Forums are back in action! ×

over training real?

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

I want to hear nerd fiters actual experiences. not what you've heard or whatever. Can you tell me what Over training actually is and have you experienced it and how to know it's happened?

Why?

because I'm considering doing a convict conditioning program in the mornings as a hard circuit program and then strong lifts at night only 3 days a week. with of course wrestling on the weekends.

I was told this is too much, they said "hey brucey, you shouldnt do that yo. You be overtained and shizzle." (no one i know talks this way p.s.)

and I said, "well i guess i'll look into this."

I am seeing people say its for real and others say it doesnt exist. Your thoughts?

In high school when I was playing sports every season I had practice at night sometimes followed by strength and conditioning programs, but additionally I was running every morning to try and get in better shape. It was generally 4+ hours of training a day. After a few weeks of this, maybe even a month, I crashed and in games I could barely compete. I was always tired but had a hard time sleeping at the same time. My parents brought me to the doctor who said I was overtraining but to be honest I don't think my diet was adapted to the training regimen. I ate crappy foods and my go-to snack was a bagel.

Edit: I asked my parents what they saw and why they ended up bringing me to the doctor. I was actually eating >5000 calories with a lot of lean meat and overall fairly healthy. I was peeing brown and/or blood. If you touched my skin it would bruise. Some mornings I couldn't get out of bed, and could NEVER concentrate in school. Yes, I definitely overtraining and I was very sick. Yes, it's possible. No, I will never do that again and I absolutely ease into training now.

Guest guest4729

I think this really seems to depend on the person and how their body adjusts to it. Spezzy says she works out like twice a day almost every day and her body is used to it. She's also mentioned that sometimes she does take a day (or possibly a few days) off to relax. Other people seem to only be able to work out every other day and some can barely make it through a single workout in one day. From what I've been reading and noticing with other people is...it depends.

It might be something that could happen if you overwhelm your body by doing too much too fast. Maybe you just need to slowly work your way into it so your body has to adjust to your work out schedule. I think a lot of it has to do with not giving your muscles enough time to repair themselves which could result in pain or injury.

That's just my two cents from observation, though.

Guest Snake McClain
yeah, its real.

who created this program?

aren't you just coming off injury?

1) that's what i'm trying to learn about. as it stands a lot of articles are explaining it well. interesting stuff.

2) I did. sort of.

3) I am. why?

spezzy be grillin' you, yo.

nothing unusual about that.

1) that's what i'm trying to learn about. as it stands a lot of articles are explaining it well. interesting stuff.

2) I did. sort of.

3) I am. why?

Can't really just mix and match programs like that.

You also really need to ease yourself back into a training program after injury. You can't just hop back in doing three different programs a day three times a week. Actually, you shouldn't even come back from injury and do a three a day even once. Especially with heavy lifting or high intensity involved.

Take some time and learn about your body, every muscle in it, what it does, what each exercise does, what each one works (primary and secondary)

Then learn about programming and what movements are good to put together and what one's aren't. Learn about recovery, what movements need more recovery and what movements need less.

Without all of that, you're at risk of overtraining, yes.

It takes a lot of time educating yourself and learning your body to be able to consistently do 2-3 a days.

And if you do decide to go ahead with this anyways and your pee starts turning a brownish coke color, please head to the hospital immediately. :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Guest Snake McClain

All advice has been taken to heart and i will keep it in mind and do some research.

And if you do decide to go ahead with this anyways and your pee starts turning a brownish coke color, please head to the hospital immediately. :)

I actually know a guy who did 500 hindu squats before a match. The next day he peed BLACK. muscle fibers in the urine stream as he put it. I'll definitely not be doing this.

why would his pee turn brown?

long story short when your muscles break down they release myoglobin into your blood stream and it ends up in your urine.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

The brown pee would be due to rhabdomyolysis - his muscles would be more broken down than his kidneys can process and the protein gets excreted. All the trauma from wrestling would put Bruce more at risk from that.

When I was bike racing I dealt with overtraining on occasion. The first sign for me was being too lazy to shave, also an elevated morning heart rate, loss of apetite, and an inability to put in a hard effort or to raise my heart rate when riding. I didn't let it get past that, once I was lost my appetite I knew it was time to spend some quality couch time. I have no idea if it manifests itself differently in strength athletes.

It seems to me that treating your body like pro football players and spending Monday and Tuesday just on recovery after getting beat up on the weekend would be a good idea.

edit:I'm a slow typer.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Guest guest4729
All advice has been taken to heart and i will keep it in mind and do some research.

I actually know a guy who did 500 hindu squats before a match. The next day he peed BLACK. muscle fibers in the urine stream as he put it. I'll definitely not be doing this.

