Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone! New here, looking to take on a new challenge

Hello, fellow nerdy fitness buffs! I'm a NJ based guy, in reasonably good shape already with not-entirely-horrible exercise and nutrition habits. About two years ago I trained for and ran a half marathon, had a blast and have been trying to stay fit since and now I want to get a little more serious about it, shed about 5 more pounds of fat, and bulk up a little bit through strength training. Not that I want to look like a 'roided out mutant, but a little more definition would be nice.

I stumbled upon NF earlier today, and from what I've already read I can already tell I'll be sticking around (and I still have a dozen open tabs worth of past articles to get into). I was reading an article about a 6 week challenge to do 1000 of an exercise in 6 weeks. When it suggested push ups my initial thought was "Pfft, I could probably 1000 push ups in ONE week."* Then I thought "Hey, I bet I actually COULD do 1000 push ups in a single week!" and decided, why not?

I'm hoping to start this pretty soon, the only problem is to find 7 consecutive days in which I'm not already booked with fitness related activities. I'm travelling this week, and next weekend I'll be meeting my brother to go skiing for a couple days, so I want to keep hammering away at my legs to prepare myself for that. My current level of push up aptitude is the ability to do sets of 30/30/until I can't, which usually ends up being 70-80 total. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on how to structure the challenge so I incorporate some recovery days where I don't do any.

Also it's rare for me to go 7 days without meeting my sister to work out at the rock climbing gym. I doubt it'll be a problem since that's mainly a back/biceps/forearm sort of exercise but I assume 2 hours climbing will sap my energy a little for that day.

Any advice/encouragement would be appreciated.

*Oh, and I don't want to be dismissive of anyone whose goal IS to do 1000 push ups in 6 weeks. If that's where you are and you're pushing yourself to achieve it then more power to you!

Welcome, I'm from Philly and currently in Morris County!

I'm at about the same level of pushups as you, or I was when I stopped paying attention to them. If your goal is purely the number, I'd say don't do more than 1 set at a time. Drop and do 30 every hour (I forget what that type of working out is called, it's got a name though) Throughout the day. You should be able to get 250 a day I would think.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Crazy, I'm right in Morristown myself, at least for the short term.

Yeah, the number 1000 was kinda arbitrary. Maybe I should boost it to a nice round number like 1024 [/xkcd]

I previously crapped out of the Hundred Pushups Challenge, not my proudest moment but I did make some progress while I was doing it. Weeks 5 and 6 were just too big a jump for me.

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

That's the program I was doing too. I got to sets of Mid 30's and I dropped out foot to pursue other workouts. I do wanna pick it up again, just not on a daily basis. Maybe a non lifting day thing or something.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf