Forums are back in action! ×

How to make a white man jump?

Vertical Jump Bible...

Agreed. It focuses on raw leg and body strength through squats and deadlifts and adds plyos. It has several different tracks for if you need to develop strength, explosiveness or if you're a noob or already advanced. Pretty solid program. I own it but didn't go through the ringer with it so I can't give a personal account of effectiveness.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Wow guys...thanks for all the responses. This is awesome. Going to work on all of this. Looks like explosive exercises, olympic lifts (kind of one in the same), losing some weight, practicing jumping and plyometrics will get me there. As of right now I can almsot get the rim on a running jump. I can get just below the rim on a couple steps into a 2 foot takeoff. So, this is going to be a daunting task but I am up for it. I will make sure to post a video if I make it there. This is going to be fun. I may look into the vertical jump bible, but I can't justify a purchase right now (sticking to a budget is another goal of mine this year).

My biggest hurdle is going to be the lack of a power rack at my gym. Squats are going to have to be handled through a bulgarian split squat. Should still work though.

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

Either way, anyone have some good plans to increase your vertical. I am already working on increasing strength in all of my compound movements (OH press, bench, squat, deadlift), but I am looking for a bit more.

Any help would be appreciated

<<< may i suggest a refreshing energy drink?

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I'm sure there's a pickup game in a town/city near you!

Oh...there definitely is. The summer league around here is about 10 minutes from my work actually. Just haven't had time the last few years with getting married, having a couple kids, etc. Plus, now that I am in my early 30s the young guys run me dead. Of course that could change if I get to where I want to be this year.

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

Oh...there definitely is. The summer league around here is about 10 minutes from my work actually. Just haven't had time the last few years with getting married, having a couple kids, etc. Plus, now that I am in my early 30s the young guys run me dead. Of course that could change if I get to where I want to be this year.

That'll do it. Though you could always be the seemingly mandatory 30s/40s guy who the young guns underestimate but then he runs them into the ground or shakes them off consistently with sharp, crisp cuts. Not that I've been on the bad side of that interaction or anything...

I am what I do.

That'll do it. Though you could always be the seemingly mandatory 30s/40s guy who the young guns underestimate but then he runs them into the ground or shakes them off consistently with sharp, crisp cuts. Not that I've been on the bad side of that interaction or anything...

I always hated that guy, always had to burn the fat kid. One ic the mqny reasons I'm looking forward to moving back to philly eventually is for PADA, a pretty big ultimate organization.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Lunges. Lots and lots of lunges. I would think box jumps would help as well.

Box jumps will help a lot, as will just doing jumps as high as you can. Jump rope ... basically, hammer that lift system, but don't do only that. Add in deadlift, presses (especially over head because that will give you a good amount of reach power) and some lateral core work (strengthening supplemental core muscles all up and down your sides ... think side planks).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I always hated that guy, always had to burn the fat kid. One ic the mqny reasons I'm looking forward to moving back to philly eventually is for PADA, a pretty big ultimate organization.

I know of PADA, someone I play with has a disc from there. Also I go to Wildwood every summer so it's hard to not see PADA discs, etc.

I am what I do.

I know of PADA, someone I play with has a disc from there. Also I go to Wildwood every summer so it's hard to not see PADA discs, etc.

Yep, I had 2-3 in the trunk of my car, but I've busted them all over the last 7 years since I've played.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hmm, this could be a real wild goal for me. Actually grabbing the rim would be.. In high school I could dunk tennis balls (I'm 6', was 185#) which I thought was good. I have large palms and short fingers, so palming the ball (even a volley ball) was beyond me.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Was able to get a hold of the Vertical Jump Bible. I am going to incorporate the plyometrics of that in with my Stronglifts routine. Looking forward to accomplishing this task

Finally got around to testing my standing still, 2 foot takeoff vertical. Right about 24 inches right now. So at 5'10" with shoes, I am right at about 9 feet. Looks like I need to almost double my vertical to get where I want to be. Will be tough, but I am ready

yeeha. I'm pretty sure Spidey had a good vertical leap too. use that as motivation perhaps?

Post us a vid when you can hit that dunk :D

Yeah...I think Spidey could probably dunk, easily. My Spider-Man avatar is for my oldest son....by far his favorite super hero