Forums are back in action! ×

bondgirl311's Battle Log - RAWR!

w00t!

Tuesday, 27 December, 2011:

Decided randomly (okay maybe not that random, I had just taken my "before" pictures) to go for a run. First, let me clarify that when I say I'm going for a run, I mean that I'm running/jogging until I have to walk, then walk until I can run/jog again. Second, I kicked ASS this time.

I'd been very discouraged by my lack of progress and the pain I continued to feel when I tried running before. Yesterday I was feeling really good and needed to get out and do something active. It had stopped raining, so I thought I'd be good in a light jacket and my regular workout gear.

Turns out the rain had only stopped temporarily. About a mile into my run/walk (ralk? wun?), the rain started again. Not too heavy, just a drizzle. Then the rain started coming down a bit harder - still no big deal, I like the rain and it wasn't too cold. Then the wind started.

I hadn't realized that my jacket wasn't waterproof, so eventually I was soaked through. Fortunately I lived in South Dakota for a couple years and learned very quickly there to walk backwards when the wind got very cold. I didn't care who was watching and looking at me like "what is that strange girl doing out there?", I was preventing hypothermia at this point (and trying to prevent an asthma attack as well; did I mention I forgot my inhaler? Silly me).

Anywho, despite the weather, I still managed to kick ass. Another runner passed me when I was walking and I saw those shiny spandex leggings under his shorts, the waterproof jacket, and his warm hat and thought, "Hmm, I gotta get me some of those..." It also inspired me to keep running every so often, if only to get home faster so I could take a hot shower. At one point I thought to myself, "Omgosh, I'm one of those runners I used to drive by and think 'damn, those people are crazy,'" and it. felt. great.

Stats (using RunKeeper):

Time: 41:52

Distance: 2.42 miles

Avg min/mile: 17:17

I'm kinda feeling it in my hips today, a tad in my ankles last night, but overall feeling great! I think the longest stretch I ran in one go was over a quarter mile, which is definitely a PR. Can't wait to run again and beat my time!

Good job bg. Just be careful you don't catch cold out there or get hit by a car walking backwards ;-). Ease up if you feel pain, but try to keep to consistent schedule so that you can track your progress to more and more awesome.

Also google "run calorie calculator" and find one that calculates calories burned from your BW, speed/pace. That way you can track how many calories you expended in each run and add it to your BMR for how much you should be eating daily.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Good job bg. Just be careful you don't catch cold out there or get hit by a car walking backwards ;-). Ease up if you feel pain, but try to keep to consistent schedule so that you can track your progress to more and more awesome.

Also google "run calorie calculator" and find one that calculates calories burned from your BW, speed/pace. That way you can track how many calories you expended in each run and add it to your BMR for how much you should be eating daily.

Haha! Fortunately I was on a sidewalk, and there wasn't much traffic. I'm thinking of trying to run again today, but might just walk briskly instead to stay active. The cold wind is still a-blowin' out there, and that definitely worsens my asthma. I'll look into that calorie calculator. It'd be nice to know if my dinner completely obliterated the deficit created by my run or not!

I was getting groceries in it after hitting the gym and was out in just a tshirt, shorts, and not waterproof in any way Vibrams. I don't know how you ran in it, but way to go.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I was getting groceries in it after hitting the gym and was out in just a tshirt, shorts, and not waterproof in any way Vibrams. I don't know how you ran in it, but way to go.

Thank you!! :D I found out pretty quickly that my running shoes have waterproof soles, but that part over your toes that "breathes" is certainly not waterproof. It was uncomfortable, especially once the rain just soaked my face and my eyelashes were dripping (thank goodness I wasn't wearing makeup, that would've sucked worse), but I had long pants on and a long-sleeve jacket on over my tee. Waterproof or not, having some kind of protection from the wind helped immensely.

I bet having just gotten hot at the gym and then getting chilled in the rain sucked.

Wow! Better than me. My walking briskly the other day wore me out. When I lived in the DC area for a time, I used to walk/jog on the W&OD trail since it's flat and relatively safe or, for more scenic views, I would go to Roosevelt Island off of the Rosslyn metro station. After next May, I am going to move back up there so that I can enjoy it. I also used to walking up and down King St in Alexandria since it's all on an incline....that and I love the tea and knitting shops. hehe.

Keep up the good work! I'm subscribing to yours now.

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

Wow! Better than me. My walking briskly the other day wore me out. When I lived in the DC area for a time, I used to walk/jog on the W&OD trail since it's flat and relatively safe or, for more scenic views, I would go to Roosevelt Island off of the Rosslyn metro station. After next May, I am going to move back up there so that I can enjoy it. I also used to walking up and down King St in Alexandria since it's all on an incline....that and I love the tea and knitting shops. hehe.

Keep up the good work! I'm subscribing to yours now.

For me it varies day by day. Tuesday was a very good day, but it's been so bad before I've had to go home before I reached a quarter-mile.

Those are GREAT places to walk. I love King St (isn't Old Town AWESOME??), but I need to try W&OD and Roosevelt Island. Glad to hear you'll be back in the area! :D