Forums are back in action! ×

Vent.

IndigoBanshee, I kind of want to kick your friend's husband >.<.

I think it was linked on another thread, but there was an article with a survey of 2,000 women and more of them would rather be overweight than muscular O.o. In addition their idea of "too muscular" was Jessica Beil and Hillary Swank... Seriously? While there is a stereotype that men aren't into muscular women, I think the majority of the muscle bashing is between women. I don't mean to generalize, but in my experience women can be pretty terrible when it comes to supporting each other.

Agreed that women can be really tough on each other's bodies, but I still think there's a grain of truth in the stereotype that guys like thin girls. When I told people I was starting lifting, I got the same "But you'll bulk up!!" response from both men and women. A few women said," Right on!" (I think it helps they're all martial arts girls like me), but none of the guys seemed to think it was a good idea. It seems weight lifting for women is only acceptable if it helps a woman get toned... aka, still slim and lean.

"Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself." -Mark Twain

Agreed that women can be really tough on each other's bodies, but I still think there's a grain of truth in the stereotype that guys like thin girls. When I told people I was starting lifting, I got the same "But you'll bulk up!!" response from both men and women. A few women said," Right on!" (I think it helps they're all martial arts girls like me), but none of the guys seemed to think it was a good idea. It seems weight lifting for women is only acceptable if it helps a woman get toned... aka, still slim and lean.

Most men really don't know anything more about weight lifting than women. They might know more about form and a greater variety of exercises, but that's about it. The lifting industry caters to men mostly, and for the most part the knowledge base is created by 'roid users and suppliment companies (whose models are generally 'roid users).

Most guys couldn't construct a plan for a women to get her into the most desirable state for him.

Most guys think this is what will happen to them if they were to lift weights regularly:

extreme-bodybuilder.jpg

Thus they also think if a woman were to do the same, they end up like:

34%252BNancy%252BLewis%252BUSA-787990.jpg

...which isn't very attractive....

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Eh, I think you'd find that that is a very small but vocal subset of the male population. Most guys I know find underweight girls gross. I think that a lot of girls think that guys prefer the underweight look, but guys really prefer the athletic look. You find a lot more pictures of famous "hot" athletes in magazines like Maxim than you do the super skinny supermodels.

^^^^^ This! + some subtle curves ;-)

GoToTheGround"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo TolstoyTwitter | My 130lb weight-loss journey in photos & words 

Thus they also think if a woman were to do the same, they end up like:

34%252BNancy%252BLewis%252BUSA-787990.jpg

...which isn't very attractive....

I think it's pretty attractive..., , otoh... there's a difference between muscular and scary...

BB.jpg

but muscular doesn't have to mean unattractive...

imgres-9.jpeg

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Oh, I do love a good rant/vent!

People want it to be easy, fast, and temporary. Which is what a lot of "fads" promise. To make regular and consistant progress overtime through sustained effort and change seems harder, so people choose the easy way. They'll either keep repeating the mistake with a new fad, or they'll give up and "accept their body just the way it is", or they'll see the light. Not many see the light though.

EDIT:

Ohhhh pictures ...

Fit women > skinny women (IMO)

I am with you gamma....women controlling women is the secret of society today! LOL but I opted out cause I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of me and most of my dearest friends are men with the exception of a few wild women.

I know from experience, from my male friends etc. that most men adore a woman with some meat on their bones. In fact I overheard a guy who was dating a runway model say to his friend, shit, its nice to have her on my arm but going to bed with her is like screwing a bicycle...I had to stifle a laugh!

I think the most important thing is for YOU to feel good about YOU--curves, slow gainer, muscular etc. if you can find the place where you are jazzed by yourself then thats the right place to be!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Wow. That is all I have to say to the 'roid pics....Wow. I have never feared looking anywhere near what someone would consider muscular for a woman, in fact, I think it would be fun to look that way.

I agree with everyone on the women are hard on each other commentary. Its true, women are far meaner about physical appearance towards each other and seem to put more importance on it that how men might view us. It seems silly to me. That is also why I make far better friends with guys, girls are downright mean sometimes.

As far as the ideal body type on a woman, I only have this to add......My goal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1480[/ATTACH]

The fact that it is a Nike add doesn't mean anything to me, it is the fact that I have the potential to have an ass that fantastic.

post-4350-13567243284398_thumb.jpg

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I LOVE Gina C's figure in those weigh in pics.

I agree that the pressure from women's media is way worse than anything we get from men. Although what bugs me about those skinny model v plus size model articles is that there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.. Being as skinny as a catwalk model is unhealthy for most people as is having a waist of over 33'. Where are the regular, healthy girls represented?