Forums are back in action! ×

Training philosophies or mottos

My motto's are: "I have not yet achieved my goals but I am acheiving my goal."

"I will do better today than yesterday, I will do a little better tommorow than today."

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I say something weird to myself when I feel like quitting.

"Do you have eyes?"

It makes me appreciate everything I have, I've got eyes. I can see. My brain and body work as this wonderful machine that gives me life. Having eyes is the gift that lets me look at myself, really look at myself and see what I've done with this gift. It also reminds me of what I look like and what I can't do, makes me look in the mirror and see the guy staring back that could have been training all his life but he was too priviledged and lazy. Then I realise that the only way out of the hole that I've dug for myself is through the training. And yeah it's tough, yeah I might not want to go to bed early and wake up to lift. But then I see the future. My eyes let me look at my body and my life and see the potential in them. Everything I could be is laid out in front of me like a kid's playset and all I have to do is work hard and think right to get there.

So I clench my jaw and say, 'Yeah, I've got eyes.'

"Dead at 70".

My grandfather and his brother both died in their 70s. They were both great big German guys who ate and drank a lot but didn't take care of themselves. They both weighed over 300 pounds at the end. I never met my grandfather, and barely knew my great-uncle. I'm not going that way. I want to know my grandkids.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Not exactly sure how to translate it properly.. 'resistance makes you grow' or 'you grow over resistance'..

In both senses, every obstacle you cope with makes you a better and more straightforward, more focused and more selfware person. And also in regard to resistance training it will literally make you grow.

Level 2   Human   Ranger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STR 7.7  CON 4.8  Battle Log  We are Rangers.DEX 2.0  WIS 2.9               We walk in the dark places no others will enter.STA 4.9  CHA 3.3               We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

I am kind of mean to myself. Usually when I lack motivation to go to the gym i say. "Get your fat ass up out of that chair and go lift something heavy. And don't come back to me until you do, or i swear I will hate you sooo much." Then I shake my fist in my own general direction.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

"Dead at 70".

My grandfather and his brother both died in their 70s. They were both great big German guys who ate and drank a lot but didn't take care of themselves. They both weighed over 300 pounds at the end. I never met my grandfather, and barely knew my great-uncle. I'm not going that way. I want to know my grandkids.

That really hit home... If I average the ages my father and his father died I'm already well past middle age at 36. Neither was ever "out of shape". For that matter, all but two of my 6 direct ancestors has/had some heart issue. Add to that the remaining 2 have had either cancer or alzhiemers... yeah..

Which is why I frequently state "I'm competing against genetics"