Forums are back in action! ×

*Peeks shyly round the doorframe*

Hi everyone!  I'm Fiona, a 25 year old PhD student in Edinburgh.  I'm 5'3" and currently don't know how much I weigh (somewhere around 145lbs I think...).

Growing up I was pretty active.  I started horse riding just before I turned five, dabbled in dance (which stopped when I was ~9 and the ponies won  :biggrin-new: ) and started field hockey at 10.  At 10 I got a horse (yeah, I was a super lucky little girl!) and from then was riding 5/6 days per week.  Throughout secondary school I also played hockey 3/4 times a week in winter, with cross country running in winter and athletics in the summer (mainly 1500m, because I was one of the only people daft enough to agree to it).  Summer holidays were spent playing with ponies as much as possible.

Unfortunately throughout school my knees had been problematic, and they were getting worse.  After years of knee pain I finally got a diagnosis - turns out I have hypermobile ankles so they fall in HUGELY, making my knees out of alignment.  A couple of years off running, and some fancy new insoles got me to a point where I could do a bit of running, but they're still temperamental.

These days my focus is on aerial arts - in particular solo static trapeze.  I started in June 2013 on silks, discovered trapeze that September and ended up addicted.  I'm currently going to one solo class, one doubles class and two open training sessions a week on the trapeze, plus a flexibility class.  I've started dabbling in performance as well, and recently I feel like I've moved off a wee plateau I was on.  I really want to keep pushing and improving, so hopefully you guys can help keep me motivated!

• Like 1

Fiona - Assassin

Horses ~ Circus ~ Rats ~ Genetics

Four week challenges: 1 2 3 (Failed) 4 5

Current challenge: Here

Ok, so your first step is to move your diet from dire (which I assume is the worse of the two) completely over to poor. After that we can worry about what the step above poor is. So what are three realistic changes you can make over six weeks?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ok, so your first step is to move your diet from dire (which I assume is the worse of the two) completely over to poor. After that we can worry about what the step above poor is. So what are three realistic changes you can make over six weeks?

Well I've got one in my six week challenge already to reduce how much coke I drink.  Rather than go cold turkey (which I've tried before, and lasts a week and a half...) I'm starting with only having it when I'm at my parents' house (so max 2 evenings per week) - this can then be decreased over time.

I can start making my lunches consistently.  I try to, but often end up not getting round to it and ending up with whatever the cafeteria at work is selling.

Third, I can work on my fruit and veg consumption.  This currently swings from 0/1 per day to 5/6 per day, so I can get this more consistent - starting point is to aim for at least 2 per day.  Obviously making my own lunches will help with this since I can chuck a load of veg in that the cafeteria food won't have!

Fiona - Assassin

Horses ~ Circus ~ Rats ~ Genetics

Four week challenges: 1 2 3 (Failed) 4 5

Current challenge: Here

OOH! How did I miss this until now?

Hey! Welcome to the Rebellion!

I'm also in Edinburgh and there are quite a few of us around.

Scottish Nerds include: me, Tankweazel, CrackerWatson, Jaymul (well, he lives in Scotland but isn't Scottish but does like Scotland), MacAttack, Guzzi, iatetheyeti, SarahBarr, KingLeeroy, EmbraCraig, SomeGuyFromScotland... I'm sure I'm missing loads!

Anyway, if you ever want to meet up with Nerds nearby, let me know. Sometimes it helps to have local accountabilibuddies.

Anyway, yup, welcome!

• Like 1

Hiya! 

Hypermobility is tricky stuff. I've got it in my knees, wrists, elbows, hips, hands and it makes doing lots of simple movements very risky yet building strength is so important to protecting your joints. That is so cool you are doing aerial arts. I have seen some different performances and it really is pretty impressive stuff.  

Alethe

Gnome, Level 0 

“It was, after all, a time for heroes and all sorts of marvelous things to occur.†  -Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest