Forums are back in action! ×

Whats the best option?

I am currently in a slight dilemma as to what I should do. There is a pretty sweet gym near my house that I'd like to go to, but its got a steep membership fee ($50 a month, 6 month contract). So I am thinking about instead working out at home. So far the best idea I have is to buy a couple of 20kg kettlebells and use them for various exercises.

Can someone get it good shape with just kettlebells and bodyweight workouts? I'm not looking to get huge or anything, just want to build some strength. Would there be anything else that I could get instead that would be better (while still under $150)? Or should I just swallow my will to hold on to some money and get the gym membership?

Guest guest4729

Such a steep price, ouch! I saw go with doing things at home if that's how much you would have to pay. Look on Craigslist for people selling equipment online, browse Wal*Mart and online retailers and ask around to see if anyone will let you borrow anything they don't use or don't want. Try doing body weight stuff at home or getting weights and doing those at home. You won't have AS much gear as a gym, but you'll also probably be saving yourself A LOT of money in the long run.

If doing it at home doesn't work you always have the option to switch to the gym thing whereas you don't have the option to drop the contract for several months.

Gymnasts get in shape almost solely with bodyweight exercises, so you can get in really good shape with a pull-up bar, some parallel/dip bars, and rings. Even with only a pull-up bar, you can get in good shape with the convict conditioning route. Kettlebells are great for core work and conditioning, although they are a tad pricey for the heavier ones and hard to find second hand.

I'm currently going the kettlebell + bodyweight route and am basically mixing convict conditioning with kettlebell work from a Steve Cotter DVD one of my friends loaned me. Typing his name into Youtube gets a decent amount of bodyweight and kettlebell stuff. I'm content with this route, although I am a bit biased because I've never liked gyms. I have seen gains in strength on this route and my endurance is fairly good (500 meter swim in 12 minutes and 7:30 mile run about 10 minutes later, even though I hadn't done either of those in about a year), and I'm nowhere near the top of the rung on these programs.

Hey Scrawny, this is what I'm trying to do. If you only want strength, it is very doable, however if size is part of the outcome you want, I'd hit the barbells. But for the price of a couple months at the gym you can get a couple of kettlebells, so you might as well give it a try.

I'd suggest getting a couple of different sizes, you'll have more versatility. For things that call for two KBs, you can switch up the arms. I've plugged them before, but I think the Lifeline Kettlebells are the best and they're the only ones made in the US.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I can't believe Loren hasn't found this yet! In his honor I'll go ahead and suggest Convict Conditioning. I believe there are 10 levels of bodyweight exercises, each moving you to a more difficult phase of resistance.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

If you do decide to do your workouts at home, you might want to consider getting a pull-up bar too. I work out at a gym, but I still want one so that I can just jump on the thing every time I pass the door where I put it up.

Love your Merton quote! I just visited his monastery last week.

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

@awsd, thats what I'm thinking I'm going to do. Can't get a full weight set though (like bench press or squat rack, or really even a barbell) due to space limitations. :-\

@cianalas, That is the route I think I'm going to take. Invest in a pullup bar that hangs on the door (can't get one that drills in) and get the kettlebells and I should get all the workout I need. I just haven't seen/heard of anyone who has trained with basically just that before (other than people who just want to lose weight).

@ETF, it is pretty cold out around here (Chicago, Il) which is why I need an alternative to working out outside like I do in the summer.

@sloth, Let's say I could only buy 3 total kettlebells, and I'm pretty sure I can clean and press two 20kg, what would you suggest I get for the 3rd? Heavier or lighter?

@Laura, Thanks, I will keep it in mind and see if I can find any videos on youtube to use instead of buying the book (if I do have to, why would I right?).

@Damzie, Thats definitely one of the things I wanna do. I had some friends in college who had a pullup bar in the threshold to their kitchen, and it was awesome just to play on, let alone work out with. And I love that quote of his. Where is his monastery at? I'd love to visit it sometime too!

(btw, I like parenthesis if ya didn't notice)

Personally, I would go for the home option. It might be a little more money than you would like to spend at once, but you can do whatever you want when it's convenient for you.

Are you looking at Kettlebells because they appeal to you, or because you live someplace where it would be inconvenient to have a barbell set?

@sloth, Let's say I could only buy 3 total kettlebells, and I'm pretty sure I can clean and press two 20kg, what would you suggest I get for the 3rd? Heavier or lighter?

I'm a newbie with the kettlebells (6 wks with a trainer, 6 wks on my own) so take my advice at your own risk; if you can press a 20kg (seems to me like you're pretty strong already), get a heavier one.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

@Army, its a little bit of both. I don't have the room for a barbell set and they seem to be generally be more expensive. At the same time, kettle bells seem pretty awesome (I've done a little bit of training with them at a free crossfit workshop) and very versatile and take up virtually no space. So there is a lot that to like about them from my standpoint.

@Sloth, I actually went to a used sports equipment store today and tested out a 40lb(close to 20kg), and I could swing it fine, but doing a one handed clean and press with it was a bit tougher than I want (I don't think my form was too good and I don't thing I could do it more than a second time). So I'm gonna be looking at 16kgs, and then taking your advice, getting a 20kg too. I figure I'll do the swings and other things that use a lot of momentum with the 20kg and all the controlled concentric/eccentric movements with the 16kgs.

Thank you everyone for your help! I can't wait to buy those kettlebells!!!!

Yes do take note of cianalas' comment: gymnasts get in crazy shape with just bodyweight, the key is to continue increasing the force to make yourself stronger.

I read a huge article about it the other day, basically about increasing the disadvantage to your muscles instead of just getting a heavier object, ill see if I can dig it up.

Edit:

Found it, first page of this book:

Overcoming Gravity

You can look inside the book and check it out online, pretty cool ideas.

I am currently in a slight dilemma as to what I should do. There is a pretty sweet gym near my house that I'd like to go to, but its got a steep membership fee ($50 a month, 6 month contract). So I am thinking about instead working out at home. So far the best idea I have is to buy a couple of 20kg kettlebells and use them for various exercises.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTQttnNyXk

Alright, I would go for the KBs then. Dragondoor makes high quality bells, but they're very expensive. If you have an Amazon account, Christian's Fitness Factory has very cheap ones. Checking right now, it's $63 for a 24 KG (53 lbs). You'll spend a good amount of money on shipping though, but I would imagine that's common.

Guest Carjack

Other options:

Get a big sack full of playground sand or flour. One that doesn't leak. Hug it and take to thighs, walk up apartment stairs, shoulder it, press it.

Olympic dumbbell off Craigslist. Walk with it, clean & press, overhead swing, snatch, jerk, row, bent press, pistols. Put a thin rubber mat under your practice area so practice is quiet.

I actually really like the sandbag idea! I might give that a try. I could get a decent sized bag, fill it, and duct tape the shit out of it!

your parents are going to be pissed if that duct tape doesn't work... lol... do your parents have a sewing machine? Also a few cheap twist ties at home depot may work too.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

As it turns out, after mentioning the sandbag idea, they decided they would just pay for my gym membership for me (in exchange for chores....Many many chores). So now I've got a 40lb kettle bell at home and a gym with crossfit and tons of other cool stuff. So the gym is going to be my primary workout, and after I start getting used to the load more I will use the kettle bell for supplementary work.