Forums are back in action! ×

bondgirl311's Battle Log - RAWR!

Monday, 12 December 2011:

Walking (treadmill) - 5k (3.3 miles); appx 50-60 minutes (avg speed 3.0)

Tuesday, 13 December 2011:

Warmup on rowing machine: 500m 2:20.1

Deadlift: 95x5

Bench press: 45x5x3

Squat: 55x5x3

I hadn't lifted in maybe 5 weeks or longer, so I'm almost way back where I started at the beginning of September. Two months of hard work, almost completely down the tubes. I could've gone for more weight, but I didn't want to do too much too soon.

Next time (Saturday morning) I'll be increasing the weight from 2.5-5lbs on each lift, re-introducing two-arm kettlebell swings (26lbs - goal to get to 100 swings in one set by my birthday on March 11 (get it? 3/11?)), and need to work out a schedule for when I should get back to 5k meters rowing.

My main concern is getting in my cardio and trying to run with the oncoming winter weather. I need to condition my legs (I get really bad pains from extremely tight calf muscles), but the treadmill is just too rough on them right now. I may have to brave the cold and dark and find a safe trail/grassy area to jog on, or just wait until the weekends when I can do it in the daylight.

I'm training for the Warrior Dash (May 20th), and having fallen off the wagon for these past 6 weeks has been horrible for my training schedule, so any advice would be most appreciated and will garner mucho hugs.

Tonight I have choir from 6:30-9pm, we're gearing up for our big Christmas concert at church, so it may be another night for walking. I'm hoping tomorrow to get to the gym and kick ass in that Latin Fusion class I enjoyed so much :D

Wednesday, 14 December 2011:

Yesterday I only managed to go on a walk that I estimated to be about a mile (maybe under, like about 0.8) on my lunchbreak. I tried to keep a brisk pace (about 3.3-3.5mph), but it was an impromptu walk, so my work shoes were a bit of a hindrance. I've actually got a couple little blisters on my feet, and these are my comfy work shoes too :/ I was too tired after choir to go to the fitness center, but these long practices will end soon since our Christmas concert is on Sunday.

I'm so proud of myself. I packed my gym clothes and running shoes so I can go to the gym. I really do enjoy my gym, it's just not in a very convenient location at the moment, so it just makes it even easier to put off going. I'd like to do a solid workout tonight, get in my cardio, etc.

Next week my cardio goal is to walk at least a mile every day. I can easily walk a mile in 20 minutes, so I shouldn't have a problem finding time to do it.

just subscribed - looking forward to watching your progress!

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Looks like we might be doing some of the same exercise at the same weights. Looking forward to seeing your progress and trying to keep up with you!

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Huzzah!

Sadly I was unable to lift on Saturday morning since I had a big choir rehearsal before our performances last night. I actually had time to later in the day, but I just had no energy/motivation, and I think that was partly because I wasn't in the forums at all over the weekend!

I also realize I haven't been logging the itsy bitsy "workouts" I've been doing. On Thursday and Friday I managed to squeeze in some bodyweight squats and standing calf raises here at work (while hiding in the bathroom). So here they are:

Thursday, 15 December 2011:

Walking - 5minx2 (lunchtime, tried to keep it brisk)

Standing calf raises - 15x1

Bodyweight squats - 15x1

Friday, 16 December 2011:

Walking - 5minx2

Standing calf raises - 20x2

Bodyweight squats - 20x2

I'll be increasing the number of sets I do. I can easily be doing some kind of bodyweight routine while I'm watching tv.

Lifting again on Tuesday - yay!

the TV workouts are good. either while watching or during commercials... makes better use of that time, me thinks.

and that's awesome you're in a choir - did you guys have a holiday performance this weekend?

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Open the bottle, sprinkle some awesome sauce on yourself and move on. Last weekend is over. How did the performance go? Sometimes you need to focus on other things...

*sprinkles awesome sauce on me to Cherry Pie* ... too much?

the TV workouts are good. either while watching or during commercials... makes better use of that time, me thinks.

and that's awesome you're in a choir - did you guys have a holiday performance this weekend?

We did have our performance! It went really well. Everyone seemed to enjoy it a lot. It was exhausting, but I love it. I've been in some type of choir since I was 9 years old I think, whether through school or church. Performing has always been a creative outlet for me, the musicals I did in high school were my favorite - acting, singing and dancing, triple whammy of fun!

OI have this in my fridge, it is delicious on veggies.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/dc05/

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

OI have this in my fridge, it is delicious on veggies.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/dc05/

That looks absolutely delicious! I might have to make myself an awesome sauce stir fry...

That's rough about your calves. I am blessed with loose calves and a good Achilles but outrageously tight hamstrings so I feel your [leg] pain. Have you thought about doing yoga? Downward dog works your calves pretty damn good.

That's a good idea. I know I just need to stretch more overall, but sometimes stretching too much just causes more pain, it's a very fine line :/

That's a good idea. I know I just need to stretch more overall, but sometimes stretching too much just causes more pain, it's a very fine line :/

The problem I find is that calves are just so tough to stretch. If you do downward dug and alternate bending your knees you'll get a good stretch without too much pain. Don't try to put both feet on the floor. Then, when you want to get clever move one foot behind the other and stretch the calf. Good luck!

The problem I find is that calves are just so tough to stretch. If you do downward dug and alternate bending your knees you'll get a good stretch without too much pain. Don't try to put both feet on the floor. Then, when you want to get clever move one foot behind the other and stretch the calf. Good luck!

Thanks!

Now I know a lot of people debate over "stretching cold" and if it really impacts your progress or not, and if getting the blood pumping first helps. I danced for years (over 12 total) and I feel that getting your heart rate up and the blood pumping to those muscles really does help you get a better stretch, though that's just my personal experience.

Thanks!

Now I know a lot of people debate over "stretching cold" and if it really impacts your progress or not, and if getting the blood pumping first helps. I danced for years (over 12 total) and I feel that getting your heart rate up and the blood pumping to those muscles really does help you get a better stretch, though that's just my personal experience.

Most of what I see these days recommend doing dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching post-workout.

Most of what I see these days recommend doing dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching post-workout.

Dynamic... as in while moving, right? Sorry, it's been a long week.

Don't forget about the good old jumping jack. I've done jumping jacks wearing a heart rate monitor and they get you going.

I love jumping jacks!

*drumroll...* .... Update!

I was watching tv last night and decided to get active so I did a few little things in between doing laundry, dishes, etc.

Wednesday, 21 December 2011:

Jumping jacks: 50x2

BW Squats: 30x3 <--- I ATG'd those mofo's!

Standing calf raises: 25

Kneeling push-up: 1 <--- Yeah... time to work on my upper body strength

Stretching: 10 min

One of my goals in the near future is to be able to do REAL pushups. My (now) 16 year old knocks them out (She does 50 in a set of 30, 20) but I'm doing incline pushups. but I soooo wanna do real ones!!

Super grats on getting your work outs in this week!! I am having issues there.

Thanks! They're not the workouts I've been wanting to do, thats for sure, but I've been having difficulty going out to the gym, so I'm trying to do at least something.

I would LOVE to be able to rock out 50 pushups. I'll definitely be working some bodyweight routines into my January challenge :)

*drumroll...* .... Update!

I was watching tv last night and decided to get active so I did a few little things in between doing laundry, dishes, etc.

Wednesday, 21 December 2011:

Jumping jacks: 50x2

BW Squats: 30x3 <--- I ATG'd those mofo's!

Standing calf raises: 25

Kneeling push-up: 1 <--- Yeah... time to work on my upper body strength

Stretching: 10 min

Good job! I find my impulsive, one-the-spot workouts can be the most rewarding. I got things done around the house AND got in a workout! Looking forward to following your progress. =)

~Mel ••• Starbuck is my hero •••

30-Day Paleo Challenge Extravaganza!! ~~ Mel's Workout Log ~~ Online Measurements ~~ Online Weight Log ~~ twitter

Good job! I find my impulsive, one-the-spot workouts can be the most rewarding. I got things done around the house AND got in a workout! Looking forward to following your progress. =)

Thanks! The spontaneous workouts do seem to leave me feeling more satisfied. Like, "Man, I didn't even plan to kick ass, but I DID." Haha.

P.S. Love the avatar.