Forums are back in action! ×

Getting started at NF

Hey everyone,

My name is Mike, I'm 27 and I've been working for the past 10 months on decreasing my weight and attempting to increase my strength. I like hiking, biking (road and mountain), running (kinda) and strength training.

Since February, I have been watching what I eat (counting calories) fairly religiously and had good success with dropping weight. To date, I have dropped 95 lbs this way. Within the last few months I have gone from a more cardio based exercise regiment to a strength training one. I have seen some fairly impressive gains, for me, in the size and definition of my musculature. Most of the muscle gains have been through trial and error and I am looking for a more structured approach.

I, today, actually purchased the Rebel Strength Guide and am looking for advice from people who have delved into it as well as people who are starting their journey. I also plan on going Paleo. I eat pretty clean as is, for me, but cutting out the non fruit/veggie carbs is something that I struggle the most with.

Hope to learn some things, gain some muscle, and drop this body fat %.

As an FYI, going from 290 to sub 200 in 10 months left me with some extra skin in areas that isn't sexy but I'd rather put up with that than to be hopped up on prescription drugs for one ailment or another. I am definitely healthier now than I was and I plan on continuing my journey.

Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats and welcome. You've already conquered the biggest issues...you are eating better and exercising regularly. + and +

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Love your avatar... welcome to the nerd wheelhouse...

Ryan Gosling took the words right out of my mouth...

Also-awesome job so far!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will have to check out that 30 day Paleo challenge. I actually was going to start on the 7th which coincides with my pay date! Gotta have some cash to get my foods!

Right now, for me, is an intro to Paleo to see what I do and don't like and what is feasible for me to keep up. I want to be successful!

My avatar...oh where to start. Basically I am a fun loving guy who likes to be silly. Most of the pictures that I take never have a straight face. I believe some of the only pics that I have when I have a "normal" face are my wedding photos or random no expression photos!