Forums are back in action! ×

6 months ago i couldn't spell gradiate, now i is one

so, i know i've mentioned this in passing in nearly all my posts recently, but i had my graduation ceremony from college today :) technically, i don't graduate until early january when all grades are in and all transcripts have been verified (dotting ts and crossing is and such) but this was a really special day for me.

i began college about 8 years ago at 18 at a large state school but left in the middle of my fall semester of my sophmore year. at the time, i was not motivated to go to class and i had a boyfriend back home with whom the relationship had turned rocky (well, it was a rocky relationship the whole time we were together, mostly due to me being young and making bad choices but that is another story for another day). anyway, i spent a few months floundering and working at the mall and then i got a job in property management. after a year at that job, i realized that i wanted to go to school to study business and i started to gather my motivation. i went part time to community college and eventually transferred to a local state school where i remained part time for a semester or two. eventually, i decided to go back to school full time (hurray for student loans!) and complete two degrees (one of which i had already started during my first attempt at college).

it was not easy, and i won't say that i did particulaly well grade-wise (i have finally realized i am just not a school kinda person...though i love to learn) but i made it through...and i couldn't be more proud of myself.

growing up, i always did well in school, took ap classes in high school, etc...i just sort of assumed college would be easy and then life would go on. this, obviously, was not the case.

i've learned so much over the past 8 years, most of which is about myself. i look back at where i was at 18 - basically a kid - and i look at myself now and it's amazing the difference.

i cried the other night for no apparently reason (freaked the hell outta my boyfriend). and i realized it was because i was remembering all the tough times, all the feelings of inadequecy when you see your peers achieving while you stand still, all the years in that rocky relationship that i just wanted to feel loved...and i realized that it's all behind me. for me, graduation from college is about closing a chapter in my life that is filled with alot of pain...but also alot of joy.

i am very greatful for where i am in life now. i have a job offer that i start in january (it's a short term assignment but alot of my classmates don't have jobs yet), a wonderful place to live in a neighborhood i love, a family that supported me through all the tough times (in fact, my sister and i both graduated today - she finished college in the more-standard 4ish years), and a boyfriend who i love and who loves me and with whom i can see a future.

i am incredibly blessed.

i promise i will stop talking about graduating from college in all my posts now :)

We are proud of you. Thank you for sharing and letting us celebrate this moment with you.

Did that come out in a HGH/testosterone-laced deep voice? Feel free to cry on my shoulder, but if you leave any snot, you'll be receiving a bill from my dry cleaner...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Guest guest4729

Yay for you! Congrats on graduating! I still have another year and a half left and I'm scared as hell about not being able to find a job in this economy. I don't get the best grades but I'm involved on campus and I have two jobs and work my ass off. I'm very greatful that I'm here, but I'm in the same boat with financial aid. Thankfully state school is cheap. Lol

Talk about it all you want ebm, congrats! It is on of the biggest achievements in the lives of most people who accomplish it and with what you went through to get there, it makes it even more so of a big thing. Shout it from the mountain tops.

P.S. I am seriously considering starting a petition against ETF's new avatar.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

congrats em! good on you for taking charge like that. :)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Dude, I still remember your first avatar from when you first joined up... ;-)

Posted Image

Yeah, still so proud about pulling that one off.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf