Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm new here.

Hello all. My name is Aaron, and I'm from Youngstown, OH. I rarely post on forums, I mostly just lurk, but I figure this would be the one to actually participate in.

I am just starting to get my fitness in order after losing around 100 pounds and then gaining about 70 back after switching jobs a few years ago. I'm a delivery driver now, so I spend a lot of time in a van doing nothing. There also aren't many options on my particular rout that would constitute healthy eating, so I started constantly eating garbage out of convenience/lazyness. Lately I've found myself getting progressively more angry when I look in the mirror, and I've been feeling like crap more often then ever.

I knew it was time to do something, and ended up finding NF by total accident. I started to read and was interested in the concepts presented because I'm all for challenging/defying conventional wisdom (call me contrarian if you must, but I don't like being one of the "herd") and I happen to be a bit of nerd myself. I've attempted to get in shape a few times before, but I never really gave much thought to the fact that diet was such a large part of success, and only made marginal improvements in that area. I also have a habit of getting way too eager, and I end up injured or burnt out from pushing myself too hard too soon (I've done this 5-7 times). I joined the academy and have been reading through the material, and slowly implementing it. I think slow has to be a key word this time.

I was going to join a the six week challenge, but its already the third week, so I'll do it when it starts a new cycle.  As far as goals , I've made a few small ones to start out with:

Lose 15 lbs.

Stop drinking soda, juice, milk (Tried this out for a work week and actually found it pretty easy)

Add at least one vegetable to every meal

Strength train 3 times a week (this has been going well thus far, I do body weight exercises Sun. Tue. Thu.Today will be day six. I'm not doing a lot, but I'm trying to go really slow this time)

Start walking 5 times a week

I think Assassin is going to be my class of choice. I've always found body weight exercise more enjoyable than lifting weights (although I will if I have access to them), and I find gymnasts and contestants on Ninja Warrior to be more in line with what, in my mind, is peek athleticism more so than power lifters or distance runners. I like the idea of training to be being in complete control of my body. I also have an interest in Parkour and rock climbing. I've never tried either though, because I felt I'd just end up hurting myself because of extra weight, lack of coordination, poor balance and such. (also, I'm told I'm far too sneaky, but I never actually try to be. So there is a trait an actual assassin would need.)

I also have an interest in martial arts ever since I was five or six. I never really had the opportunity to train consistently until no. After some searching around and experimenting, I've started training in Jeet Kune Do. My instructor has done some cage fighting in the past, and regularly spars (and can more than hold his own) at one the the better MMA gyms in the area (they win most of their fights, even when going to bit city's like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh etc.), so I know I'm actually getting my moneys worth. I have to fix my car before I can start going class again though. I've found that I'm actually surrounded by quite a few talented fighters. 

That was long and probably kind of ramble-y, so yeah, just wanted to say hi.

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion. I've rebounded a time or two myself, I know how much it stinks. You have a great set of initial goals and are starting out right. Lurk away on the challenges, especially the recruit section (where we recommend all first timers do their initial challenge) and the assassins.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath