Forums are back in action! ×

Where To Start On Weight Lifting?

I just read this article (http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/) and I was really inspired. However, I can't seem to find details on her work outs (maybe buried in comments?..)

I've always been told that I should work out at least 3 times a week, each day focusing on different groups of muscles. But if I'm reading the above article correctly, she focused exclusively on bench press, overhead press, and dead lift.

So if I wanted to create a work out plan similar to hers, where would I start? Would I do only those 3 exercises all 3 days of the week? How would I determine what's the correct weight? For example, right now I can do 15 reps of bench press at 30 pounds. How many reps should I be doing instead, and at what weight? Should I stop doing other free weight exercises all together?

Thank you!

"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." -Mark Twain

I read that article tonight too and got totally fired up! ...but also have no idea how to start. I've been strictly a runner for all of college and I'd really like to get stronger (and yes, okay, more toned). Have been messing around with free weights but I am pretty clueless.

Just wanted to echo your questions! Anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Guest guest4729

Dedicating certain days to certain muscle groups is pointless. The reason people like Staci(spezzy on here) and other people do dead lifts, squats, overhead presses and the like are because they work ALL of your muscles. However please DO NOT jump into these things if you don't: (A) Know proper form (B) Have someone spotting you if you're completely new to it and © Know at all what you're doing in the weight room/section. These kinds of things can seriously injure you if you're doing them improperly or if you're trying to use weights WAY too high for you.

I am no weight lifting pro, but I know that you need to understand how and why to do certain things before jumping in. Make sure you drink plenty of water, do some stretches and work on your form.

I suggest you try and do 5 sets of 5 - if you can't complete it, don't fret. Don't do something that will cause injury to any part of you. That'll just set you back and that's not something you want. With the weight - do what FEELS right. We can't tell you which weights to use, just don't use the little dinky ones that are 5lbs and then do a million reps. It's pointless. As for doing JUST those three. It isn't really necessary - do the things that you find you like, just try to stay away from machines and whatnot. Do as much as you can on things that aren't a machine.

Otherwise, happy lifting! :D

I just read this article (http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/) and I was really inspired. However, I can't seem to find details on her work outs (maybe buried in comments?..)

I've always been told that I should work out at least 3 times a week, each day focusing on different groups of muscles. But if I'm reading the above article correctly, she focused exclusively on bench press, overhead press, and dead lift.

So if I wanted to create a work out plan similar to hers, where would I start? Would I do only those 3 exercises all 3 days of the week? How would I determine what's the correct weight? For example, right now I can do 15 reps of bench press at 30 pounds. How many reps should I be doing instead, and at what weight? Should I stop doing other free weight exercises all together?

Thank you!

They're in challenge threads, and in the blogs.

I don't have a routine though, so they wouldnt be very helpful :)

i hate lifting anything more than 5 times unless its at crossfit.

sets of 3-5 work well. heavy. there's no specific weight thats right for everyone, but you should be able to do all reps with good form (but the last one should be difficult)

if the movement isnt functional, i don't do it.

Main lifts I worked:

squat - back front overhead and air

deadlift

bench press

overhead press

powerclean

pullups/chinups

dips

Secondary lifts (and things):

barbell rows

farmers walk

waiters walk

romanian deadlift (usually single leg)

wall climbs

back extensions

pushups

kettlebell swings

Also, Yoga

For what things what day - If I was to make a program I'm partial to push pull programs. Usually squats with push and deads with pull.

I hate leg days, I much prefer being able to do a set of say, bench press, and then doing a set of squats while my upper body rests.

I never followed a specific program though. I did a lot of research and made my own up. If you're only going 3x a week I'd try to squat twice, deadlift once. Bench one day/pushups and dips another... deadlift and powerclean and overhead and pullups.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Guest Snake McClain

although spezzy just chimed in with what she did (and what a list it is)...as others have mentioned Starting Strength and Strong Lift are the ways to go. I actually started with the Rebel Strength Guide (the nerd fitness ebook) and then switched to Strong Lifts. To a degree it is about finding what works for YOU but there seem to be some very obvious choices across the board with any work out that matters.

Squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, dead lifts. and i do pull ups and push ups. and a crap ton of hindu squats, every time I work out. But that is just me. THe lifts i do on an every other day cycle as strong lifts prescribes. the body weight stuff i do every day as i have to for wrestling. Power cleans as I understand (never done them though) are somewhat advanced so you may want to stay off those for a bit. but then that's just what i hear.

Beginners (an intermediate for that matter) shouldn't focus on different groups of muscles. Heck even advanced long time lifters don't need to. The only groups that really do need to are the chemically enhanced lifters and those that are willing to dedicate more time with very diminishing returns to eek a little more out (those that want to lift every day of the week or nearly every day).

To get a decent full body workout you only need 3 exercises, full leg, upper body pull, upper body push. You can up it to 6 exercises and get an excellent full body workout (2 of each). Add in some ab/core work and you've got a very effective program that really maximizes the efficiency of your time and works everything (or not, abs aren't a necessity, they do get worked, however only their stabilizing function).

Legs:

Squat in its various forms

Deadlift

Straight Leg (Romanian) Deadlift (I personally think better in combo with a squat than a regular deadlift)

Upper Body Pull:

Pull ups / Chin ups

Rows (upright, bent over, seated, etc...)

Curls (not a good full body exercise, because it is too individual muscle targeted, however it is an upper body pull exercise)

Upper Body Push:

Pushups

Bench Press

Overhead Press

If you are looking to build muscle and get stronger, full body is usually the way to go since it tends to cause the body to release more growth hormones than individual part/muscle targeted workouts. (also why targeted workouts are better for the chemically enhanced lifter, who have no need to maximize the body's natural hormone production). Beginners might not recover fast enough to lift full body 3x a week. Probably better to start with 2x a week until your body is ready for the extra day.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!