Forums are back in action! ×

Hey guys,

First off, I have to say that having all of these fitness freaks in these forums is quite intimidating, but hey, who has ever learnt a lesson from someone they weren't scared of?

What I really need help with though, is motivation. I realise what is wrong, I know exactly what is wrong, but I just cannot find the motivation. I know my goals, and I know my routines, but starting it is proving to be my real downfall.

My main goal in life, is to become a snowboarding instructor. I wish to live on a ski resort, teaching people how to board, but for that, I need to be at a certain standard of physical fitness. If anyone here can link me to a particularly effective method of motivation (and nothing like "Look in the mirror and ask yourself this...), things like real life tricks, little ways of reminding yourself to get in shape, and basically just a way of nagging yourself to do it. If anyone could do that, I would be so happy and grateful.

Thanks for any support and help, and I am glad to be a part of your community.

Lewis

Goals

Get down to 150 pounds

Start a personlised routine

10 Pullups

20 Pushups

Flat Stomach (without sucking belly in)

I find that setting specific short term goals works well. Something like "For the next 2 months, I'll go to the gym 3x a week" and then at the end of the 2 months assessing how I did and seeing how I can do better. One of my goals right now is to be able to run 5km in under 30 minutes. When I hit that goal, I'll set a new one. I find that long-term, abstract goals are less measurable so it's easier to slack off. So keep in mind your long-term goals, but use them to set specific, shorter-term, realistic goals that you can use as measures of your progress.

I think you should try something like "hmm, snowboarding quest"

Try to write each step to your dream and go on!

As soon as I'm ready to dive in, that is exactly what I'm going to do! Thanks :3

Goals

Get down to 150 pounds

Start a personlised routine

10 Pullups

20 Pushups

Flat Stomach (without sucking belly in)

Guest guest4729

Hey guys,

First off, I have to say that having all of these fitness freaks in these forums is quite intimidating, but hey, who has ever learnt a lesson from someone they weren't scared of?

What I really need help with though, is motivation. I realise what is wrong, I know exactly what is wrong, but I just cannot find the motivation. I know my goals, and I know my routines, but starting it is proving to be my real downfall.

My main goal in life, is to become a snowboarding instructor. I wish to live on a ski resort, teaching people how to board, but for that, I need to be at a certain standard of physical fitness. If anyone here can link me to a particularly effective method of motivation (and nothing like "Look in the mirror and ask yourself this...), things like real life tricks, little ways of reminding yourself to get in shape, and basically just a way of nagging yourself to do it. If anyone could do that, I would be so happy and grateful.

Thanks for any support and help, and I am glad to be a part of your community.

Lewis

Instead of seeing some people as "fitness freaks" see them as people above all else. They have feelings and emotions just like you - they're just on a different playing field. They know a lot about fitness and they're here to grown and learn just as you are. You've got to start somewhere at some time. If you don't start now, then will you ever start?

If you need motivation, you need to ask yourself questions every day. WHY do you want to lose weight? WHY do you want to be fit? WHY do you want to change your life? and so on. If you're not questioning everything, you're not doing it right. If you don't know why certain exercises are good or why some are bad, have you really learned anything? If you don't know why free weights are better than machines, do you really know why you should do one over the other? In order to grow, you need to learn, that's why this community exists.

If you're ready to challenge yourself then this is the place for you. Don't get overwhelmed by all the information - just take things step by step until you're comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask questions or give your input - you might not know everything, but you might know something that others don't. :)

Hey Lew, welcome to the nerd court. One thing I wonder is why you need motivation, or in other words, why is it so difficult to find the motivation to do the things you really want? If you really love it you should be excited every morning to do it. I can't sleep because I am so eager to get to the gym and push my limits to where it's never been before.

So I wonder, do you really want it? Do you just want it, but don't want to do the required work to get it? These are questions that we don't have the answers to. These are things you have to find out for yourself. No one is going to come onto the boards and find your motivation for you. We can't make you do something you don't want to do. It doesn't work like that.

We all travel our own respective journeys and share information to try to see whether we all have information we can use to aid us in getting where we want to go. If you're willing to work hard to achieve your own goals, you may find useful things here.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance