Forums are back in action! ×

What dumbbell set would you recommend?

After finally gathering the courage necessary to post on these forums in the form of an introduction, alot of questions have been buzzing through my brain. One of them is the subject of this thread. I've tried searching the forums for anything related but I couldn't find much.

I'm looking for an inexpensive, beginner dumbbell set that I can start incorporating into my exercises as I start on my road to being fit. At the moment I'm using alot of objects around my house for things like the Beginner Body Weight Workout, but I'd like something more fitness-focused. I was looking at these but I wanted some of the community to sign off on them before I went ahead and decided to purchase them. If any of you have any other recommendations, that would be awesome as well and please feel free to post them.

Also, I hope I put this in the right category of the forums... If not, feel free to move it if possible.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VIRHEILM, LEVEL 1 HUMAN ADVENTURER

"A year from now you will wish you had started today." ~ Karen Lamb

[TD=align: center]

ATTRIBUTES

STRENGTH: 2

DEXTERITY: 2

STAMINA: 2

CONSTITUTION: 3

WISDOM: 3

CHARISMA: 3

[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TABLE]

My only concern is that you can only get 20 lbs of weight per dumb bell and you may progress past that pretty quickly. BUT, as a starter set for only 20 bucks, you could just toss em in the corner and get another set once you do progress that far without worrying too much.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've always been a fan of fixed weight hex dumbbells as opposed adjustable weight. If you don't have good enough locking collars for adjustable weight dumbbells, you will always have to be sure to do exercises that keep the weights on the bar, something that isn't an issue with fixed weight dumbbells. Whereas barbels have a max weight advantage over dumbbells, that free range of motion is an advantage that dumbbells have over barbels.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

It all really comes down to money and space for fixed weight hex dumb bells. A good sized set takes up a bunch of room and will cost you money, but yeah, they're a bit more stable. I'd go for a good adjustable set myself.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Before buying dumb bells, I'd recommend resistance bands. They sheer variety of exercises you can do with them will outpace dumb bells - especially since if you add a door to the mix, you do even more.

I'll also add that cement weights are cheap for a reason. That plastic around them gets brittle, the cement cracks, and then one day you go to pick it up and it comes apart in your hand. I just got rid of a set after spraying concrete all over the floor when it disintegrated in my hand.

Check out something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Agile-Fitness-Multi-Colored-Resistance-Band-Set-Set-of-3/

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...