Forums are back in action! ×

alone at the gym?

Random question, but what do you do if there's no one else at your gym for exercises like bench press with no spotter?

I wasn't worried about doing dead lifts with barbells because you can just drop the weight, but I can totally see myself getting stuck under the bar. And I can totally see myself trying to lift too much.

I could just use dumbbells....but I am being stubborn. And paleo bitchy.

Thoughts? I only have a week before I go back to school and will have to fight for a bench with the Jersey Shore.

Well firstly, dont attempt any 1 rep max weights without a spot.

If your concerned with your working weight, bring it down to your chest as slow as possible and using arms and chests roll it to your waist and onto your thighs. It what i used to do in a gym that had no bench rack, just benches.

Just be sensible, and dont use weights that are out of your comfort zone.

You've got a number of options with the bench press:

1) Do it inside a power rack like you would squats so you can have the pins either side of you to catch the bar if you can't lift it to the top

2) If you fail on a rep do the 'roll of shame', lower the bar to your body, roll it down to your thighs and carefully lift it to the ground (not particularly well explained but you can find videos on youtube of people doing it)

3) Tilt the bar so the weights slide of each side. Probably not ideal as a) there's a potential danger if someone is too close to you (unlikely but possible) and B) its gonna make a big bang and probably draw a lot of attention to yourself

Probably not ideal as a) there's a potential danger if someone is too close to you (unlikely but possible) and B) its gonna make a big bang and probably draw a lot of attention to yourself

There was also a story around my old gym that someone once put a plate through the floor doing that, and into the parking garage below!

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I've done the roll of shame in my garage before as I have no spotter. I wouldn't even think about trying for a 1rm without one.

Side ditching is fun but noisy, though its worth mentioning you usually get two bang-clatters, one for each side. Awesome noise though :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was "that guy" bemchimg in the power cage, during our MMM a few weeks back. There was only like three other people in the gym and I didn't feel like bothering them, so I used the safety arms to catch the bar when I inevitably dropped the weight on my chest.

And...I'm a huge proponent of the roll of shame. Just be sure to place your neck past the arms of the bench, so you so t have to fear choking to death. The roll of shame is quite easy to master.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

As long as the gym isn't busy I do my benching in the power cage. I set the safety bars so that they are below my chest level but higher than my hips/gut. That way, if I fail, I can roll of shame the bar off my chest down to the safety pins around my waist and get out from under it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You've got a number of options with the bench press:

1) Do it inside a power rack like you would squats so you can have the pins either side of you to catch the bar if you can't lift it to the top

2) If you fail on a rep do the 'roll of shame', lower the bar to your body, roll it down to your thighs and carefully lift it to the ground (not particularly well explained but you can find videos on youtube of people doing it)

3) Tilt the bar so the weights slide of each side. Probably not ideal as a) there's a potential danger if someone is too close to you (unlikely but possible) and B) its gonna make a big bang and probably draw a lot of attention to yourself

i never use a spotter for bench press. i use these three things above :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Another thing I forgot to mention is to just get to know your body so you can anticipate/know when you aren't going to be able to manage a rep. It's difficult though because if you are trying to push yourself you may ignore your gut feeling and end up failing and having to do the roll of shame or whatever. On the other hand you can misjudge it the other way and not push yourself hard enough because you don't believe you'll be able to make the next rep (when actually you may well be able to). Personally I think doing it in a power rack is the best option. Confidence is important and knowing that you're not going to get trapped/hurt yourself will really help in that respect

I am almost always alone in my gym - which I love because I don't have to fight over the weights!

I do all my work in the power rack, like people have suggested. And it can be hard to predict when you're not going to be able to do a rep - just this morning, I did a set of 5 and then my second set I totally failed at 2, which I didn't expect. Dropped the bar down to the wonderful safety supports and just squeezed out from underneath and reset.

I totally trust the safety bars more than a spotter who might get distracted by something at the wrong moment. :P

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

Random question, but what do you do if there's no one else at your gym for exercises like bench press with no spotter?...

...Thoughts? I only have a week before I go back to school and will have to fight for a bench with the Jersey Shore.

<<< may i suggest a refreshing energy drink?

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

The roll works fine, smith or power rack are also decent options. I use dumbbells for incline and flat bench so I never get trapped under a bar. I've also done the embarassing slide-off accidentally while several people were in the gym. :redface:

I'm gonna disagree about the Smith Machine. Don't use the Smith Machine. I won't retread all the arguments against it but needless to say you'll get much more from doing regular bench presses with free weights in a power rack. As for dumbbells, they have their place but you're never going to be able to bench as much with dumbbells as you are with a barbell

Yea, there's really NOONE around. I go before work or after work, so either at 3am or midnight (oh the benefits of a 24 hour gym...). Today when I went I didn't even have to sign in, just walked right in because no one was at the desk. Kind of creepy.

I also disagree with the smith machine--it almost killed me with squats. Back in my pre-NF days I thought I could squat a LOT more than I could because I was using the smith machine and tried that with just a bar and weights in the squat rack--I don't think I need to elaborate anymore :)

Tomorrow I'm definitely trying this :) thanks everyone!!!

Am I the only one who really dislikes unsecured plates?

Not that I'm OCD about it, or would have just ordered some lovely lockjaw collars, no no...

I get weirded out seeing people without clips on their bars. Especially when I see brosef spotters sliding more plates on while the bar is still in the guys hands. You know instead of racking the bar and loading up like a normal person.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I get weirded out seeing people without clips on their bars. Especially when I see brosef spotters sliding more plates on while the bar is still in the guys hands. You know instead of racking the bar and loading up like a normal person.

Please tell me that doesn't really happen...

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I dont generally clip on the bar except for OHP and occaisionally Deadlift.

Squats they dont tend to move same with other exercises, and there is a good foot of bar beyond the plates.

You have to put the bar at quite a severe angle for them to slide off, and generally something has really gone wrong if that is the case!!

Oz.

I dont generally clip on the bar except for OHP and occaisionally Deadlift.

Squats they dont tend to move same with other exercises, and there is a good foot of bar beyond the plates.

You have to put the bar at quite a severe angle for them to slide off, and generally something has really gone wrong if that is the case!!

Oz.

If you ever have to dump the squat bar, not having clips could be a bad idea.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf