Forums are back in action! ×

Okay, so my hubby is getting me hooked on this....

Hey everyone,

I'm 33, just had my fourth child, and wanted to join my hubby in the Rebellion and support his fitness goals and get my rear moving as well.  Being so recently post-partum, there's a whole lot I'm "not supposed" to do, but as hubby's a Druid this time around, it's a good time for me to join in the fun!

I'm not concerned about weight loss as I'm one of those skinny women other women hate (but I wasn't in high school or college!) and I've always lost my baby weight after a few months post-partum. My concerns are overall strength and speed and just plain not feeling like my bed or couch is a giant magnet and I'm a lump of iron. I have fibromyalgia, and through this pregnancy, I've been stiff after sitting for hardly 20 min. Ergo, I've done an aweful lot of extended sitting since getting up and walking around was so stinking hard! And as my kids are ages 9 (anxiety & sensory processing disorder), 5 (with severe ADHD & mild autism), 3, and not even 2wks, I need to be able to move quickly in a lot of different ways and carry up to 45lbs for however long the situation necessitates.  And then there are those 100lb grocery carts.... ;) And those evil car carts that result in me pushing not only 100lbs of groceries but also 74lb of child weight....And that was before baby arrived on the scene....So, endurance is a good thing too!

Here are hubby's goals that I'll be joining him in working toward. (I promise they're things I've already been trying to improve myself....)

Physical Fitness:

Screens off between 9pm & 9:30pm so that we can hit the sack by 10pm or 10:30pm.  (Usually, bedtime is 12:30-1am for me, so this one will be a toughy....And, yes, I'm submitting this after that deadline, and hubby's in bed asleep already, but hey, I'm not expecting perfection up front. ;) ) Kids need to be up by about 6am for school, so this would be important. I'm a much nicer mom if I've slept, and with a newborn, starting the night early is the only way to get that sleep with school starting next week.

Spiritual Fitness:

Read scripture for an average of 20 minutes a day, split between mornings and evenings. I already am in the habit of at least reading a little bit either in the morning/evening or at both times, so this shouldn't be so hard.

And my fitness goals:

Not sitting for more than 30 min. at a time. Baby's a quick nurser, so I don't think that'll get in the way. Meetings will be the exception.

Posture.... I'll watch my posture. I carried baby so low that I gratefully didn't have back pain, but I've developed horrible posture. So, there we go. Every time I notice I'm sitting poorly, I'll straighten up.

Okay, okay, I'll add a decent bonus like my hubby did:  Squats, dumb bell curls (or should I say, milk jug curls?), and overhead presses. I'm no fitness guru, but that's what hubby said I'd need to do to imitate the motions of picking up a child....I'll start with one the first day (I'm trying to build a habit, right, while not getting in trouble with my OB?) and add one more each day that I do them....about 3x a week. My OB won't complain about that, will she? Maybe....I'm not supposed to carry my kids (whom I carried right up to the day of delivery when it was needed) for six weeks, according to the hospital nurses, and atrophying over the next six (technically 4.5) weeks is not exactly on my to-do list. There are times I NEED to pick up my 3yro and even the 5yro....That's simply life around here!

Goodnight, ya'll!

• Like 2

Here are hubby's goals that I'll be joining him in working toward. (I promise they're things I've already been trying to improve myself....)

Glad to see that. For a bit I was worried you weren't doing this for you. You need to be taking care of yourself for yourself or you'll resent the person who "made you" do it.

Good luck on your quest. :watermelon:

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

Sounds like a good challenge, but have you checked out that strength plan with your OB before starting? After a perfectly normal delivery, I wasn't even supposed to move a chair across the floor for a few weeks. Seemed weird to me, but it's why I suggest checking.

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like a good challenge, but have you checked out that strength plan with your OB before starting? After a perfectly normal delivery, I wasn't even supposed to move a chair across the floor for a few weeks. Seemed weird to me, but it's why I suggest checking.

Well, I haven't actually done any of those bonus strength workouts at this point anyway, so crossing them off my list isn't such a bad thing, I'm thinking. ;) I think a better bonus would be going walking. They didn't say anything against walking. ;)

I've done so-so on my goals so far. I have had some earlier bedtimes, and I've often corrected my posture--and my 9yro has been calling me out there after reading through the copy of my goals I have hanging in the bathroom! I find my motivation to limit how long I'm sitting for is awfully lacking! Lol! I have made an effort to get out of the house in ways that are fairly safe for baby, so although that wasn't a stated goal here, it's still a goal I had for keeping my sanity and I'm doing well there, gratefully!

• Like 1