Forums are back in action! ×

Last Eight Months= WOOT!

So the last post I made on this subject was around May 23rd of 2011. I was posting about how I had gotten some interviews, including one for a regional fire academy, so i think I should probably update you all on how I have progressed since then.

So I went to the interview at the Fire Academy, and NAILED IT! I was soon sent a letter congratulating me on my acceptance into the Academy. I spent the next three months doing some of the most physical, intense, and psychotic things I have ever done in my life. Along with the Academy, my local department paid for me to enroll in a emergency medical class, which I also passed right around the same time that I graduated the Academy. As I got pass both of those I was finally hired onto the department as a paid on call firefighter four days ago. I am loving every minute of work. I am also enrolled in an EMT school so i can eventually become a firefighter/paramedic

As far as fitness goes, a lot has changed there as well. I have lost forty pounds since July, ten of that in the academy, while continuing to gain strength and increasing my cardio times. I started the Academy being just barely able to run one mile, and I now run three or four every other day and around seven to eight on weekends. I am also participating in a air climb in Detroit in march, climbing up a 70 story building in full firefighting gear for the American Lung Association (Donate here if so inclined: http://action.lungusa.org/site/TR/Climb/ALAML_Midland_States?px=4743913&pg=personal&fr_id=3641 )

So basically, I feel like I have been kicking some serious ass over the last couple months, and felt the need to share. Nerd Fitness is the website that got me going on being healthy and working out, and this community has helped keep me motivated. Thank you all!

Excellent. A bunch of my co-workers do that climb every year. Last year, I had thought that I would do it this year, but I had a few things derail me a bit last fall (including starting smoking again like a dumbass, but I will quit again and make it stick). One of the Sr. Vice-Presidents holds the record for my company. I don't know if he is doing it this year, but last year he had tweaked his knee playing soccer (or football as he would call it, as he is from the UK). Have fun with that, and I hope you make your donation goals.