Forums are back in action! ×

Turning a negative to a positive

Howdy folks, 

I'm just (finally) getting started on this little journey of mine after what has been about five years of false starts, excuses, and doughnuts frosted with pure masked emotions. I "joined" this site a couple years ago, but I was never serious enough about it to get on the forums and introduce myself until now.

I actually got started about two months ago when my girlfriend (at the time) and I got back from meeting my parents. I was at my all-time highest weight - 307. I'm about 6'2" with a decent sized frame, so the weight tends to accumulate without noticing.

So, in that first month, things were good. Girlfriend and I were supporting each other, I was starting to drop the weight and actually notice a difference. Then, our relationship fell apart in a nasty way. Which is where I normally go off the rails and sink into the abyss of bourbon, taquitos, and ice cream.

Not this time, though.

I have actually managed to pull myself off the mat and get back on track. I'm more determined than ever to take this pain, anger, and frustration and turn it into the best thing I've done for myself in a long, long time.

The details of my plan have been to maintain a paleo diet as closely as I possibly can (85-90% so far), rearrange my office and my home to be more focused on activity (i.e. I got a treadmill desk and replaced my couch with a squat rack). Keeping it simple, but I will likely rely on this site and others for guidance, etc.

Anyway, that's the cut of my origin story that made it into the film.  I'm sure as I go along, I'll add more flashback scenes and director's commentary. 

Cheers,

John

Seattle, WA

• Like 2

Welcome!!

Treadmill desk, that sounds amazing... ah, the power of technology!

Good on you for becoming even more determined in the face of stress and hardship.  The true sign of a Rebel.  Stay on that path, we're all right here with ya. :)

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Welcome to the rebellion. Anger is what got me started working out as well. It's so cool you fixed your house to be supportive of your goals, you are well on your way to success. Just keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath