Forums are back in action! ×

Please help me fine-tune my workout schedule

So I've been doing SS for a little over two weeks now, and I love it! My numbers have been going up slowly but steadily, and I'm genuinely enjoying going to the gym. Which is a crazy feeling. But now I'm thinking I'd like to add to my routine a bit. Specifically, I'd like to add planks and inverted bodyweight rows (the latter in an attempt to work my way up to being able to do a pull-up). Over-ambitious? Maybe. But here are my questions:

1) Is adding this to my workouts necessary, or is it overkill/redundant on top of the SS routine?

2) Planks: I'm a bit confused. When I do planks as part of my vinyasa yoga classes, I'm up on my hands with straight arms. But descriptions and videos of planks online tell me to be down on my forearms. Is it just different in yoga? Is one way better than the other?

3) If I am going to add planks and rows, should I do it on gym days right before/after lifting? Or should I do it on off days? (My off days: 2 are spent going to yoga class in the morning, 1 is spent doing a long bike ride, 1 is a total rest day.)

4) Is there anything else you think I should add to my workout schedule based on what I've said?

Ah, yes, you're going to ask what my goals are in order to answer these questions! I'm not interested in weight loss, but I would like to reduce my body fat percentage. But I'm mainly trying to get stronger, aka build muscle. I'm 26 years old, female, 5'6", 140 lb.

Thank you in advance :)

I added planks to my routine and am liking the results so far. However, I don't do yoga so you may find yourself just being uncomfortable and bored for 3+ minutes.

Inverted rows should overlap with the Power Cleans, I'd put them in the same day if you wanted to tinker with them.

Mon: DeadLift, Pulldown (Chin grip), DB Rows, Push-ups

Wed: Bench Press, Military Press, DB Press, Chins

Fri: Squat, Leg Press, Good Mornings, Chins, Push-ups

I do planks on forearms and with straight arms. The ones on the forearms gives me more of a burn in my core and not in my shoulders.

Planks on a swiss ball are a nice substitute! Rotate your arms to work your side.

Also side planks work another part of your core!

The plank hurts me everytime, but I still love him!

I do planks on forearms and with straight arms. The ones on the forearms gives me more of a burn in my core and not in my shoulders.

Planks on a swiss ball are a nice substitute! Rotate your arms to work your side.

Also side planks work another part of your core!

The plank hurts me everytime, but I still love him!

I would take this information and adjust accordingly. So, maybe straight arm plank when you haven't done too much upper body, and forearms when you have.

I'm not familiar with the layout or workouts in SS so forgive me for that. But I will say in the beginning of SL I was adding planks at the end and now that my numbers are increasing I find it's just too much. Squats, deadlift, OHP all do a great deal of core work (and other lifts, too!). Someone suggested doing them before a workout but I'm not sure that they wouldn't affect my lifts so I never tried it. You could always do them on rest days if it got too much.

I know not of the best time to do inverted rows, though I find Henry usually offers some sound advice.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Planks can likely be done just about anywhere. As long as you're not trashing your core before squats, you should be fine.

Best way to plug in inverted rows would likely in on your deadlift days, afterwards. 2-3 sets to failure/breakdown should do it.

Good luck!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Oh no, conflicting advice about which day to add the inverted rows! After deadlifts or after power cleans... who do I believe?! I guess there's nothing to do but try it both ways and see what seems to work, I suppose. (Unless someone would like to cast a tiebreaking vote?)

Thanks for the advice, all! :) You're the best.