Forums are back in action! ×

Has feet, will travel 2012 edition

Alright rebels one of my main life goals for 2012 is to travel more. Why? Because I haven't traveled much except for the occasional work trip. And thanks to my company's generous roll over vacation time policy I start the new year with 31 days of vacation already saved up (not including what I'll earn as the the year goes on). Yeah, I don't vacay a lot.

Anyways, I need a few good ideas on where to go and what to do. I already have plans for a Boston/New England trip at the end of May since my brother is getting married and apparently I am in invited (who knew :D ).

So, where should I go before the world ends?

Ideas Currently considering:

Hiking in a National Park (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, or out in Utah)

New Zealand - Because Steve's adventures looked awesome

Alaskan Wilderness

Some tropical island of somesort.

Cross the Bosphorus from Istanbul

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Always somewhere tropical. I went to Hawaii on my honeymoon and its going to be a pain for my wife to convince me to vacation anywhere that I can't snorkel in the future.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

For national parks--I spent a week in Glacier in Montana last August. Absolutely the best week of my life--camping, hiking, etc.

Also I agree with Corey on Hawaii--so beautiful! Europe is great too because there's so much culture and it's amazing to see and be immersed in. And of course, you can't beat Boston (but I'm biased since I've lived here my whole life)!

Anyways, I need a few good ideas on where to go and what to do. I already have plans for a Boston/New England trip at the end of May since my brother is getting married and apparently I am in invited (who knew :D ).

you best be planning on making time for a boston meetup.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
well hopefully its not too late in may, because i may be moving then.

Oh come on. MY brother's wedding is May 26. So it'll be probably be the weekend before, you know give me some time to putz around the state.

Edit: With a little help from AD

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

if you go to greylock, you'll be in my neck of the woods. let me know if you need any guidance or if you'd like to meet up. happy to help!

also, i highly recommend new zealand. i can't say that enough. AND...if you want to do something tropical as well, many airlines that travel between north america and aus/nz have free layovers in fiji. i did this, and even with the free layover (i took 3 days) the price was the same or lower than nonstop itineraries. let me know if you go this route and i can provide some suggestions.

Guest guest4729

Perhaps central Europe? They have great train systems and you can visit several countries over the course of a few days. Hell, even if you rented a car you could do this. I believe it only takes like 5 hours to drive from the top to bottom of Germany as I was told years ago. You could hit up Germany, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Poland and so on. :)

Plus hostels are pretty cheap and not bad accommodations. You should give them a go!

Perhaps central Europe? They have great train systems and you can visit several countries over the course of a few days. Hell, even if you rented a car you could do this. I believe it only takes like 5 hours to drive from the top to bottom of Germany as I was told years ago. You could hit up Germany, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Poland and so on. :)

Plus hostels are pretty cheap and not bad accommodations. You should give them a go!

I would not suggest driving around Europe for a lot of reasons, especially if you'd be visiting during any type of holiday period. The roads are just a nightmare in general, construction, too many cars/trucks, etc. Not to mention the parking issues inside the cities. I do a lot of driving around Europe for business and I would not recommend it, takes absolutely forever and generally unenjoyable. Although I will say, the unlimited speed autobahns right near where I live are pretty excellent. I've tested the top speeds on all of my cars. :)

Europe's great and all, but I think there are some cool other places to go, but then again I'm not really a typical "see the sights" tourist, I want to do shit, like adventure stuff. I'm planning to do a lot of travel personally over the next few years and right now Central Asia is on the top of my list, mainly Bhutan and Nepal. I'm also hoping to go to South America and do some trekking/climbing. And then to Africa, was thinking Kenya.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

Yeah I agree about the driving thing. I'm not a fan of driving in other countries, too much stress. Hell I got road rage driving in Boston last time I was up there (I still believe Boston is the worst city to drive in. Crazy people)

@scarlet, I am a bit of both. I like the touristy stuff a lot. I learned that on my trip to Spain, the museums, the churches, the architecture, are all so different and very awesome to my eyes. The one bad thing about Dallas is the lack of historical culture so I am a fan of going to see old things. It puts things into perspective.

That being said, I would love to take a 2 week hiking trip at some point. Maybe go live in the outback of Australia, or become a sheep herder in New Zealand for a bit.

Yeah I agree about the driving thing. I'm not a fan of driving in other countries, too much stress. Hell I got road rage driving in Boston last time I was up there (I still believe Boston is the worst city to drive in. Crazy people)

@scarlet, I am a bit of both. I like the touristy stuff a lot. I learned that on my trip to Spain, the museums, the churches, the architecture, are all so different and very awesome to my eyes. The one bad thing about Dallas is the lack of historical culture so I am a fan of going to see old things. It puts things into perspective.

That being said, I would love to take a 2 week hiking trip at some point. Maybe go live in the outback of Australia, or become a sheep herder in New Zealand for a bit.

Yeah I guess I see Europe with a different lens at this point. Feel like I've seen it all before, so I want to get out of Europe and see other things. I'm particularly interested in Asian things, India especially.

I'm very seriously considering just up and leaving and doing something crazy, like going to work on a farm in South America, trekking and doing yoga in the Himalayas, living in a remote village in the arctic circle, etc etc. And I'm totally with you on Australia and New Zealand, those are awesome ideas. I think I'll add those to my list. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

Should totally become a ranch hand in the Pampas of Argentina. Nothing like raising grass fed beef in a beautiful country.

You have no idea how tempted I am to just quit my job and leave on the first flight tomorrow. Seriously though. Know anyone there? Haha

So I got bored and started planning out my New England vacation for May. Tentatively I'll fly in to Boston on the 17th and fly out on the 29th. I have to be in Dartmouth on the 24th for wedding stuff, so that leaves the rest of the time to travel. Here is my plan so far, although I have no idea how feasible it is to do. Total so far is 1400 miles. I have some friends in Baltimore so I am trying to make it down there to see them.

Total possible NF Meetups: 2 - One in Boston, One in Philly. :D

BigM's New England Adventure

You're coming up here and just gonna go right around NYC? I mean, I'm over it and all, but I've been there a bunch of times. You should go at least once.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You're coming up here and just gonna go right around NYC? I mean, I'm over it and all, but I've been there a bunch of times. You should go at least once.

Meh, debating about that one. See I lived in CT when I was younger for 5 years and have done the NYC thing several times (Broadway show, NYE at Times Square, etc, etc). I'll look into squeezing in a day if time permits. Although if nightlight wants to organize an NYC NF meetup I can always swing by. :D

In that case skip it, you've seen the pretty lights. It does have a whole new appeal to me now though that I can actually afford to go to the 5 star restaurants every once in awhile, and NYC has tons of em.

500 / 330 / 625

In that case skip it, you've seen the pretty lights. It does have a whole new appeal to me now though that I can actually afford to go to the 5 star restaurants every once in awhile, and NYC has tons of em.

True, I've always wondered about those restaurants I see on the Travel Channel. I mean I can probably afford better than street vendor hot dogs this time around :)

I also just realized that Steve is currently in DC. Well at least for now. And there are other rebels out that way too. May hap add a DC meetup into the mix.

Yep, DC, Baltimore, and Philly are all within 3 hours of each other, could do one for all of them, I'd probably travel a few hours. If you want to include the Pennsyltuckians you might want to centralize it in Philly since they have a bit to drive.

500 / 330 / 625