Forums are back in action! ×

Can we talk about this outdated piece of gym equipment please?

The belt massager.

In my gym, they are always being used. There is a line for the belt massagers. I am a gym n00b and know little about gym equipment, but I watch these people and have to wonder. What is the benefit? I had always assumed the belt massager was some relic from the 1950s that con-men sold to housewives under the pretense that it would slim them down if they simply used it for 10 minutes a day.

Is there a legitimate use for this machine, or have my fellow gym goers been duped by pseudoscience? What other equipment must we be weary of? *coughweightmachinescough*

I believe the theory is twofold - firstly, the vibration belt rubbing on your flesh stimulates blood flow to encourage the removal of 'toxins' (always be wary of anything promoting that most fluffy of ideas), and secondly that if you're being pulled in one direction then your body contracts muscles to keep you in one place, thereby representing some sort of exercise.

I couldn't find any evidence whatsoever that this actually works, and my summary is that you'd be better off spending your money on a good sports massage or just walking about a bit.

I believe the theory is twofold - firstly, the vibration belt rubbing on your flesh stimulates blood flow to encourage the removal of 'toxins' (always be wary of anything promoting that most fluffy of ideas), and secondly that if you're being pulled in one direction then your body contracts muscles to keep you in one place, thereby representing some sort of exercise.

I couldn't find any evidence whatsoever that this actually works, and my summary is that you'd be better off spending your money on a good sports massage or just walking about a bit.

Hmmm, very pseudosciency! I'll stick to walking about.

Okay, so what about those ones you see peddled in shopping malls (but never at a gym - well not one I've seen) the ones were you stand on and some plate vibrates at your feet. The other day on the cal-counting site I use someone burned some ridiculous number of calories (I'm talking in the thousands) in 40 minutes on one of those - that can't be right... can it?

Okay, so what about those ones you see peddled in shopping malls (but never at a gym - well not one I've seen) the ones were you stand on and some plate vibrates at your feet. The other day on the cal-counting site I use someone burned some ridiculous number of calories (I'm talking in the thousands) in 40 minutes on one of those - that can't be right... can it?

I believe you are referring to what we call a Power Plate in the UK, One of these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1383[/ATTACH]

I think the general idea is that you do exercises on it, i.e. step ups, push ups lunges and so on and so forth and the vibration causes you to use more of your stabilizing muscles than normal.

Probably not as many as if you were squatting in a squat rack with 100kg on your back, but there we go.

I have tried one, it made me feel funny, I did not use it again.

Oz.

post-3950-13567243271251_thumb.jpg

That's the one, I had no idea that you do stuff on them.. except I guess I've seen some guy in a mall doing a poor-form squat on one, he looked like he was trying to poo in a bush. I imagine it'd make you feel very funny, I have trouble walking when I get off a treadmill, let alone getting off one of those. :)

I've heard of the power plates being good for stretching.

They were right. My imagination got a verrrrrrrrry good stretch from thinking about that.

Also: WHAT ABOUT THE SHAKEWEIGHT tots effective u guyz.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest guest4729

They still have those belt massager things? I've never seen one in person but I always thought they were like...used by people 20-30 years ago to "lose weight" or something. Kinda like the shake weight mentioned above, or those ab-coaster things or all those other ridiculous things you see on TV.

They still have those belt massager things? I've never seen one in person but I always thought they were like...used by people 20-30 years ago to "lose weight" or something. Kinda like the shake weight mentioned above, or those ab-coaster things or all those other ridiculous things you see on TV.

This is exactly what I thought! Especially since I saw one on Storage Wars awhile back. Who knew they were actually still in use anywhere!

Ah the shake weight. I've given it as a prank gift many times now to people I know have seen the South Park episode. The best was when I gave it to a female friend of mine and her dad snatched it up and starting instructing us in its use.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Wow. The first thing I thought of when I saw the shake weight commercial was that somebody is going to break their face. I was guessing concusion, not broken nose though.

Actually we first tested this guy for a concussion because he stated he could not remember what happened. Turned out it was embarrassment from the accident, not a loss of memory...I felt bad for him overall...

Wow. The first thing I thought of when I saw the shake weight commercial was that somebody is going to break their face. I was guessing concusion, not broken nose though.

If that's the first thing you thought of your mind isn't in the gutter as much as 95% of the people I know.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.