That...that is horrifying...I did not know that was possible. Oh god...I think I would scream if I peed black. Unless it somehow gave me super human powers. Otherwise that's just...that's...so scary. .____.;;

Guest Snake McClain
That...that is horrifying...I did not know that was possible. Oh god...I think I would scream if I peed black. Unless it somehow gave me super human powers. Otherwise that's just...that's...so scary. .____.;;

haha, yeah he was terrified. he was calling everyone. freaking out. could hardly walk. note that it was only so bad because he didnt do hindu squats in that volume before. i do about 100-150 depending on my mood broken up before during and after my lifting. so could i do 500? no way. but he wasn't even doing what i was and just went for it.

I would like to be as thorough as Spezzy and say all that, and actually do all that, and more than likely it would eliminate any of the standard overtraining issues. That is if your body is ready for it, you've built up the pre-required level of strength and fitness.

Over training is real for me. Personal experience from my first year of grade rugby. Started doing unsupervised n00b gym sessions Mon Wed Feb + Rugby training Tues Thurs + Game Sat. Ended up in a season ending injury and massive fatigue.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Rhabdo is more of an acute condition not a chronic one. If you're overtrained it's going to be hard to do enough damage to yourself quickly enough in a workout to bring on rhabdo. Now undertrained (from a previous state) and over-enthusiastic?

Overtraining is a complex thing and often one is better off doing less rather than more. Especially when beginner to intermediate strength gains are the goal. If you want to get bigger and stronger you have to give your body time to do that. No one ever got bigger in the gym. If you're trying to do that I wouldn't be doing 150 reps of anything in a week let alone a day.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Rhabdo is more of an acute condition not a chronic one. If you're overtrained it's going to be hard to do enough damage to yourself quickly enough in a workout to bring on rhabdo. Now undertrained (from a previous state) and over-enthusiastic?

Yup. I think rhabdo though when i see "come off injury and rest and immediately jump into a 3x a day training program with a high intensity workout involved"

Guest Snake McClain
Yup. I think rhabdo though when i see "come off injury and rest and immediately jump into a 3x a day training program with a high intensity workout involved"

where is 3x a day coming in? I work out 3 x a week. Unless i made a typo....

You said HIIT in the morning, plus SL at night, and then weightlifting occassionally.

From my experience, you need to ease into increasing your volume. You have to build up your work capacity, find out how your body responds to increased load, and above all, make sure you are recovering properly (enough food, water, sleep, mobility).

Not trying to be mean, but you seem to really lack patience. You've been doing SL now what, a month, two at most? And you're just coming off an injury, and you want to do MORE?

Like others have said, you need to ease back into your normal routine, before even considering adding extra, or you're just going to wind up injured again.

unlike most amateur athletes, i think bruce is trying to become a professional athlete, and unfortunately they don't have the luxury of time. it is perform now or never and you have to take every avenue and shortcut to get there including sacrificing the body to give people what they want... whatever that may be... sad, but sometimes i feel sorry for pro athletes even if they're making millions... when they're not making millions, it's really tragic... hey but at least they get to do what they love... hopefully... for a while...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Guest Snake McClain
unlike most amateur athletes, i think bruce is trying to become a professional athlete, and unfortunately they don't have the luxury of time. it is perform now or never and you have to take every avenue and shortcut to get there including sacrificing the body to give people what they want... whatever that may be... sad, but sometimes i feel sorry for pro athletes even if they're making millions... when they're not making millions, it's really tragic... hey but at least they get to do what they love... hopefully... for a while...

this is absolutely true. However I do have a year to be ready. I just try to jump start everything without steroids or supplements (totally different discussion). So for me the "shortcuts" are what else can I do to work harder. and really i don't think doing a 20-30 minute body weight routine in the morning as a circuit seems unreasonable. Like to me its laughable. i do it on my lunch breaks sometimes out of boredom. then i'll go that day do strong lift. I just haven't done it on a consistent basis thus the question for the overtraining. But it's cool I've got it all sorted out. As it stands I'll just ease into lifting again (which I've alrady done) and implement a few more body weight things into those days during my session.

I was told this is too much, they said "hey brucey, you shouldnt do that yo. You be overtained and shizzle." (no one i know talks this way p.s.)

I talk like this IRL. Don't hate. :)

I think it can depend on the person, but for the majority, or to be general, yes I think overtraining can happen. When I was training for my fight we trained 5 days a week in the gym and were given other things to do outside the gym (runs and such).

Some symptoms I experienced: hard time sleeping, excessive fatigue. I took a day or two off that I usually wouldn't take off and was back to normal. Those are symptoms people frequently report so if you start training hard and all of a sudden can't sleep at night, take it down a notch.

But your body will likely get used to training you put it through. So, work at it. Just listen to your body. Your body won't steer you wrong, Brucey.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!