Forums are back in action! ×

Sleep Anxiety...a thing?

I have been taking anti-depressant medication for a while now. I upped my dosage in May and it really did wonders for my mood and emotional stability.

Recently, though, I have been having a horrible time whenever I am preparing for bed. I often feel anxious to the point of having near panic attacks. I haven't had anxiety or panic attacks in nearly a year and they have just come out of the blue. Not to mention I sometimes get this odd flutter/lightheaded feeling that I could equate to a very minor episode of vertigo.

Obviously I know that if they get bad enough I need to see a doctor, but I was wondering if there was anyone else out here who experience this.

I usually tell myself that I'm worrying over something in my subconscious, but I can't think of a blessed thing that would make me so manic and anxious, that I would have these sort of fits and attacks before going to sleep. It's worse when I'm so tired that I can barely keep my eyes open, but for whatever reason my brain just won't allow me that restful sleep.

I do have Trazadone, but I try not to take it until I absolutely need to which I haven't in quite some time. I'm not afraid of taking it, but I didn't want to become too dependent on it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Sparkles?

I think everyone has moments of what could be called panic or dread when it comes to sleeping. That kind of existential dread (Philip Larkin wrote a poem about it "Aubade"). But every night, as you're dressing for bed. That's not so good. I'd go see a doctor, especially if the new feelings line up with changes in medication.

I had a period of mild, sudden panic attacks, they seriously suck. And it's hard to think clearly to do anything to try and help. But a few deep breaths, a little meditation, they do wonders :)

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

I think I should suggest you go ahead and talk to the doctor.

Sparkles%20(film)%20-%20460x300.JPG

I think everyone has moments of what could be called panic or dread when it comes to sleeping. That kind of existential dread (Philip Larkin wrote a poem about it "Aubade"). But every night, as you're dressing for bed. That's not so good. I'd go see a doctor, especially if the new feelings line up with changes in medication.

I had a period of mild, sudden panic attacks, they seriously suck. And it's hard to think clearly to do anything to try and help. But a few deep breaths, a little meditation, they do wonders :)

They seem to have definitely calmed down since my original posting. I have been doing my best to read before bed, sit or lay quietly, listen to some calming music ... anything to keep me nice and laid back. It's been helping! I'm definitely keeping an eye on it, though, just in case it flares up again. To the doctor I shall go then!

Have you ever heard of sleep paralysis? If you are laying in bed for a long time very still but your mind is not asleep sometimes your body goes into sleep mode before your mind. This is often accompanied by a buzzing or whooshing sound and a sense of falling. It used to happen to me frequently, and it scared the crap out of me. Turns out its normal and natural its just usually you are asleep when your body goes into paralysis it's a defense mechanism, so you don't flail around as you dream about busting out Climhazard at WalMart. The interesting thing about it is that if you can stay calm through this transition area you can have a waking dream :-) I might be completely off base here but that's what you said reminded me of. It first started occurring to me during a very stressful emotional period in my life.

• Like 1

-Avitus Xenoi-
Race: Ascending Kitsukan
Class: Recruit
Level:1
STR: 2 | CHA: 1 | | STA: 0 | WIS: 3 | CON: 2.3 | DEX: 0

Avitus' Battle Log

"Avali ne kono ni."

Current Challenge