Forums are back in action! ×

Post Workout Snacks and Deadlifts (two separate questions)

One

I've been doing my simple strength circuit after dinner. Because of it, I don't really "refuel" after a workout. Should I be eating some kind of protein afterwards? This workout tires me out, but it's very simple (a tweaked version of the NF Beginnger Body Weight routine). What do you all think?

Two

Someone talk to me about barbell deadlifts. They're a thing. People do them. Strong people. I can find plenty of videos on form and whatnot, so don't talk to me about that too much. But talk to me about the benefits of them. Are tehy for bragging rights? What muscles to they work? How much do people (women) lift? EDUCATE ME.

One: It's always good to consume some protein for muscle building/repair after a workout.

Two: I barbell deadlift and I loves it. Spezzy is kind of the deadlift queen around here though, and bumped her max to 350lbs just a few weeks ago.

I started at 65lbs. I did 135lbs the other night, and switched to a sumo stance as well. (sets of 5)

Deadlifts are one of the most full body exercises you can do. Legs, Butt, Back, etc are all worked with it. Not to mention, they're just awesome. :)

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

Re: Deadlifts.... I'm kind of new at this, but I have to say that (1) they're sort of addictive and (2) they seem pretty practical to me. I started the StrongLifts program a few weeks ago, and Mehdi starts everyone at 90lb deadlifts. I decided what the hell, and did them! I'm up to 120 and on target to move to 130lbs the next time I do my deadlifts. As for practicality, I think the form makes using your legs and back to pick heavy things up off the ground second nature, like heavy coolers that need to get into the trunk of your car.

Old Battle Log

right, sashi - deadlifts are pretty much the most functional movement in the entire world.

chammy - you forgot abs. whenever anyone asks me how i get my abs, i reply with deadlifts, because it's true :D

now, alexgator:

for your refueling, i'd do a protein shake. doesn't really matter how simple the workout is as long as you're progressing with it and it pushes you hard.

for deadlifts - yes, everyone should do them. everyone.

here's a good video resource:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Deadlift_Videos

If you're going to start doing deadlifts, I'd also start doing squats and bench press and (overhead) presses as well.

for the "how much do people (women) lift?"

well, it depends on the woman :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Two

Someone talk to me about barbell deadlifts. They're a thing. People do them. Strong people. I can find plenty of videos on form and whatnot, so don't talk to me about that too much. But talk to me about the benefits of them. Are tehy for bragging rights? What muscles to they work?

The main muscle groups worked are your everything. Also, your soul.

They're really good.

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Haha, wow. Well, with that kind of response, how could I not give them a go?

Spezzy, I'll definitely start squats and presses (both) too. I'm intimidated, of course, but it's not like I have anything to lose! Except body fat. Woo.

Regarding protein shakes, would just a good portion of protein work too? And maybe a sweet potato or something? I'm working on a Paleo lifestyle right now, so that's why I'm asking.

Haha, wow. Well, with that kind of response, how could I not give them a go?

Spezzy, I'll definitely start squats and presses (both) too. I'm intimidated, of course, but it's not like I have anything to lose! Except body fat. Woo.

Regarding protein shakes, would just a good portion of protein work too? And maybe a sweet potato or something? I'm working on a Paleo lifestyle right now, so that's why I'm asking.

Unless you're trying to gain I wouldn't add in a sweet potato. Just a protein shake would do - I'd do just a ~100calorie 24g of protein one.

But remember if you're trying to lose, I'd eat less earlier in the day to make up for those calories.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Unless you're trying to gain I wouldn't add in a sweet potato. Just a protein shake would do - I'd do just a ~100calorie 24g of protein one.

But remember if you're trying to lose, I'd eat less earlier in the day to make up for those calories.

Agreed on the shakes. Sometimes I'm literally too tired to chew after a hard workout.

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

I'm going to take a different tack on this question. One of the road blocks to success is program hopping; if you're jumping from one program to another you never have a chance to get good at anything. Deadlifts might be awesome, but they're not as awesome as getting good at bodyweight will be. Give your circuit a chance, build some base fitness, learn how your body works before you start doing something different.

On the other hand, if you're still experimenting and trying to figure out what you like, then definitely try them.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Though it isn't Paleo, plain 'ol Chocolate Milk is about as good of a post-workout refueling as there is. As noted you have to account for the calories, but the protein gets into you blood very fast (due to type and the fact that it is liquid), and the carbs cause an insulin response that sucks the protein into your muscles (hence the reason Chocolate milk, and not regular milk). For me personally the results were pretty dramatic when it comes to recovery, both after running and lifting, when I added it to my routine. However I also am on a fairly steep calorie deficit, and as the timing of things go, by the time I'm done working out I'm totally out of fuel.

(as a sidenote, most protein shakes are made from whey or casein protein, both of which are dairy products derived from cows milk)

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I drink a glass of 1% milk with a scoop of whey protein. It comes out to about 340 calories and, 28 grams of carbs and 41 grams of protein, everything the body needs after a workout to rebuild and refuel. I'll only be drinking this after lifting workouts now that I'm shifting my focus toward weight loss a bit more.

edit: For deadlifts, do em up! I'm going to start doing more of them rather than just the 1 set I currently do since I want to work my back out as it seems to be the weak link in my squats. Do squats as well, they're the only thing I would recommend more than the deadlift as the work the posterior chain (butt and hamstrings) more than the deadlift.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks for the input everyone. Dairy and gluten are both no-no's for me. I'm moderately lactose intolerant and there's a decent chance I have some severity of gluten intolerance as well. I need to keep both out of my diet for a while. I'm going to try to workout right before dinner, so that meal will replenish me. If that doesn't work out for me, I'll try to find a dairy- and gluten-free protein shake.

On the deadlift note, they start Tuesday >] I'm going to try out SL5x5.

One of the road blocks to success is program hopping; if you're jumping from one program to another you never have a chance to get good at anything.

I really appreciate your differing point of view; that's a really good point. With my attention span, it was appropriate too haha. But, I started body weight stuff just to get myself active after months of doing nothing. I'm really looking to become some kind of badass heavy lifting chick. I'm hoping SL5x5 will get me some good results.