Forums are back in action! ×

Pat G's battle log. Hammer Bros workout.

Hopefully yes.

Mind on other things today

friday 14 Sept 2012.

5 minutes of ITB rolling + 5 mins leg & back stretches

bench: @92.5kg: 5, 4, 2 lols

Row row row your boat: @70kg: 5, 5, 5, 4. last two sets underhand.

dips: 10, 6

scuttle back to work with no lunch.

edit: peanut butter sandwich + maybe 1/2 a kilo of grapes.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I don't know how much father i can progress each session on the Deadlift, i'm not really doing 2x5 warmup sets anymore, ones twos and threes till i get to working weight. AJ Rock, where is your programming knowledge when i need it.

My usual warm-ups for dead lifts usually goes 60kg X 5 for form, then:

(in percentages of working weight)

65% X 3

80% X 2

95% X 1

total warm-up reps: 11. The key is that, once you get form back under knuckle, to ramp up the intensity fairly quickly, get muscle and mind primed to do whatcha gotta do. I think you're going too light on the warm-up ATM.

Umm as for your form issues. This is where upper back and CHEST both actually come into play. I've come out of deadlifts feeling like I pulled a pec sometimes, as everything stabilizes out. That being said, your deadlift is only ~ 10kg below my best, but my upperback/row ability is way up from you. You might be gettin to playing catch up soon. Maybe give those rows a bit more priority. Reaaaaaaally concentrate on the scapular retraction.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Definately feel the heavy ones in the chest, and the area immediately under/ next to my shoulder blades. I believe rows are my least favorite exercise.... Do the dumbell substitutes or bodyweight rows translate across?

Mon 17 Sept

Tried getting 1rms for the fall brawl

Deadlift: 5x60kg, 3x80kg, 3x100, 1x120, 1x140kg, 1x160kg, 1x 170kg, 1x175kg, FAILx180kg

OHP: 5x20kg, 5x40kg, 2x60kg, 1x70kg, 1x75kg, 1x80kg, 1x82.5kg

DIPS: 8, 8, 8 just to feel like i did some work today.

no time to get the Bench 1RM in.

Foods: large tbone steak + chips & gravy + fruits.

S'long as you're getting horizontal adduction and scapular retraction. I'm actually a huge fan of single arm dumbbell rows, and recently started T-bars just for giggles.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Those numbers look pretty good, man. How'd they compare to the last time? I'm pretty sure that deadlift is up, right? You very nearly OHP'd me!

The coach/trainer/big boss at my gym is making me do more back work to assist deads and squats too. Mostly pendlays, one day of sets of 5 reps, one day sets of 12 reps. And planks too, to give the core some added work to assist. So get that assistance in ;)

I was pretty happy with them apples too!

Update: these may have been the last heavy numbers I post in a while. Took a redundancy package yesterday, also means I'm out of a gym membership. I might just use and abuse the free trials local gyms offer. Maybe a training session to be posted later in the day.

Cheers for the support, but I'm not stressed at all. Now I've got even More incentive to get a local job instead of the commute up to Sydney. Yesterday spend the day organising and packing impromptu trip to Thredbo before heading out into the country for a family birthday party.

Push ups: 30, 30, 20

Dips: 10, 9, 8.

Jump squats: 10, 10, 10, 8

A million games of tip

Pfft Colorado. Blue Mountain up near Toronto in Canada, iz much better!

Good luck re: the job thing. Insert the usual rah rah support text here.

Unfortunately, no Canada, no USA, no Japan for me, are on the list now.

Training Tues 25 Sept 2012

Bringing the comically loaded bar back.

Bench: 30kg:15, 40kg:10 50kg: 10 60kg: 10, 80kg: 7, 90kg: 5, 5.

Machine fly: various stack levels.

Front squats: @50kg: 8, 8, 8. Cleaned from the ground, no squat rack.

Back squats: @50kg, @60kg, @80kg:7, 6, 5. Clean and pressed. No rack.

You cleaned the weight, pressed it, then lowered it behind your head, squated, then pressed it and finally lowered it to the ground? With 80KG?!!?

So where are you training now? No rack, that sucks. Maybe hit front squats up for a little while, get them good and heavy. I don't know how you're saftely getting that weight behind your head without a rack as it is, but there is definitely a limit to how heavy you can go.

How was Threadbo?

Garage training with some mates. That was the limit, push press maxed out for sure, last two sets of 80kg i had to get the blokes help me goodmorning the weight back onto the weight bench :P

I'm checking out the PCYC today after i go to a jobs Expo so that should be good :D

Thredbo, it was warm warm warm, by 10am the snow was already starting to get wet. But it was a blast, took the kids up the Kosciusko lift, way too windy so went back down and up Merrits lift and played up there for a while. Grabbed some snow sliders from the lodge we were staying in and went tobogganing further up the valley.

Oh is Fosters supposed to be beer now? :P

Pat this last winter was the first my kiddo was not interested in sledding :( I'll turn that around this year--although he'll probably start boarding like a pro and be off and away, ha. Growing up we used to sled in the mountains, it was SO fun! Here there are only windy bare hills and it's a LOT colder by the time we get decent snowfall, so fun only with lots of cocoa most days!

We had a good time.another impromptu road trip to Canberra on thurs to check out the national zoo and floriade. Long day but good.

Friday 28 Sept pcyc gym.

Squats: 3x5x100kg.

Ohp: sets of 5 @ 20 40 60 70 60 kg

Rows 3x5x70kg

Some horrible power cleans. Lucky none of the oly liters were there to groan at them.

These guys have an oly lifting Coach come in Mon wed Fri nights. Will be attending for sure