Forums are back in action! ×

Resolution: Work out *every* *single* *day* in 2012

OK, y'all, I read this post on the 11 Points blog and was instantly sold on the idea of working out every single day in 2012. (If you think I'm crazy; read it. It may reel you in too.)

This passage in particular is what convinced me:

"But I always did it by reminding myself it’s ridiculous to say I can’t cram a half hour in every day to prioritize my health. I always find a way to eat every day, to go online, to dick around on my phone — I forced myself to make exercise an equally important staple of daily life."

That’s just plain true. Committing to this resolution feels like a good call for so many reasons for me–to eliminate the dreaded one-day-off-leading-to-two-to-forever problem, to keep my health a priority, to give me extra motivation for eating healthy and making other good decisions throughout the day, to daily do something that is guaranteed to put me in a good mood, and to just generally impress the hell out of everyone (most importantly myself).

I was really looking for a challenge this year. I’ve already quit smoking, stopped over-drinking, and gotten down to a healthy weight. I needed something concrete and difficult to keep me interested in continuing the upward trend.

Taking the 11 Points guy’s advice, I’m going to start by laying the same ground rules:

-A “workout” is a bare minimum of 20 minutes of intentional, intense exercise.

-A “day” is the period of time occurring between waking up and going to sleep.

I am aware of the importance of rest for building muscle and endurance, though, so I will add that:

-When a break is needed (at least once a week), a mild, 20-minute walk will suffice for the day’s exercise.

I’ve got all the equipment I’ll need to ensure success. A gym membership, home workout options, a dedication that borders on the maniacal, and even an iPhone app called Streaks that will let me cross each day off the calendar and make notes about how I’m doing. I will prevail!

One last thing: To keep it interesting and get creative, I will take a picture at each of my 365 workout sessions. Not sure if the pic will be of me or of my setting–I figure the project will become more clear as it evolves. Either way, at the end of the year, I’ll have a book made for myself with all of the pictures in it.

Anybody with me on this?

The rain on my chest is a baptism. I am born again.

-A “day” is the period of time occurring between waking up and going to sleep.

This is totally awesome - I look forward to seeing your pictures. I'd revise your definition of a day though, because naps rule.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

damnit.

Coming from someone who works out twice a day most days, and 7 days a week most weeks - sometimes your body needs a full day off.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

To take in everyone else's good advice, maybe you could make a rule that skipping a day constitutes two workouts another day that week (a morning walk and an afternoon weight routine?). Would something like that work for you?

Wouldn't that defeat one of the main points from the article of this not allowing you to procrastinate?

Guest Snake McClain

I have to agree with the idea that your body and mind need time to rest. Sometimes too much is just too much. Even professional atheletes do not attack it every day forever always no matter what.

Although a great goal to aim for definitely.

Wouldn't that defeat one of the main points from the article of this not allowing you to procrastinate?

I don't think so. The point of having a back-up plan is for unforeseen circumstances. Like ETF pointed out, things can come up that put working out on the back burner. Having a Plan B allows you to stay on a predefined track without making unnecessary sacrifices in your life. The idea isn't, "Oh, I have a slight headache, I'll do two workouts tomorrow." It's not supposed to allow you to use the "too busy" excuse. This is a great resolution, and there's a decent chance that lostintranslatn will achieve it just fine. But emergencies happen.

So, no. It doesn't defeat the purpose. There's a HUGE difference between procrastination and necessity. I believe a big part of realistically achieving fitness goals is realizing the difference.

A good resolution isn't just a statement. A good resolution is a plan! A big goal is a great place to start, but I would want to think through some possible pitfalls so I could prepare for them ahead of time and not freak out when, at some time during the next 365 days, something goes wrong.

Of course, this is going to be different for everyone. It depends on how hard you work out, life's other obligations, etc. I can't call myself a fitness guru, but some of the other people on this forum are seriously kick ass! It kind of defeats the purpose of this forum to just ignore advice from "fitness veterans."

lostintranslatn, I'm not saying you have to take anyone's advice. I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound preachy! But at least think through the difficulties to come--if you haven't already. Everyone offering differing viewpoints is doing... Well, just that. Offering different viewpoints!

No matter what you choose to do, everyone here is gonna support you!! That's mostly what we're here for :]

I like the idea and as it happens my workout plan for the new year is going to be 7 days a week with a double workout on Sundays. As far as rest days go, yes they are important, but it would seem your goal is to be active everyday (rather than a full-on workout) so I can't see overtraining being a problem (although the occasional day off every few weeks might be a good idea, just see how your body feels)

There is a difference but what is a necessity is usually alot less then what most(american) people think it is. Preparing for the failure seems to be setting yourself up for it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." or something like that. But I think that's a sort of matter of personality/perspective. If I start planning for (scary but unlikely) failure scenarios I get bogged down in the many ways something can go wrong and don't give the initial effort its all.

everyone's so hardcore up in here... cool...

Hm.. Reminds of someone I know.. (*coughI'mtalkingaboutyoucoughcough*) Haha, I love the discussions people get into here.

There is a difference but what is a necessity is usually alot less then what most(american) people think it is. Preparing for the failure seems to be setting yourself up for it.

"Do or do not, there is no try." or something like that. But I think that's a sort of matter of personality/perspective. If I start planning for (scary but unlikely) failure scenarios I get bogged down in the many ways something can go wrong and don't give the initial effort its all.

Yes, that's why I pointed out that it's going to be different for everyone. It's not really fair to say that most people don't know what necessity is, because it varies from individual to individual. What you consider necessity might be a lot more than what I consider necessity; or a lot less. Nonetheless, you're point is well taken. The difference in perspective is why we all come to these forums for advice. Personally, planning for "failures"--I prefer "setbacks"--doesn't bog me down. Having a plan means that when/if something does come up, I can't use it as an excuse to let my entire goal fall to pieces.

I like the idea and as it happens my workout plan for the new year is going to be 7 days a week with a double workout on Sundays. As far as rest days go, yes they are important, but it would seem your goal is to be active everyday (rather than a full-on workout) so I can't see overtraining being a problem (although the occasional day off every few weeks might be a good idea, just see how your body feels)

This is a really good point too! I can think of very, very few excuses not to be active everyday! (Hint: one of them is being in a coma.)

I can think of very, very few excuses not to be active everyday! (Hint: one of them is being in a coma.)

This is my current philosophy. My goal is to do -something- every day that gets me off the couch. Maybe it's a walk, or a run, or a workout, or a hike, or any number of things. Basically, it just has to be something outside of what I'm doing anyways that day (eg. walking across campus doesn't count) that's some sort of physical activity.

Thanks for all the responses! Maybe I wasn't clear enough about my plan for the easy days...I'm talking about a REALLY mild walk to the park and back being the "workout" once a week or after heavy lifting. (I'm also not talking about doing two workouts in a day.) I don't think there should ever be a time when a girl can't walk at a leisurely pace with her dog for 20 minutes.

Also, obviously, if some kind of emergency comes up, the streak will have to end, but I think that's a given with most resolutions. I'm not going to worry about flossing if the power goes out in the middle of my tour of Jurassic Park, either (though I would definitely get my workout in, in that scenario). Barring exigencies, I'm not going to plan for missed workouts. I'm just not going to consider that an option.

For those of you interested in joining me: The more the merrier! 2012 won't know what hit it!

Why not just create an exercise rota? Exercise different parts of your body on different days? Just make a good little week planner like the one Steve put in his Rebel Workout books! I'm tempted to go along with you on this idea for the most part actually.

While your shoulders are having a rest, work on your thighs or something, should make it a bit more bearable if you intend on going the whole 9 yard with this.

Goals

Get down to 150 pounds

Start a personlised routine

10 Pullups

20 Pushups

Flat Stomach (without sucking belly in)

I like it! After looking back I have been working out every day (almost) since last June. running stairs, walking and light jogging, stretching, breathing exercises on my days not lifting. But looking even further back as children we worked out (Exercised) each and every day. We ran on the playground at school during recess. We ran, lifted weights and played sports in gym class. After school we ran track, played football, baseball, basketball, wrestled. In the summer we rode our bikes everywhere or ran everywhere we went. My 7 yr old son runs literally everywhere he goes in the house. It's no wonder I was lean and muscular in High school. We were literally exercising our bodies every day. It is something that as adults we tend to forget about when we aren't really paying attention to fitness and health.

So why not us? I think your rules are great and barring certain extreme circumstances or illness I think you can pull it off. It does take a little work to get off your butt and make it an effective effort but that's the point. Rock ON!

I like it! After looking back I have been working out every day (almost) since last June. running stairs, walking and light jogging, stretching, breathing exercises on my days not lifting. But looking even further back as children we worked out (Exercised) each and every day. We ran on the playground at school during recess. We ran, lifted weights and played sports in gym class. After school we ran track, played football, baseball, basketball, wrestled. In the summer we rode our bikes everywhere or ran everywhere we went. My 7 yr old son runs literally everywhere he goes in the house. It's no wonder I was lean and muscular in High school. We were literally exercising our bodies every day. It is something that as adults we tend to forget about when we aren't really paying attention to fitness and health.

So why not us? I think your rules are great and barring certain extreme circumstances or illness I think you can pull it off. It does take a little work to get off your butt and make it an effective effort but that's the point. Rock ON!

Yes! Exactly my motivation for making this happen. I think once you become interested in fitness as an adult it naturally happens that you're more active (I used to spend my breaks from a desk job sitting. Now I find myself shooting hoops or jumping on the trampoline or taking a walk to the park for a picnic), but it helps to also make a conscious, concerted effort to prioritize fitness on a daily basis. And to make it fun, like we did as kids!