Forums are back in action! ×

Ready for change in PA

So i'm 27 have a beautiful son who is about to turn two, and I still have the baby weight and the baby belly. I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on my second wedding anniversary. (pretty much two big words for degenerative arthritis) And I have let that hold me back. I believed the doctor and everyone around me who said I had to take it easy and stop doing all the things I enjoyed or wanted to do. Well I'm done being held back. There is too much life to live and I want to live it.

So my husband and I are taking the 6 week challenge to kick start our new lifestyle. My goals are to find the superhero inside of me and to show it to the world. And I really want to get into weight lifting. I did some in high school, I was on the volleyball team and had a coach that wanted to win at any costs. Oddly enough I discovered that I loved lifting weights. Now I just need to learn how to do free weights correctly and that's where NF has come in. I was searching for weight lifting and women, and I came across the story of Staci/Spezzy and I was inspired. I was like hell yeah that is what I want to do. So here I am ready to begin my journey.

welcome to the community! my boyfriend also has some joint issues so we have paid for a few training sessions at our gym in order for him to learn how to lift weights correctly given his physical limitations. it's been really helpful already so if you have the means to do that, i'd highly recommend it (helpful hint: sign up with your hubby or a friend - they'll give you a better deal if they get two people signed up). other than that, just find something (or multiple things) you enjoy doing - every little bit helps and focus on the actions (eating right, working out, sleeping enough) rather than the outcomes (losing weight). glad you're here!

Guest guest4729

Ohayyyy! Someone else from PA! You're the second one today!

You're also super close to me. Perhaps an hour drive at the most. :D

Anyways, welcome to the forum! I hope to see you participate, ask questions and learn lots while on here! Best of luck with your goals!

You'll find all kinds of people around here that will inspire and help you with your goals. If you want to get into lifting, I'd say jump into *starting strength of stronglifts 5x5, but if you want to go a little slower, my wife is really enjoying "New Rules of Lifting for Women" which has a more introductory weight lifting program than those.

As far as your diagnoses, I'd say jump in and get fit. Who knows, maybe building muscle and getting in great shape will help with symptoms? I don't know about your specific case, but I know that those things help with many disorders.

*starting strength OR stronglifts 5x5

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf