Forums are back in action! ×

Treating a Cold

I've had a cold for going on a month now. I'm not sure if it's the same cold; I suspect, since it renewed with vigor last week, that it's two colds in a row. I'm a teacher, so getting colds isn't really a surprise or a mystery, and all the kids are sick, too.

But - how do you treat a cold, especially if you still have to go into work that day? I've been struggling through this week, though I'm taking tomorrow off for a doctor's appt. I eat paleo, and I try to eat a wide variety of vegetables. I discovered one of the Asian supermarkets in the area makes chicken stew with ginseng and ate some of that this week. I plan to try and make some myself.

Any other suggestions on fighting this cold and getting better?

I'm so sorry you've been sick for so long! When I was teaching I had a chronic case of bronchitis - no fun!

Anyway I don't know great "cures" - but upping my vitamin D3 intake has always helped. Every time I feel the onset of something, I up my vitamin D to 10,000 IU a day, and take some extra zinc and C. I don't know if it'll help you at this point, but it's worth a shot!

(I've also tried Neti Pots and they've actually seemed to help - but with the recent news coming out about them idk if I'd use them again. sad day.)

Hope you feel better~

I take a giant chewable vitamin C pill you can get at CVS and tastes like oranges. I eat one every morning once I start feeling symptoms. That with some extra water and extra sleep will fix you up.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I up my vit D as well, to 10,000 IU a day, (normally 4 thousand). And I get the juicer out. I juice like a madman for the duration of the cold.

i juice oranges, kiwi, carrots, kale, beets, cabbage, broccoli, apples. It gets wild and crazy, but I find it helps me along.

And I don't know what the fuck, but ever since I started eating wheat germ (add to morning protien shake) I have not had a cold. and my son has brought several home(he's 5)

. and I have steered clear. I don't know why. maybe it's a coincidence, but I keep eating it. just in case. :)

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Whenever I get sick I try to set some 'me' time aside when I can - I won't take a sick day for a cold but I'll take it easy after work. Being de-stressed always makes me recover more quickly. I also tend to take an extra shower each day, especially when I'm in the snotty nasty gross phase of my colds, as it makes me feel better.

If it's just a runny nose, I find that large amounts of boiling hot water cures that. I basically always have a themos of boiling water on me. If there's any way to mimic a steam room (hot shower, hot bath) that helps a lot as well. Also, don't sniffle--blow your nose. Build up of snot is not desirable... As far as food goes, painfully hot and spicy is best. Soup with ginger or garlic, or just adding wasabi to everything. Hot food/drink is good for a sore throat as well, especially if you add some honey. Cough drops can be foul tasting, but they're also lifesavers if you have to give a presentation or something when you're losing your voice.

"It is not childish to live with uncertainty, to devote oneself to a craft rather than a career, to an idea rather than an institution." -Mamet