Forums are back in action! ×

Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells?

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells or the Nautilus PowerPak dumbbells? I've been thinking about picking up a set, because I've got a couple of Cap Dumbbells, but I just don't have the space to keep collecting them as I need more weight on each dumbbell.

I like the idea of an all-in-one kit like the SelectTech or PowerPak sets, because there's no plates to store, they only take up as much room as the two dumbbells do. Are they any good, or are they flimsy and prone to breaking? If you own a set, I'd love to hear what you think of them. Thanks!

"When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet."

Twitter: @bill_clark

Get some decent Olympic dumbbell handles and 250 pounds of dumbbell plates.

He mentioned he doesn't want to store all the plates. I'm in a similar situation. Really short on space and am looking for some all in one select-able dumbbells as well.

Carjack, would you care to expand on why you would recommend the Olympic + plates above what the OP was asking about? I'd be interested in your opinion on that.

Guest Carjack

He mentioned he doesn't want to store all the plates. I'm in a similar situation. Really short on space and am looking for some all in one select-able dumbbells as well.

Carjack, would you care to expand on why you would recommend the Olympic + plates above what the OP was asking about? I'd be interested in your opinion on that.

The Olympic dumbbell can be made heavier than anything 99% of lifters are capable of, and it's one of the most affordable dumbbell types.

The plates are very small and easy to store with the dumbbell. Slide them down a small vertical pipe holder so they don't take up much space and they'll be quick to put on.

Also, heavy plate loading dumbbells are good for one hand dumbbell swings because they can be unevenly loaded.