Forums are back in action! ×

BACON question

Is there a grocery store around that's knows for good meat? I live in podunk nowhere but there's a grocery store that's small, expensive, and has been there forever, but the meat center's fantastic. I got a $50 gift certificate from work and used it over two weeks to buy some meat. They have the big hunks of bacon that they have to slice off for you. It's amazing. If there's a grocery store that offers that, I'd suggest that.

Side note: I used to work in that store in the deli section and it was my job to slice meat (it was actually one of my worst jobs ever, but whatever). I got so annoyed by the picky people who'd always say "sliced thin but not shaved and between papers. And don't squish it." Ugh. Then one guy came in and wanted bacon - sliced thick. I fell immediately in love with him. I sliced off an example, a good hunk and he said that was a good size, and I finished the order. I decided right then and there that I wanted a husband who ate his bacon sliced thick and drank chocolate milk (idk where the milk comes from, but it sounded good.). btw, I ordered my bacon this week sliced medium.

Maybe it was just the little seed of inspiration for paleo for me ;)

OH! Bacon's great because it can be added to breakfast or dinner meals or dessert. Inspired from an episode of Chopped, today I sauted it with kale and apples, so it also goes with vegetables and fruit. I can totally see it in a drink, mixed in with vanilla yogurt and honey, that sort of thing. If you choose to eat it, I don't think there's any other food like it.

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Leimanu: Sorry, I completely missed your post the first time since it rolled over to the second page! That was really helpful :] I don't know what we have as far as decent meat departments since I do all my shopping at Winco. I will check it out though! Before I moved away for college, there was a little local grocery store that had a GREAT meat section. The rest of the store was dirty, filled with rude people, and it was in a bad part of town. Nonetheless, good place for meat. I'll definitely look around!

I think I like thick bacon... I dunno xD I haven't had real bacon is SO long. Can you get a good crisp on thick bacon? It sounds like it'd be the best in a BLT... Oh wait, that's not Paleo haha. Well, maybe I'll just eat bacon and tomato wrapped in lettuce. BOOYAH creative thinkin'.

AND I LOVE CHOPPED :D That show is fabulous. I haven't ever cooked with apple, but I love chicken apple sausage, so that actually sounds really good.

Proud to say my first meal of 2012 was....BACON!

Very occasionaly I get a butcher friend of mine to do me some custom cut: an entire pigs belly cured then cut lengthways. The result is incredible thick cut bacon that's about 18-20 inches long!

Here's what i did with it:

hoozch.jpg

bnwuy.jpg

lfrf.jpg

4oxjf.jpg

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

English bacon is back bacon with more fat around the edge. As a bit of an old-school traditional food-ist, I used to swear blind by back bacon too, and to hell with that stupid American streaky crap - until I tried some proper thick cut dry cure streaky bacon.

There really is no taste contest - streaky bacon wins every time.

English bacon is back bacon with more fat around the edge. As a bit of an old-school traditional food-ist, I used to swear blind by back bacon too, and to hell with that stupid American streaky crap - until I tried some proper thick cut dry cure streaky bacon.

There really is no taste contest - streaky bacon wins every time.

Never! I have tried many upon many different varities. My favourite is probably Danish thick cut back bacon. Mmmmm.

I dont like crispy bacon, i like mine juicy and meaty.

Mmm I had a bacon and cheese Omelette today.

Viva la Bacon!

Oz.