Forums are back in action! ×

apparently I need to lose fat...fairly quickly

I'm currently applying to the Navy (with little chance of being commissioned this year because apparently they don't want new graduate nurses..but that's beside the point) and I need to go in for my physical within the next two weeks. I haven't been worried about it because it's really just a routine physical, and I'm under the weight requirement--for my height I need to be under 167 and I'm 150. Over the past few weeks I've been working on gaining strength, not so much losing weight.

However, I just checked my body fat % using calipers and it was 33.75%. I need to be under 33%.

Is it difficult to lose 0.75% of body fat in two weeks? My plan of action was to continue lifting and running as I am, but adding one or two days of sprints. I am following the paleo diet--only cheat was a few days ago and I had a potato.

Thoughts? Or is this totally impossible?

Edit: I'm also doing an intro at a CrossFit next week...will this help?

It's not easy but you can do it. Most of it is diet, but high reps in training helps make it efficient. Pick the one that you like best, but get started right away because there is a chance that your measurement may not be accurate and may be higher... don't freak out, it's just a possibility because all measurements have a margin of error:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kathleen-tesori-cutting-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/felicia-romero-cutting-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/michelle-hanson-cutting-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jen-rankin-cutting-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lindsay-kaye-cutting-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/laura-bailey-cutting-program.html

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

You might want to try an alternate measurement. If you beat the weight requirement for your height by that much it sends up some accuracy flags, and a scale is far more accurate than a calipers.

I know the Navy has a tape measure based formula for measuring body fat %, you might want to look that up and calculate it via that formula. I don't have a calipers, but comparing the Navy formula to another common non-calipers formula for men, the Navy's forumula has me at a significantly lower body fat % (nearly 10% lower).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

You might want to try an alternate measurement. If you beat the weight requirement for your height by that much it sends up some accuracy flags, and a scale is far more accurate than a calipers.

I know the Navy has a tape measure based formula for measuring body fat %, you might want to look that up and calculate it via that formula. I don't have a calipers, but comparing the Navy formula to another common non-calipers formula for men, the Navy's forumula has me at a significantly lower body fat % (nearly 10% lower).

I just did the tape measure...and was at 26%. This makes more sense. I was very worried about that % because I was so far under the weight max.

I just did the tape measure...and was at 26%. This makes more sense. I was very worried about that % because I was so far under the weight max.

This is why i don't measure my BF%! I'm not sure what's accurate. I do keep meaning to go have it measured in a bodypod once I have the time. I actually might be able to do it tomorrow. There isn't one near me now, but there is when I visit Philly on the weekends.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest guest4729
This is why i don't measure my BF%! I'm not sure what's accurate. I do keep meaning to go have it measured in a bodypod once I have the time. I actually might be able to do it tomorrow. There isn't one near me now, but there is when I visit Philly on the weekends.

Bodypod...? Sounds like something out of the Matrix.

Bodypod...? Sounds like something out of the Matrix.

http://www.cosmed.com/bodpodgs

it looks just like them actually.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Calvin, glad you did the tape measure test and saw that it was in the range you need to be. Calipers are notoriously off because everyone deposits fat differently. I say just exercise and eat the way you have for fitness and you should be good. You do not want to get yourself all stressed out. Best of luck in getting your commission! Rock on! Alex

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Calvin, glad you did the tape measure test and saw that it was in the range you need to be. Calipers are notoriously off because everyone deposits fat differently. I say just exercise and eat the way you have for fitness and you should be good. You do not want to get yourself all stressed out. Best of luck in getting your commission! Rock on! Alex

Thanks for the support!! :)