Forums are back in action! ×

i hate to beat a dead horse but i'm gonna re-ask a question

I was under the impression that more reps at a lower weight was more conducive to weight loss as it's more of a cardio workout with dumbbells (Or whatever) which is kind of what I'm doing for weight loss and a timid, shy introduction to strength training/meat head zone of the gym (it's okay, I have New Rules on the way, I'll take one training wheel off soon!)

Whereas heavier weights is better for muscle gain (and therefore fat loss)

But I could be wrong.. very wrong. :)

you are. :)

muscle gain != fat loss.

when you're gaining muscle, you're eating in surplus.

lifting heavy will get you stronger and will help you lose less muscle while losing weight (you can never lose 100% fat or gain 100% muscle)

id go with starting strength over new rules.

and lift heavy. sets of five.

ignore the scale.

oh, and do burpees.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
the way i see it, you have to talk to lots of different people. see what worked for them. maybe your wife likes to take a step class - does she like how the instructor looks? if so, talk to her and see what she does and how she got to where she is...what kinds of workouts.

how the instructor or coach looks is not always a good indication of their ability to train you.

i've learned some awesome things from people who aren't in the top shape of their life.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

thought so....

wait..... "Honey. if you lift with me. i'll do one week of dishes for every day you lift and prove it"

that might work.

edit:

how the instructor or coach looks is not always a good indication of their ability to train you.

i've learned some awesome things from people who aren't in the top shape of their life.

so very true.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

no but what i'm getting at is that there is more than one way to get in shape and be healthy. most people (myself included) aren't really motivated by how much they can lift (sorry but i admit it) but are motivated by how they want to look. i'm not saying ask the step instructor to train you, but do your research by going out and talking to people to find out what works for them. we're all different and you'll likely say "wow i would never want to do that" to some ideas and "hmmm that sounds like fun" to other ideas. you'll be introduced to various ways of getting in shape and maybe one of those people your wife talks to will recommend weight lifting. if she sees someone she admires/wants to look like that does it, it might be the little extra push she needs to give it a shot.

or just offer to do the laundry.

I've been lifting heavy things for about three months after years of high rep/isolation type training. I'm doing a 5x5 routine at the moment, I love the simplicity and how it doesn't take all that long but I feel absolutely smashed afterwards. (In a good way)

I can now squat and dead about 90% of my body weight and bench about 50 %. Doing these compound movements has done wonders for my core. My arms and legs look smaller, much smaller. I'm probably a little broader across the chest but have lost the armpit squidge.

But more than that, I get a real sense of achievement from upping my weights, I feel strong, coordinated and like my posture has improved.

For me, weight loss (or fat loss) comes from good diet. I took me years of wearing myself out training every day (cardio/running/kickboxing) and not loosing a whole lot to figure out diet was the key.

Doing these compound movements has done wonders for my core.

But more than that, I get a real sense of achievement from upping my weights, I feel strong, coordinated and like my posture has improved.

weight loss (or fat loss) comes from good diet. I took me years of wearing myself out training every day (cardio/running/kickboxing) and not loosing a whole lot to figure out diet was the key.

weight loss (or fat loss) comes from good diet. I took me years of wearing myself out training every day (cardio/running/kickboxing) and not loosing a whole lot to figure out diet was the key.

This.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now

no but what i'm getting at is that there is more than one way to get in shape and be healthy. most people (myself included) aren't really motivated by how much they can lift (sorry but i admit it) but are motivated by how they want to look. i'm not saying ask the step instructor to train you, but do your research by going out and talking to people to find out what works for them. we're all different and you'll likely say "wow i would never want to do that" to some ideas and "hmmm that sounds like fun" to other ideas. you'll be introduced to various ways of getting in shape and maybe one of those people your wife talks to will recommend weight lifting. if she sees someone she admires/wants to look like that does it, it might be the little extra push she needs to give it a shot.

or just offer to do the laundry.

As I said in my previous posts, if you want to try a 15-20 rep scheme, go for it.

if you really want to, try them both out and see what you like.

But if you don't then try different things and figure out what works for you.

I'm very aware that not everyone is motivated by how much they can lift, and that most people are motivated by how they look naked (hey, this motivates me too, not going to lie...) I wasn't always motivated by lifting numbers. My first goal when I started working out was to become one of the skinny girls on the ellipticals.

At my lightest, doing a ton of elliptical and tiny little weights at high rep schemes, I was miserable and hated my body. Then I started lifting heavy and finally started seeing results and being happy with my body. So that's the experience I can tell you.

If you're so convinced that this guy has 12 years of experience and can't be wrong, then listen to his experience, and not ours.

And all I was saying is that you can learn a lot from people who do not look the way you want to. Just because their personal diet is off doesn't mean they don't hold the knowledge and passion to train you correctly. One of my best instructors ever was in his 70's and overweight. That had nothing to do with what rep scheme you're going to choose.

ebm, find something you enjoy, if it's high rep low weight weight, or vise versa, or swimming, or running, aerobics! Just find what you like and stick with it. Make it habbit. You post with some regularity about being hyped and then being down on exercise, you need to find a constant. Then down the track you can try a different routine for variation and comparison.

