Forums are back in action! ×

What major would you choose?

Hey! I'm just about finished my computer engineering degree, here are my thoughts on it:

I was really shy and quiet when I first started my degree, but it both forced me out of my comfort zone and found me like-minded introvert friends at the same time. I had to take charge and become the reliable and independent person I wanted to be when I first got here, but the industry is run by introverted nerds so they totally get when you'd rather go home after work.

As for saturated, maybe, not in Canada at least. You're more likely to get a job just coming out over a fresh comp sci. student because you're taught under engineering standards and you will have made several professional level projects by the time you're done. Computer engineering is a mixture of software dev, hardware dev, and signal processing, so there's so many ways you can go with it. If you do go into it, make sure there's a good co-op program involved. The co-op program helped me figured out what I'm interested in working with, what want in a job, and most importantly what I don't want in a job. It also helped me network so I've got a good web of contacts coming out of university.

It's not a fitness related career though, 9 times out of 10, you're going to get a desk job (though depending on if you join a big company there may be a gym in the building). And it's a lot of hard work to get to the end, any engineering major is going to be. I've cried from stress so many times, but I don't regret my choice. 

Math will open a lot of doors, as will any kind of security focus.

At this point I'm more interested in math than security/cryptography (which, I know is also a field of math :P ) so for now, I'll be headded in the math direction. I'd like to take a few extra math classes so that I can cover discrete math and higher leve statistics, but we'll see what I have time for.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself