on here. I was pretty hung-up on looks, too, when I started my turnaorund a few short months ago. Funny thing is, the best and most noticable results have started to happen after a) a little bit of time, and B) giving up the focus on aesthetics and concentrating on working as hard as possible.

I agree with you! Once I started caring less about just losing weight, I actually lost weight. When I was worried about counting every calorie I consumed, I just stayed at a stand still. I was so concerned about what I ate that I just stressed myself out. Now that I know the general intake of things I'm more or less relying on the work out portion now. I work to lift things up, put them down and then do a bit of cardio as well. If I look awesome as an end result that's fine by me!

Those in door pullup bars fit a wide range of doors. Just make sure you use a standard 42" door. I don't have any doors that size and can't do normal pullups. I can only do chinups or the pullups with the two bars the point toward you since the doors in my apartment are too narrow.

Edit: Holy crap, that may have been my most grammatically terrible post ever.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest guest4729

Those in door pullup bars fit a wide range of door. Just make sure you use a standard 42" door. i don't have any that size and cant do normal pullups and have to only to chinups or the ones with the two bars the point toward you.

Ahhh, interesting. I'll keep that in mind as well! Hopefully I'll be purchasing a pull up bar of some sort in the very near future. I can't do a single pullup or chinup so I plan on either hanging there or doing negative pullups to get myself to my goal.