I find that a constant progression in weights feels good, because I'm acheiving something, I want to do better next time, and the time after. I find it motivating and enjoyable. I keep coming back.

If you enjoy what the trainer is showing you, and you think you want to keep doing it for a while, thats better than following other's advice and dropping it after 2 weeks.

i was referring more to the post above about getting his wife interested in weight lifting.

sorry, maybe i'm just coming off bitchy tonight. first meal out where there was like one thing on the menu that fit into this 30 day challenge. i probably need to take a break from the site for awhile.

i was referring more to the post above about getting his wife interested in weight lifting.

sorry, maybe i'm just coming off bitchy tonight. first meal out where there was like one thing on the menu that fit into this 30 day challenge. i probably need to take a break from the site for awhile.

i may be coming off as bitchy as well - because, well. i'm super cranky from my lack of sugar and carbs.

if you need a break, take it, but we are here to support - but we're only able to tell you our experiences, so its up to you to choose who to believe.

and yeah, paleo is hard at first. ridiculously hard. i wish you luck.

out of curiosity, when have i ever said anything that seemed down on exercise?

I could be confused and didn't mean to offend, sorry if I did. I thought I recalled an discussion like that from when I joined. There was also the thread you started to announce your return to the gym with your boy friend and arranging this trainer, you were excited to return which I thought imbed you were down on it for a period. Again, sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, I only want to encourage you. Itd be a shame if you took a break from the forums, it's good having your input.

Good luck to you in your endevours.

My only advice is from my experience is that I know that if im lifting more and more weight, im burning more calories, first with the workout itself getting more difficult, and secondly larger muscles burn more calories at rest. I'm doing this to get in shape and look good. The getting strong, is a bonus. A huge one but if i could do easy workouts and achieve the same body related goals I probably would.

There are many ways to get in shape, but picking heavy things up and putting them down again seems to have more benefits, while giving people a body they want.

You are only going to turn into some muscled-up freak if you start taking testosterone steroids and being able to lift a few 100KG and already having the genetic disposition for it.

Oz.

you are. :)

muscle gain != fat loss.

when you're gaining muscle, you're eating in surplus.

lifting heavy will get you stronger and will help you lose less muscle while losing weight (you can never lose 100% fat or gain 100% muscle).

Not necessarily. It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously (possibly not exactly simultaneously, but when viewed over a time scale such as a week, yes, simultaneously), though it becomes more and more difficult as bodyfat % drops to the point where calories, macronutrients, and timing have to be precise.

I think some of the keys are that you can't be losing fat at the maximum sustained rate (via calorie count). The body can only burn so much fat a week over a sustained period. Eat right to that number via calories and the best you can hope to do is not lose muscle. However back off from that maximum sustained rate and you can do both (building muscle takes calories). However noone really knows where that line is, and it is different for everybody, and it varies with bodyfat %. Also you have to keep your protein up to building levels (near 1 g/lean body weight) despite the calorie deficit. As you lose though to a lower bodyfat %, it becomes important to try to concentrate the calories in peak muscle building times. It isn't as efficient as excess calorie bulking, but it does work, especially if you have a lot of fat to lose.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

hello to anyone reading this thread. i wanted to apologize for some of my posts last night. i think that i may have let my insecurities get the better of me and it may have led to some unpleasantness. for what it's worth, i'm going to chalk up my responses/feelings to 70% actual emotion and 30% outside factors (paleo transition and some relationship issues from earlier in the weekend...ultimately, my fuse was way shorter than it usually is and i was way more easily offended).

i felt hurt because, despite my usual tendency to regard any information gathered in a forum setting as very impersonal, i really feel like i've grown attached to this community. and i guess i felt like i was being looked down on or shunned in some way.

in regards to the topic, yes, it does seem that all the evidence points to heavy lifting and low reps as being a better way to achieve my fitness goals. still, i think that there are alot of things that i can learn from this trainer. i guess ultimately i'll just have to try it myself and see how it goes.

lastly, lachy and spezzy, i'm sorry if i attacked you but i guess i felt attacked myself at the time. i know you only meant to help. yes, i have mentioned in the past that i've gone through periods where i am very enthusiastic about exercise and times when i'm not a huge fan. that is a large part of why i joined this community - it helps keep me motivated. i look forward to the day that i can say with certainty that exercise is just a part of my life and not something that i am "on a kick" with. i'm working on it. one day at a time.

thanks for letting me share this with you. i hope yall can forgive the indiscretion :)

emily

That was you having a short fuse? Man, you are like the nicest person I've encountered on the interwebs. Don't worry about it ebm. We're all here to learn and share our experiences. Learn as much as you can through experience and then figure out what is right for you.

We'll do our very best to help you along the way. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle